1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pre-Owned computer issues

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DaddyDoubleA, Dec 8, 2009.

1. DaddyDoubleA

DaddyDoubleA New Member

Thanks Received:
    I acquired a pretty nice computer recently from an educational institution and when I try to boot up, it says this computer belongs to the "educational institution". I got a new HD and loaded windows and it still says that the computer belongs to this place. can anyone help...:toast:

2. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Damn. If it said that after you change the HDD, then that maybe security built in the BIOS. Have you tried flashing the BIOS back to default settings?

DaddyDoubleA says thanks.
  3. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    are you asking how to disable/erase an anti theft serial name/number ?
    i should be very carefull asking about such things here as your likely to face the chop
    now if you can prove that the pc is yours and not say stolen thats fine someone will help:)

4. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Actually if you have it all legit and stuff, call the school you bought it from and they will just give you the bypass code. Then you can delete their profile once you have control over the system. Which they should do anyway. You may need to just take it back and have their tech dept. clean it up for you.

5. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  6. DaddyDoubleA

DaddyDoubleA New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's most definitely not the Dell latitude, it is more complicated than just getting the password. what component is causing the protection. by my accounts, if i already replaced the harddrives then it must be the RAM or the Motherboard, but more likely the memory than the motherboard... any useful suggestions?!?!?!:shadedshu

7. DaddyDoubleA

DaddyDoubleA New Member

Thanks Received:
    thank you for the suggestion but... It's not stolen but the school no longer exists and the computer is nice enough to keep. Please help if you can

8. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY

Thanks Received:
    Surely not a TPM thing is it??

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

Its the bios, you need to contact who ever you bought it from, surely if the school no longer exists you can still contact the person you got it from?

Other than that I cant suggest much

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whats the specs on this computer?

dr emulator (madmax) says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    What happens if you reset the bios?

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Paulieg The Mad Moderator

Thanks Received:
    You have already received the most useful suggestions possible. You either need a password, or if the security is in the bios, the bios needs to be cleared. It has to be in the motherboard bios. First, try clearing the cmos. You may not be able to find a jumper, so just take out the motherboard battery for 30 seconds, then pop it back in. If this does not work, you may need to find the original bios for whatever board they put in that system and reflash it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    i agree with the above posts, i would just contact the person who gave it to you, imho most computers given out for free by an institution whether professional or educational usually clear the things off first and this detail is hardly missed, i would just get in touch with whomever you got if from and see what they say.

14. DaddyDoubleA

DaddyDoubleA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you all. i will try your suggestions and let you know what happens... thank you again.

15. roast

roast

Thanks Received:
    It might possibly be a Smart Card installed in one of the PCI slots. I've come across devices like that before, so you could check for that too.

16. DaddyDoubleA

DaddyDoubleA New Member

Thanks Received:
    i looked there first though.... if you have anything else that may help, please let me know. Most all of your suggestions have been helpful at least from a troubleshooting standpoint thank you very much

roast says thanks.
  17. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    If the logo appears right when the computer is turned on (during POST), it is part of the BIOS as mentioned before. The laptops at the high school that I attended have the school district's Product Record number (like a serial #) for that particular laptop displayed on the POST screen, so kids can't peel the sticker off and call it their laptop. You may be able to flash the regular BIOS for that computer model and have it be a regular computer, if the current BIOS allows you to overwrite it.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD