• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

President Trump Blocks Broadcom-Qualcomm Deal Through an Executive Order

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
US President Donald Trump blocked the potentially-$117 billion Broadcom-Qualcomm merger through an executive order. The White House considered damning observations by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), which had been studying potential national security implications of this merger. "There is credible evidence that leads me to believe that Broadcom Ltd. [by acquiring Qualcomm] might take action that threatens to impair the national security of the United States," wrote President Trump in the order.

Broadcom expressed shock and disbelief over the order. The company, in a statement, said that it "strongly disagrees that its proposed acquisition of Qualcomm raises any national security concerns." Qualcomm, meanwhile, battened down the hatches for any press comments. The American chipmaker had been wrestling an increasingly Broadcom-slanted board that was all but ready to sell the company to Broadcom at an undervalued price. According to data compiled by Bloomberg, the Trump administration has shot down ten similar deals since it came to power, in which foreign companies - overwhelmingly Chinese in national origin - had attempted buy out American high-technology firms. Californian Intel is still in the foray to swallow Broadcom, as CFIUS doesn't concern itself with American companies buying out foreign firms.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

You shall not take our LED lights, money transfers nor our wireless modems.

For now. Have to wait until the next (D) administration.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Next day, they are brought by Intel.

Next day, they are brought by Intel.
There's already talk of Intel buying Broadcom. That would be a good thing too. However, if you're referring to Intel buying Qualcomm, that would likely be blocked as it would create a massive antitrust problem. Broadcom not being HQ'd in the states, theres not a real problem here with that kind of buyout/merger though even that could be blocked for similar reasons.

One of the few things I hope most folks agree with, even non-techies. It's insane how many mergers & acquisitions have gone on, consolidating so much. Like others mentioned, I hope an Intel buy gets blocked too.

Just look what happened to graphics market after we were left with just 2 players. It sucks majorly.
We have some of the most amazing GPU's ever created that can push realism to seriously excellent and amazing levels. How does that suck? Besides, there are more than just two players. In the mobile market, arguiblity the largest market on the planet, Nvidia and AMD are effectively absent. The most common GPU on the planet, by the numbers, is the Mali series by ARM, followed closely by Intel.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Good, no monopolies
Until Intel buys Broadcom, that is, and subsequently buys Qualcomm as well. Suppose they would stop minding at that point, seeing how Intel is (somewhat) American.

We have some of the most amazing GPU's ever created that can push realism to seriously excellent and amazing levels. How does that suck? Besides, there are more than just two players. In the mobile market, arguiblity the largest market on the planet, Nvidia and AMD are effectively absent. The most common GPU on the planet, by the numbers, is the Mali series by ARM, followed closely by Intel.

Yeah, unobtainable GPU's for 900+ € are really awesome yo. And when one vendor (out of only two) cannot provide competing product, the other one slams ridiculous prices on their products. That's why. If there was 3rd or 4th player in GPU market (real discrete one, not integrated nonsense from Intel or mobile Mali), there would still be competition among those "lesser" 3 vendors. But because we only have 2, it sucks. This is why we constantly screech it's bad when mergers within same field are done. The situation with AMD and ATi was a bit different. AMD only made CPU's, ATi only made GPU's. With merger, nothing really changed on the market, in fact opposed happened with introduction of APU's that pushed everyone to make better integrated graphics (otherwise Intel would still be integrating their useless crap).

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard Asus ROG X670E GENE MATX
Cooling Phanteks Glacier One 280MPH AIO
Memory G.Skill 48GB (2x24GB) F5-8000J4048F24GX2-TZ5RK Trident Z5 RGB 8000MHz DDR5
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition 24GB GDDR6
Storage Crucial T700 Gen5 2TB NVMe | Crucial P5 Plus Gen4 2TB NVMe | Crucial P5 Plus Gen4 1TB NVMe
Display(s) AOC U3277PWQU 32in 4K
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX TG
Audio Device(s) Onboard SPDIF --> Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic ATX 3.0 VERTEX-GX-1000
Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
Keyboard Razer Cynosa V2 Chroma
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
I wish our government would have the balls to do similar here in Oz

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yeah, unobtainable GPU's for 900+ € are really awesome yo. And when one vendor (out of only two) cannot provide competing product, the other one slams ridiculous prices on their products. That's why. If there was 3rd or 4th player in GPU market (real discrete one, not integrated nonsense from Intel or mobile Mali), there would still be competition among those "lesser" 3 vendors. But because we only have 2, it sucks. This is why we constantly screech it's bad when mergers within same field are done. The situation with AMD and ATi was a bit different. AMD only made CPU's, ATi only made GPU's. With merger, nothing really changed on the market, in fact opposed happened with introduction of APU's that pushed everyone to make better integrated graphics (otherwise Intel would still be integrating their useless crap).
Sadly, massive corporate mergers have been the name of the game for the last three or four decades, ever since the US decided that wholesale deregulation and a hands-off approach to ensuring "free" competition was a good idea. Now we're at a point when no-one dares say that this well-established policy is bad for both people and businesses, as that'd lose them corporate campaign funds. The FTC is frighteningly ineffectual, and this news is just saying "we're okay with monopolies, but only if they're our monopolies". The EU is trying to be slightly more hands-on, but can barely be said to be so, and is plagued by a scary slow court system.

Despite what quite a few techies seem to think, corporations are not our friends. At best, they can provide things we want or need for acceptable prices, while also providing jobs for people. At worst - and far more realistically - they exist to get as much money out of consumers as possible, while avoiding their societal responsibilities (taxes and so on) to the largest extent possible. Profit-first corporations are the biggest moochers out there, and we desperately need effective regulation and policing to keep them in check, as they show us time and time again that if they can, they'll screw us over.

To get back on track: if the FTC was effective, it would never have allowed Intel, Nvidia, Qualcomm, or any other dominant chip maker to grow as dominant as they are. In the mid-20th century, market shares like that meant that the company might be forced to split into two separate entities to maintain competition. That's definitely a drastic measure, but it would ensure competition, and likely wouldn't hinder progress or development much at all.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I wonder what national security issues there are that forced this block.

Dartenor

I like very much this move, don't get me wrong, but where are now all the talks about the "free market" being the god that drives american economy?
It seems to me that Trump is the least "free market" president in the last years blocking deals, adding tariffs, etc...

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
I like very much this move, don't get me wrong, but where are now all the talks about the "free market" being the god that drives american economy?
It seems to me that Trump is the least "free market" president in the last years blocking deals, adding tariffs, etc...
please leave your ignorant politics at the door.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I wonder what national security issues there are that forced this block.
My educated guess: Qualcomm is the only maker of CDMA radios, used on verizon and sprint phones. Verizon phones are very popular with the US government.

In addition, they are the only US chipmaker left in the phone market. Mediatek is chinese, so is helios, so are the other no name brands used (I am sure there is another major chinese brand I am unaware of.)

From the US's standpoint, if qualcomm was bought by broadcomm, every future US government phone would have a chinese radio, with Chinese firmware, in it. That is a recipe for disaster. There would be 0 security at the federal level, on just about anything. Secret service, aides, DoD members, even the president himself, could all be eavesdropped on with no real way of preventing it, if the chinese wanted to. With qualcomm, at least the US has a chipmaker they can use, and subsequently review the code of.

Same reason crucial cant be bought by the chinese, the US government needs a source of flash storage that isnt controlled by the chinese (and chinese firmware).

One side sitting on their laurels twittling their thumbs due to lack of competition, the other side producing non-competitive garbage, and GPUs hitting rediculous prices?

How does that NOT suck? There is no competition, there is nvidia and there is AMD's table scraps. We havent had competition since the 7000/200 series.

Last edited:
Oh, so this is the land of 'freedom', where you are not allowed to sell your own company?

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Oh, so this is the land of 'freedom', where you are not allowed to sell your own company?
are you trying to be ignorant for a reason or are always this stupid? When it comes to national security as explained in the post prior to yours, there are conditions that need to be met especially when it comes to publicly traded companies.

Last edited:
Yeah, unobtainable GPU's for 900+ € are really awesome yo. And when one vendor (out of only two) cannot provide competing product, the other one slams ridiculous prices on their products. That's why.
One side sitting on their laurels twittling their thumbs due to lack of competition, the other side producing non-competitive garbage, and GPUs hitting ridiculous prices? How does that NOT suck? There is no competition, there is nvidia and there is AMD's table scraps. We havent had competition since the 7000/200 series.
Those are opinions. The ridiculous prices have little to do with the companies producing the cards. As for the competition point, years of benchmarks show back and forth on varying levels saying otherwise.
are you trying to be ignorant for a reason or are always this stupid?
Hey, be nice. Let's not provoke the mods..

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
This is the first smart thing he's done during his whole presidency.

System Name Computer!
Processor i7-6700K
Motherboard AsRock Z170 Extreme 7+
Cooling EKWB on CPU & GPU, 240 slim and 360 Monsta, Aquacomputer Aquabus D5, Aquaaero 6 Pro.
Memory 32Gb Kingston Hyper-X 3Ghz
Video Card(s) Asus 980 Ti Strix
Storage 2 x 950 Pro
Display(s) Old Acer thing
Case NZXT 440 Modded
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PII 600W Platinum
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech G15
Software Win 10 Pro
I hope Singapore blocks the sale of Broadcom. Broadcom makes alot of good stuff. Intel would swallow it and kill it. I wonder if there would be another Raspberry Pi if Intel bumps up the price of the rebranded SoC. Or all the router SoCs and Wireless chipsets. All the 'LSI' RAID/HBA Cards. What then? NOTHING GOOD FOR US. I can tell you that.

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
You shall not take our LED lights, money transfers nor our wireless modems.

For now. Have to wait until the next (D) administration.

So you want only one company making the chips in all Routers and network gear , you crazy man?

Ofcourse that's the crazy ideology, you can have your own country on Mars and have Broadcom do your dinner and Google do your laundry if you wish, we say no thanks.

Atheros is the other big chip OEM in consumer Routers, but Atheros was acquired by Qualcomm, the other big one in consumer networking is Realtek but Realtek is almost a monopoly in a lot of other smaller cheaper things already. Come on people, this is very good news!

There are these groups all over different topics on the internet which are people who don't really use anything but spend more time living on the internet being basically some kind of sports fans for various companies, the NeoGAF forums comes to mind where a group of people would spend most of the time discussing and cheering about these parasitic companies and how they dominate and how they conquer everything, these are delusional poor basement dwellers that have no idea how stupid they are and are unfortunately generating a lot of internet buzz in various ways and also creating a huge perception of "what the internet thinks", it's an incredibly primitive activity of very bored people, very similar to how average football fans talk in bars all day being half drunk, it took me some years of confusion until I finally got it, that's where all the console wars come from, it's a big football match, those people simply picked a company as if it was their football team, it's about the success of a team and only that, and ofcourse the context of what "success" means is all a standard skewed perception of what an average person would think success is, money, drugs, hollywood, fame, everything arrogant and greedy, and that's exactly why they don't even know the events going in the world and sorrounding this case, would still support a corporate merger by default, they just want a team to win, Broadcom in this case, it's like a game to them.

This block is just one little thing in a big plan, there's a lot more reasons than just natsec, but those reasons might have not been enough to lawfully do this, that's why they're unstated, but unlafwully because it's the law that's not good enough, there is absolutely nothing good for an average citizen when two large corporations merge, and if mergers are allowed without unrestrain you'll end up with one company basically ruling the whole planet because that's how the system is set up, it's mathematical, it's bound to happen.

If Broadcom and Qualcomm merge, is every American going to get a free hamburger? A free ride in an F-22 jet fighter ? A free ride to the moon ? Nope

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
One of the few things I hope most folks agree with, even non-techies. It's insane how many mergers & acquisitions have gone on, consolidating so much. Like others mentioned, I hope an Intel buy gets blocked too.

It should happen more in the non-tech world actually. Media, food stuff, etc..

System Name Lightning
Processor 4790K
Motherboard asrock z87 extreme 3
Cooling hwlabs black ice 20 fpi radiator, cpu mosfet blocks, MCW60 cpu block, full cover on 780Ti's
Memory corsair dominator platinum 2400C10, 32 giga, DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x780Ti
Storage intel S3700 400GB, samsung 850 pro 120 GB, a cheep intel MLC 120GB, an another even cheeper 120GB
Display(s) eizo foris fg2421
Case 700D
Audio Device(s) ESI Juli@
Power Supply seasonic platinum 1000
Mouse mx518
Software Lightning v2.0a
hang on you guys before you say it is a good thing.. yes in principle and on it's own this is a good thing, but you have to remember that amerika has big debt to china and incidents like this only make their relationship worse, so while yes this is good for amerika and good for customers for more competition, it can make china more aggressive and could increase tension between them