• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Powerline adapters instead of Wi-Fi in my house?

ohmystars80

My problem is that I there is no way to get a wired connection to my upstairs room, since the cable is downstairs only. I was thinking about Wi-Fi, but I am concerned about range and speed, and in the house it seems that Powerline will be faster and more secure. Looks like the 2 Powerline adapters will be about $50, which is a lot less than the $100 for a good 11n router.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Tp-Link...75570165&skuId=4359873&st=powerline&cp=4&lp=5

It seems like Powerline is fast and more reliable then Wireless, and about half the price - am I seeing this right?

If this is the case, why aren’t more people using Powerline in their homes? What are the advantages of Powerline? How about speed and quality?

System Name Bandit 2: Ryzen Boogaloo
Processor AMD R5 3600X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Stock
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB @ 3200
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 5700XT
Storage Samsung 960 EVO m.2 500GB; Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Display(s) Viotek GN32Q
Case Fractal Design Define C
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750
Mouse Cougar Revenger S
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 10 Professional
I've used powerline for a year and a half now. In my experience, the connection is more stable as you're not having to deal with reception issues, and the transfer rates are a load better. However, it all depends on the wiring in your house. If you have an older home, you're probably going to experience issues on just how far you can place a powerline before it experiences degradation.

I say it's definitely worth a shot to check out for yourself. I actually run both powerline adapters and wireless, but wireless only for mobile devices. As for why more people don't use it, I think it's just an issue of advertising myself.

Processor Intel® Core i5 6600
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 2400mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Geforce GTX 960 G1 4GB Gaming
Storage 256GB Intel SSD 525 Series
Display(s) 24" LG LED Monitor
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Power Supply Seasonic MK12II 620W
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 x64
I've used powerline for a year and a half now. In my experience, the connection is more stable as you're not having to deal with reception issues, and the transfer rates are a load better. However, it all depends on the wiring in your house. If you have an older home, you're probably going to experience issues on just how far you can place a powerline before it experiences degradation.

I say it's definitely worth a shot to check out for yourself. I actually run both powerline adapters and wireless, but wireless only for mobile devices. As for why more people don't use it, I think it's just an issue of advertising myself.

I definitly agree with bandit. Give powerline a shot.I used to use wireless at home, with frequent drop outs being on the edge of the range of the router. So i bought a EoP kit and wallah!No drop outs, reliable, fast.Had no troubles at all!So in a place like yours I would give it a go.and for something so cheap you cant really go wrong!

Cheers :toast:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yep, definitely give it a shot. I user powerline in a few areas in my house, it gives a much better connection than Wireless for me. I even have a powerline adapter at the desk my laptop sits on, when my laptop is on the desk, it is plugged into the powerline adapter because it gives a better connection than the Wireless N connection.