• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Powerline connection not great

alexrp1234

I play CSGO which is a pretty demanding game response wise. For me to be able to react I need to have as low latency as possible for online.
I have a powerline since the room I'm in doesn't have a network port. While using my powerline I achieve 70 ping/ms on a server. That same server using wifi I get around 23 ping/ms, HUGE difference. But when I'm on wifi my ping spikes constantly and isn't reliable enough for me to play this game on. Is there another option for me/another product so I don't have to run cables through my wall?
Mainly can't do hardline cause I live in a household with parents who aren't fans of video games in the first place. I've asked and they don't necessarily jump up when I mention I have to "cut" holes in the walls basically.

System Name The Worker/ Laptop
Processor Ryzen 5 3600/ i5 1035g1
Motherboard MSI b450 Tomahawk Max / Lenovo proprietary
Cooling Arctic Freezer 33 eSport One
Memory 16Gb DDR4 3200 Mhz Corsair vengeance LPX / 12gb ddr4 3200Mhz (4gb are soldered :( )
Video Card(s) Gigabyte gtx 1660 Ti OC @2030Mhz core and 7400Mhz memory / Intel G1 UHD
Storage 1 970Evo plus 500gb, 2x250Gb Samsung 850 Evo,3 TB HDD / 250gb WD SN530
Display(s) Asus mx259h / 15.6 FHD TN
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply CoolerMaster G750M
Software W10 64bit
I also have a powerline and sometimes can be really annoying. is the powerline only ethernet or you can also use wifi?
and a stupid thing is it connected to a power strip or directly into the wall socket?

System Name Main PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling EKWB X570 VIII Hero Monoblock, 2x XD5, Heatkiller IV SB block for chipset,Alphacool 3090 Strix block
Memory 4x16GB 3200-14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident RGB (OC: 3600-14-14-14-28)
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3090 Strix OC
Storage 500GB+500GB SSD RAID0, Fusion IoDrive2 1.2TB, Huawei HSSD 2TB, 11TB on server used for steam
Display(s) Dell LG CX48 (custom res: 3840x1620@120Hz) + Acer XB271HU 2560x1440@144Hz
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD599, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 10 Pro 20H2
I play CSGO which is a pretty demanding game response wise. For me to be able to react I need to have as low latency as possible for online.
I have a powerline since the room I'm in doesn't have a network port. While using my powerline I achieve 70 ping/ms on a server. That same server using wifi I get around 23 ping/ms, HUGE difference. But when I'm on wifi my ping spikes constantly and isn't reliable enough for me to play this game on. Is there another option for me/another product so I don't have to run cables through my wall?
Mainly can't do hardline cause I live in a household with parents who aren't fans of video games in the first place. I've asked and they don't necessarily jump up when I mention I have to "cut" holes in the walls basically.
Would running a really long ethernet cable underneath a door or keeping your door open be an option?
Otherwise I'm not sure you've got any other options.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I personally have never seen powerline adapters work with total satisfaction, except in new houses (or new wiring in older homes) and when both ends are on the same circuit.

For sure, you need to make sure your outlets are properly wired and tied to Earth ground. Every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure the wall outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I personally have never seen powerline adapters work with total satisfaction, except in new houses (or new wiring in older homes) and when both ends are on the same circuit.

I think a large part of the dissatisfaction is that people expect too much. I mean, it's using a single wire in the power system of your house(sometimes two in the really high end kits) and getting you a network connection.

My home was built in the 60s and I get good results with a 1300Mbps MIMO kit set up with one in my house and the other in a detached garage. The connection is more stable than WiFi, as OP experienced, but yes there is more latency. I mean, that only makes sense when you consider that it is converting the signal from ethernet to the powerline standard and then back to ethernet. But the latency is stable unlike WiFi that tend to give major pink spikes. It's a trade off. To me, a more steady but higher latency is actually better than a lower latency with massive spikes, because you definitely feel those spikes. And the speeds aren't bad, I get about 200Mbps in the garage.

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Have you tried MoCa adapters? Is the wi-fi signal weak to your PC? There are ways of improving the signal strength.

For sure, you need to make sure your outlets are properly wired and tied to Earth ground. Every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure the wall outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.
I use my powerline adapters in my home (built in 86) with no issue but I don't use them for gaming or anything too demanding. I run a line into our master bedroom for a better wi-fi signal for simple web surfing (converted old router into a second AP) and for streaming on the bedroom TV via a roku.

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
For sure, you need to make sure your outlets are properly wired and tied to Earth ground. Every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure the wall outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground.
While that's certainly a nice bonus to have, it's not strictly necessary. I've been using powerline adapters for a number of years (up until early last year for my main rig, work laptop still on it) and the wiring for the outlets in my house isn't grounded, except for the kitchen and ceiling, if I'm not mistaken. It works very well. The internet connection is as stable as running a cable directly from the router just the speed isn't anything to write home about (40-50 mbps, single digit ping, according to speedtest).

I started with a Devolo dLan AVplus 200 kit. Later naively upgraded to a TP-Link 1200 kit but it didn't improve anything (needed ground for better speeds).

But WiFi these days is much better than it used to be, I have a router and an extender and that gives me much faster speeds (~220mbps) and the same single digit ping.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
While that's certainly a nice bonus to have, it's not strictly necessary.
It is if it is supposed to be. That is, if your house was wired with 3 conductors (hot, neutral and ground) to each outlet back to the Earth-grounded service panel, then each outlet should still be properly wired and grounded to Earth ground.

Even if the house is wired with 2-conductor wiring, as mine was (and still is in some parts), if the receptible is polarized (one long and one short slot) polarity matters.

I was careful how I worded my initial comments. I did NOT say total satisfaction was not possible with power line adapters. I simply said "I" have not seen it and I specifically said "total satisfaction" because I have seen working power line networks that worked for some tasks, but not heavy bandwidth tasks - thus not to total satisfaction.

That said, power line adapters are often a viable option. I would just make sure your retailer has a generous return policy. Many don't for opened boxed electrical items.

System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
It is if it is supposed to be. That is, if your house was wired with 3 conductors (hot, neutral and ground) to each outlet back to the Earth-grounded service panel, then each outlet should still be properly wired and grounded to Earth ground.

Even if the house is wired with 2-conductor wiring, as mine was (and still is in some parts), if the receptible is polarized (one long and one short slot) polarity matters.

I was careful how I worded my initial comments. I did NOT say total satisfaction was not possible with power line adapters. I simply said "I" have not seen it and I specifically said "total satisfaction" because I have seen working power line networks that worked for some tasks, but not heavy bandwidth tasks - thus not to total satisfaction.

That said, power line adapters are often a viable option. I would just make sure your retailer has a generous return policy. Many don't for opened boxed electrical items.
My bad, I misinterpreted your post. I can get behind the total satisfaction claim as well.

As for the OP, maybe you could try to convince your parents to upgrade the Wifi (ac/5) and add some extenders/repeaters? Probably easier to sell that idea because everyone benefits.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

The other thing that people need to do is not buy the cheapest ones out there. I still see the 85Mbps adapters sold at the big box stores and even Amazon and the like. Those just outright suck. They'll get you a connection, but it will be slow, likely in the 1-2Mbps range even with good wiring. Then there are the 200Mbps and 500Mbps ones, which also aren't much better. The 1000Mbps and 1200Mbps ones are decent, but the ones you really want are the 1300Mbps ones. Those ones are the ones that use MIMO. All the others just use the neutral wire, they achieve faster speeds by just raising the signal clock speed. The 1300Mbps adapters not only use the higher clock speed, but they also use the ground and neutral wire. These are the only ones that necessary need to have a ground wire properly connected to get good speeds. All the others only care about the neutral wire. But of course nothing is going to really help with the latency, other than maybe if there are faster processors in them to do the conversions.

IMO, the speed ratings(much like WiFi) are deceiving to customers. The rating is the raw data throughput, not UDP/TCP data. And they are taking the speed of both directions and adding it together. It's like the old days when NIC manufacturers used to market their 2000Mbps network cards. But they were really just standard Gigabit NICs, but it was 1Gbps in each direction so they would claim 2Gbps.

At the end of the day, nothing is as good an actual hardwired cable, every other solution is a trade-off.

As for the OP, maybe you could try to convince your parents to upgrade the Wifi (ac/5) and add some extenders/repeaters? Probably easier to sell that idea because everyone benefits.

WiFi extenders are probably going to add more latency than the powerline adapters.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
I'm currently using a mesh wifi network, and have my PC connected via ethernet to the node on my desk. Obviously not a true hardwired connection since the node still has to wirelessly communicate with the master node that's connected to the modem, but I've found it significantly improved the stability of my connection.

System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
WiFi extenders are probably going to add more latency than the powerline adapters.
I just have my own experience to go by, which is not much, but I have less latency on my desktop using wifi and connected to an extender than my work laptop on wired powerline. Wifi is more fickle though. I've also had a much better time with wifi 5 (ac) than previous versions.

I'm currently using a mesh wifi network, and have my PC connected via ethernet to the node on my desk. Obviously not a true hardwired connection since the node still has to wirelessly communicate with the master node that's connected to the modem, but I've found it significantly improved the stability of my connection.
That's strange. But yeah, mesh is possibly a good option for the OP as well. How is it in regards to latency?

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
You got get yourself a WIFI 6 adapter. When I got one it maxed out my ISP's wireless. There are 6E components coming later that also promise Speed increases.

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
You got get yourself a WIFI 6 adapter. When I got one it maxed out my ISP's wireless. There are 6E components coming later that also promise Speed increases.
You will need a Wifi 6 router as well as client to see wifi 6 benefits. Your increased throughput may have more to do with the better chip in the new adapter (or one that plays better with router). Also better throughput does not always correlate to better latency. My guess from the op's description is his parents have the 1200ac router special from their ISP with rather poor range. Perhaps he can use an old router in bridge mode which also falls into your "new adapter" answer or an extender as other''s have mentioned. As long as the issue isn't an upstream issue with the ISP, there are several ways to go about trying to solve the issue.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
That's strange. But yeah, mesh is possibly a good option for the OP as well. How is it in regards to latency?
Decent. Usually average 25ms in Valorant. Definitely not the most conventional solution - more of a bandaid fix since a true hardwired connection to the router downstairs isn't an option, but it's more stable than just straight wifi.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a possible idea.
I used it to setup the wife's work at home office: and, one is connected to my TV for streaming and stuff..
You might want to check into using a Moca setup, if there is any coax in the room.

MoCA Home™ 2.5