• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pressing Power Button Sometimes Does Not Boot PC

leimao

Hello guys,

I have been using my new PC for more than half a year. The PC works well in general, however, there is a problem that is bothering me from time to time. Sometimes, in the last night, the PC worked fine. Then I turned it off before I went to sleep. On the second day, after I woke up or got home after work, I pressed the power button, but nothing happened. The lights for the CMOS button and Power button on the motherboard at the back of the PC case are on, and I could use the Power button on the motherboard to boot the PC. After the PC was boot, I turned off PC, pressed the Power button on the PC case, the PC could be boot normally. It does not happen all the time, but I would say it happens frequently. I just cannot understand what is going on there? Thank you very much.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best,

Lei

Last edited by a moderator:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Likely a bad case switch.

You could try jumping the motherboard power (+ & -) pins (see motherboard manual or google as to which pins) with a screwdriver a few times to see if doing so reliably works, and it would tell you for sure.

leimao

Likely a bad case switch.

You could try jumping the motherboard power (+ & -) pins (see motherboard manual or google as to which pins) with a screwdriver a few times to see if doing so reliably works, and it would tell you for sure.

Thank you very much for your reply sir. I thought about bad case switch as well. But why the "bad" case switch always work after I booted the PC with the power button on the motherboard?
I will try your suggestions anyway.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Thank you very much for your reply sir. I thought about bad case switch as well. But why the "bad" case switch always work after I booted the PC with the power button on the motherboard?
I will try your suggestions anyway.

Sometimes they are intermittent before they completely crap out. The part where the chassis switch failed but the motherboard button worked makes me think switch and not board.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
Hello guys,

I have been using my new PC for more than half a year. The PC works well in general, however, there is a problem that is bothering me from time to time. Sometimes, in the last night, the PC worked fine. Then I turned it off before I went to sleep. On the second day, after I woke up or got home after work, I pressed the power button, but nothing happened. The lights for the CMOS button and Power button on the motherboard at the back of the PC case are on, and I could use the Power button on the motherboard to boot the PC. After the PC was boot, I turned off PC, pressed the Power button on the PC case, the PC could be boot normally. It does not happen all the time, but I would say it happens frequently. I just cannot understand what is going on there? Thank you very much.

My PC config is here: https://leimao.github.io/blog/PC-Build-Gaming-Deep-Learning/

Thank you very much for your help.

Best,

Lei
or you can use reset switch as power switch, just plug the + and - from reset switch to motherboard , just to check if your power switch that bad
the last could from your PSU

leimao

or you can use reset switch as power switch, just plug the + and - from reset switch to motherboard , just to check if your power switch that bad
the last could from your PSU
Unfortunately, this high end PC case from Phanteks does not have reset button Orz.

System Name just ordinary potato system, but dont understimate potato..
Processor ryzen raven ridge 2200g, ryzen 2600 upgrade:)
Motherboard msi b350 pc mate, biostars a320, asrock ab350m micro
Cooling x2 cheap china handmade, i got plenty aigo/fantech rgb fans now heh
Memory klevv dual channel 8gb 3000mhz, trident 16gb 3600mhz, random ddr2 stick
Video Card(s) back to square, using vega 56 now:D
Storage wd green ssd 240gb, 3tb seagate expnasion, random laptop hdd x4, 1tb 3.5
Display(s) acer vgo 22inch fullhd 75hz
Case cheap segotep/dazumba mid atx, alcatroz mini atx
Audio Device(s) genius retro wood style, harman kardon stick iii
Power Supply be quite system power9, powerlogic standar, voltron 300fx, thermaltake smart 1200w
Mouse rexus, genius ps/2, powerlogic ps/2 ball tracking
Keyboard rexus, random china product x3
Software talking abt best software, autodesk/unity3d/notepad yes notepad!!
Benchmark Scores theres nothing to brag abt potato, but it can run decent 30fps fullhd with good setting:)
check m/b /case power reset panel and the cable, make sure no damaged cause by rat:)
also worth a try reset your bios setup, i once get malfunction and my pc randomly proces reset or even turnoff itself, funny thing i press reset button but it do nothing, and get random bep alert:D

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
This certainly could be a loose power button wire, or the power button itself could be damaged or loose. Sometimes, the plastic molding or metal prongs that are supposed to hold the switch in place behind the front panel break or lose tension, or the switch simply pops out. So you need to inspect where the switch is mounted in back of the front panel to determine the method used to mount the switch. Hopefully the front panel is easy to remove. I've seen it where just pushing the switch back in causes it to "snap" back in place and all is good - suggesting it was not properly secured during case assembly. Other times, bending the metal prongs secures the switch back in place. If the switch mount is actually damaged, we have used hot-glue to secure it and that worked from then on too.

Backup. Sorry, I just looked at your case manual and I see your power button is on top. So instead of the looking behind the front panel, you need to see if you can access the top panel to look at how the switch is mounted and to make sure it is attached properly.

HOWEVER I also note there is a 5 year warranty on that case - don't do anything to void your warranty! Hot glue probably would.

Also, instead of just pressing the power button, press and hold it for 4 to 5 seconds and see what happens. If that works, then it likely is a setting in the BIOS Setup Menu.

If still no help, then I would suspect the power supply. At least I sure would swap in another known good PSU (even if I had to "borrow" one from another computer temporarily) and see if the problem remains. While SeaSonic is certainly a premier brand, until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will always be units that fail prematurely. If the switch is properly mounted and its two wires are securely connected to the 2 pins on the motherboard, and a 2nd power supply didn't resolve it, then, sadly, you might be looking at a bad motherboard.

One last thing. Are you 200% sure you didn't insert an extra standoff in your case under the motherboard? Cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards. So, it is common for cases to have more motherboard mounting points than boards have mounting holes. A common mistake by the less experienced and distracted pros alike is to insert one or more extra standoff in the case under the motherboard. Any extra standoff creates the potential for an electrical “short” in one or more circuits. The result ranges from "nothing" (everything works perfectly) to "intermittent” problems to "nothing" (as in nothing works at all :(). So, you might want to verify you only inserted a standoff where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole.

leimao

Thank you very much, all of you, for providing good suggestions. It turns out that, instead of being a mechanical problem, it is more likely to be a power button PCB problem (a capacitor problem). I replaced the power button PCB, and now the computer seems to work fine.

Last edited by a moderator: