• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Preorder your Nintendo DS web browser

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
Seems like our asian friends can preoder the upcoming Opera based web browser from the japanese website. If you preorder before the 19th of July you will receive your browser by the 24th. No mention of a US version has been made, but if you know Japanese check out the Nintendo Japan website.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yeah, just another feature that needed to be added on to and bought for the DS that came standard/free with PSP. Now, if Nintendo can just release a game that doesn't reference a previous Nintendo franchise they might be on to something.

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
I'm suprised they didn't put a browser in to start with, but then again it's primary function is a games console, not a PDA

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Actually, IIRC, Nintendo said they would eventually release on if another software developer wasn't willing to make one. I just think it sucks that they want $30 for it...it should be free, just like the media player.

ryboto

Processor Opteron 170 [2.8ghz@1.4v|1.25ghz@1.025v]
Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Cooling HR-03, TR Ultra-120, 3xScythe S-Flex
Memory 2gb Crucial Ballistix PC4000
Video Card(s) Ati Radeon X1950 pro
Storage 150 GB WD Raptor/500GB WD
Display(s) Acer AL2032WA 20'' Widescreen LCD
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
Audio Device(s) On board Audio/Plantronics USB Headset
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker EG495AX-VE 485W
Software Windows XP SP2 bblean shell/Ubuntu
newtekie1 said:
Actually, IIRC, Nintendo said they would eventually release on if another software developer wasn't willing to make one. I just think it sucks that they want $30 for it...it should be free, just like the media player.

if it were, you'd have to cede a price hike to nintendo. They don't make web browsers, and someone has to pay the opera people for liscensing. The media player is hardware, you expect them to give it away? Well, even with these features missing in the retail DS package, it's still outselling the psp, so, it must be doing something right.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
ryboto said:
if it were, you'd have to cede a price hike to nintendo. They don't make web browsers, and someone has to pay the opera people for liscensing. The media player is hardware, you expect them to give it away? Well, even with these features missing in the retail DS package, it's still outselling the psp, so, it must be doing something right.

There is no reason the software couldn't have just been integrated for the media player. The think they are doing right is selling it for cheaper then the PSP, and banking on their large franchise of existing games(I actually can't think of a single original game released for the DS yet). Plus their huge established fanbase. Though if you have to pay $30 for a web browser, which is free for PSP owners, and another $30+ for a media player which PSP owners get for free, the price difference doesn't really add up. There isn't really a reason that Nintendo couldn't integrate a browser from the beginning or made one themselves and added it later for free.

For some getting to pick and choose what you get for a cheaper price is a good thing, for others having to pay more to get what you want is a bad thing.

Just because something sells better doesn't mean it actually is better. Intels P4s vastly outsold AMDs A64s, does that mean the P4s were actually the better processors?

ryboto

Processor Opteron 170 [2.8ghz@1.4v|1.25ghz@1.025v]
Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Cooling HR-03, TR Ultra-120, 3xScythe S-Flex
Memory 2gb Crucial Ballistix PC4000
Video Card(s) Ati Radeon X1950 pro
Storage 150 GB WD Raptor/500GB WD
Display(s) Acer AL2032WA 20'' Widescreen LCD
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
Audio Device(s) On board Audio/Plantronics USB Headset
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker EG495AX-VE 485W
Software Windows XP SP2 bblean shell/Ubuntu
newtekie1 said:
There is no reason the software couldn't have just been integrated for the media player. The think they are doing right is selling it for cheaper then the PSP, and banking on their large franchise of existing games(I actually can't think of a single original game released for the DS yet). Plus their huge established fanbase. Though if you have to pay $30 for a web browser, which is free for PSP owners, and another $30+ for a media player which PSP owners get for free, the price difference doesn't really add up. There isn't really a reason that Nintendo couldn't integrate a browser from the beginning or made one themselves and added it later for free.

For some getting to pick and choose what you get for a cheaper price is a good thing, for others having to pay more to get what you want is a bad thing.

Just because something sells better doesn't mean it actually is better. Intels P4s vastly outsold AMDs A64s, does that mean the P4s were actually the better processors?

initially there might not have been games that utilize the DS's specific technology, but a lot of games lately are using the dual screen in a good way, the new mario bros, games like brain age...it doesn't matter, the psp isn't doing well because of software. But, we could argue for days about this. Integrated media software would have raised the price, whether nintendo had designed it, or they liscensed one from someone else, it would cost money. I could argue the DS isn't anything special because it's the same first party software, same franchises, just with a funky control scheme. Or I could argue that the PSP games are the same things I could play on the ps2, only, it's a smaller screen, and I have to pay $100 than a ps2. They both ahve their pros, both have their cons. The thing is, the DS wasn't marketed as a PDA/super media device, the PSP was, there's the reason, as others have stated.

V

v-zero

Stop ravaging the DS, it's a much, much better handheld than the PSP ever will be...

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
ryboto said:
initially there might not have been games that utilize the DS's specific technology, but a lot of games lately are using the dual screen in a good way, the new mario bros, games like brain age...it doesn't matter, the psp isn't doing well because of software. But, we could argue for days about this. Integrated media software would have raised the price, whether nintendo had designed it, or they liscensed one from someone else, it would cost money. I could argue the DS isn't anything special because it's the same first party software, same franchises, just with a funky control scheme. Or I could argue that the PSP games are the same things I could play on the ps2, only, it's a smaller screen, and I have to pay $100 than a ps2. They both ahve their pros, both have their cons. The thing is, the DS wasn't marketed as a PDA/super media device, the PSP was, there's the reason, as others have stated.

I don't even worry about the whole control scheme and games using it. I just want a damn original game, that is it. Something that is completely new. They have such a great thing going with the touch screen and yet they can't seem to release a single completely original game that isn't based off one of their previous games. Even if it is the game type of game it would be nice to have some new flavor, something that isn't just a remake of a previous game or a sequal. At least with the PSP there are some original games, Coded Arms, Lumines, Mercury. At least with the PSP I have a few games that I can play that don't feel like I have already played them on a different console.

I love my DS, but I regret buying it for this reason.