• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Prices of First-gen AMD Threadrippers Drop Like a Rock

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
"Clearly, Intel has a superior product line, and has no need to drastically drop prices. Just as obviously, AMD is having much trouble selling TR, and has dropped the price of their flagship CPU 4 times (so far). Intel just doesn't seem to be worried, despite the yellow journalism tactics employed by misguided editors. Strange how people spin the facts to fit their preconceived notions, as if that will magically make TR a success. Threadripper is a niche product, with very little appeal for most PC users. "

I'd suggest you check the market share and the share price changes of both companies in the last month or two. I think the numbers massively disagree with you Sir.

While TR is really just a drop in the pond it is actually the same thing as the EPYC and that thing rocks and now makes more money to AMD alone than their entire product portfolio a few years ago...and EPYC 2 is coming next year which atm I think is clearly superio to what Intel has to offer against it (at least what we know of atm).

I don'T say that Intel will go bankrupt now, but most definitely AMD put a major dent in their side and Intel is worried now for a valid reason. AMD64 times 15 years ago come to my mind...

Processor i7 2600
Motherboard ASUS H67 rev. B3
Cooling EVO 212
Memory Kingston 8GB
Video Card(s) MSi 7870 GHz Edt.
Storage EVO 850 250GB + WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Dell U2412M
Case ASUS Essentio CG8250
Power Supply Delta 550W
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 7
I was wondering if anybody knows, how many Threadrippers AMD has sold? I was thinking 10k+

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro
Cooling Wraith Prism
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3600Mhz 16GB (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) -
Storage Samsung 850 Evo, 860 Evo, 980 and Crucial MX500
Display(s) Samsung Neo G9 Odyssey
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply -
VR HMD Quest 2
Thank you AMD for the price Party :), now we just need Intel to join in.

Or you know - you could just buy AMD instead of waiting for Intel to drop prices and buying Intel

This Intel, nvidia mindshare needs to go.

If AMD is providing good price for performance products, then support them by buying their products.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
if the 1950x goes as far down as $200 then I would get one. But till then, I better continue collecting bottles to make mortgage and pay into my habits.
That's what I was thinking as well. Measuring e-peen at the very high end is one thing, but that's not what most of us are buying anyway.

System Name Off-Brand PC System
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard X399
Cooling Wraithripper
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Benchmark Scores Less than Intel and Nvidia
"Clearly, Intel has a superior product line, and has no need to drastically drop prices. Just as obviously, AMD is having much trouble selling TR, and has dropped the price of their flagship CPU 4 times (so far). Intel just doesn't seem to be worried, despite the yellow journalism tactics employed by misguided editors. Strange how people spin the facts to fit their preconceived notions, as if that will magically make TR a success. Threadripper is a niche product, with very little appeal for most PC users. "

I'd suggest you check the market share and the share price changes of both companies in the last month or two. I think the numbers massively disagree with you Sir.

While TR is really just a drop in the pond it is actually the same thing as the EPYC and that thing rocks and now makes more money to AMD alone than their entire product portfolio a few years ago...and EPYC 2 is coming next year which atm I think is clearly superio to what Intel has to offer against it (at least what we know of atm).

I don'T say that Intel will go bankrupt now, but most definitely AMD put a major dent in their side and Intel is worried now for a valid reason. AMD64 times 15 years ago come to my mind...
Intel made records in profit recently despite Ryzen and Epyc. They'll do fine with or without your worries.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
It's going to be really awkward for Intel. They have two choices , maintain the prices and introduce their 28 core part at some insane price point like 3000$ and risk losing sales or massively drop prices making everyone realize just how overpriced their products were.

How much does a wafer cost them with business expenses factored in? I'm wondering if they can even turn a profit if prices go any lower on the high core count parts.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
AMD has found a sweet spot to scale their CPUs with both cores and clocks (thanks to the MCM design.) This is the game changer for AMD because smaller dies means higher yields and "gluing" together smaller dies spreads the heat out. AMD can do this and get away with it because the yields and speed of Intel's gigantic monolithic dies can't compete, which is part of the reason why they're priced so high. AMD knows that it's going to take Intel time to release a new product to compete so a move like this is a direct stab at trying to gain market share in the server market, which is where the money is at.

Right now, AMD is in the power position. It has the least to lose and the most to gain when it comes to market share in the server market and they know that this opportunity is a limited time offer.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Clearly, Intel has a superior product line, and has no need to drastically drop prices. Just as obviously, AMD is having much trouble selling TR, and has dropped the price of their flagship CPU 4 times (so far). Intel just doesn't seem to be worried, despite the yellow journalism tactics employed by misguided editors. Strange how people spin the facts to fit their preconceived notions, as if that will magically make TR a success. Threadripper is a niche product, with very little appeal for most PC users. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CF7CmG/amd-threadripper-1950x-34ghz-16-core-processor-yd195xa8aewof
@btarunr - I can't help but notice that your personal rig is running an Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU. Where's all the love for AMD? I guess you voted with your wallet. Is it any wonder AMD is losing sales to Intel, when even AMD fans won't buy their hardware, despite all their rabid posts to the contrary?

Do you really type up the same nonsense on every Intel AMD topic? You're so out of touch its hilarious. Its nice how you make life so simple, I have no regrets ignoring you now, not going to miss a thing, and it saves some scrolling. Thx!

On the subject matter... wow. TR is going to be cheaper than a rebadged 8700K (8086) and the Zen arch has only just taken off... Imagine generational clock and XFR improvements alone across these core counts... Intel has every reason to be panicking.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
I think you missed my point. I never said one word about overall market share, or about share prices. I was talking about Threadripper, which certainly doesn't guide the fortunes of either company, it's just one small part of the whole picture. My point is, does any company continuously drop the price of a product, if the product is successful? Not that I can ever recall, the opposite effect is what I have seen, over and over. They charge more when a product is in demand, not less. To me, if the product's price is dropped 4 times in less than a year, that means it's not living up to the company's expectations, and needs more incentive for people to buy it (such as dropping the price, offering 2 for price of 1, or adding "free" gifts, such as game code vouchers). NVIDIA's 1080 Ti is an example of a successful product - it's price has remained consistently high, 15 months after launch (still slightly above MSRP). AMD tried to keep Vega prices high by severely limiting available stock, and we all know how that backfired on them - now that prices are down near MSRP, nobody wants them. Remember how thousands of people were clamoring for the chance to buy Vega, when stock was non-existent? Where are they now? Almost every new PC builder asking for advice on their parts list has listed a 1060, 1070, 1080, or 1080 TI as their choice. You hardly ever see Vega on anybody's wish list anymore.
From your post you seem like a literate and well-educated person. A literate and well-educated person can do a simple google search and find that Threadripper CPUs have similar performance to the Intel counterparts, while being cheaper (at launch prices).

I can only assume that a literate and well-educated person who is posting alternate facts is being paid to do so.

Do you know someone who would be willing to pay me? I would love to get paid for writing about products I like. Conversely, AMD doesn't have enough money to ever get me to lie and say I like their products.
Do you really type up the same nonsense on every Intel AMD topic? You're so out of touch its hilarious. Its nice how you make life so simple, I have no regrets ignoring you now, not going to miss a thing, and it saves some scrolling. Thx!
You are another 8700K buyer who claims they like AMD better than Intel - so what happened to "voting with your wallet" Oh, I guess you'd rather wait until AMD has something worth buying.

System Name Linotosh
Processor Dual 800mhz G4
Cooling Air
Memory 1.5 GB
My plan is to wait until the boards designed for the TR2 have been out for a few months and pick up a clearance TR1 and a newer board with better vrm cooling. Maybe one I can put on a closed loop liquid cooling setup. With that and 2 nvme 256GB SSDs in raid 0 and I'll be happy for a long time. I will always be able to upgrade to a TR2 if there is a great sale on them and sell the TR1.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
@Hood If nothing else, stating that TR is just a sliver of AMD's portfolio (true, but then again that's true about any halo product) and then going on to put the whole company on the spot because of how TR is doing in the market is quite a logical fracture.

Just like Intel's HEDT, these products are just for show. And maybe testbeds for server chips. They are not meant to sell in droves, they are not an ideal pick for home PCs and in the grand scheme of things, their price is set only to stop people from buying too many of them, because they're the most difficult ones to make.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I think you missed my point. I never said one word about overall market share, or about share prices. I was talking about Threadripper, which certainly doesn't guide the fortunes of either company, it's just one small part of the whole picture. My point is, does any company continuously drop the price of a product, if the product is successful? Not that I can ever recall, the opposite effect is what I have seen, over and over. They charge more when a product is in demand, not less. To me, if the product's price is dropped 4 times in less than a year, that means it's not living up to the company's expectations, and needs more incentive for people to buy it (such as dropping the price, offering 2 for price of 1, or adding "free" gifts, such as game code vouchers). NVIDIA's 1080 Ti is an example of a successful product - it's price has remained consistently high, 15 months after launch (still slightly above MSRP). AMD tried to keep Vega prices high by severely limiting available stock, and we all know how that backfired on them - now that prices are down near MSRP, nobody wants them. Remember how thousands of people were clamoring for the chance to buy Vega, when stock was non-existent? Where are they now? Almost every new PC builder asking for advice on their parts list has listed a 1060, 1070, 1080, or 1080 TI as their choice. You hardly ever see Vega on anybody's wish list anymore.

Wrong. AMD knows that last gen TR is going to be sitting on shelves which is more costly than dropping its price. What they want with CPU is different than what they want with GPU. CPU they want to build trust and market share and they do this through pricing which makes sense. After all, TR is a very cost effective solution for them.

With Vega, they NEVER wanted to sell them to consumers because here its a Ryzen in reverse: not a cost effective product at all, still "old and monolithic" versus MCM, and coupled with an expensive memory. Vega was never a gaming product and never intended or projected to take any market by storm. Instead, you see Vega is most succesful as a consumer product when combined with Ryzen and without HBM on top of it. It is utilized for the same purpose as TR and Zen as a whole.

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
....maybe its just me. I don't think I've ever seen two competitors do a simultaneous, 180 degree turn in my life. In spite of Intel's profits, seems like everything they've done lately has been one big long stumble. Amd lately has been powered by "WIN-ium." Like some magical switch has been flipped and poof the two companies lives has been switched. I'm cool either way, I buy what I like regardless of who name is on it but curious nonetheless.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
....maybe its just me. I don't think I've ever seen two competitors do a simultaneous, 180 degree turn in my life. In spite of Intel's profits, seems like everything they've done lately has been one big long stumble. Amd lately has been powered by "WIN-ium." Like some magical switch has been flipped and poof the two companies lives has been switched. I'm cool either way, I buy what I like regardless of who name is on it but curious nonetheless.
It's just you. We've all seen this before in the AthlonXP/64 versus Netburst days. AMD just took a break from all that with Bulldozer.

Clearly, Intel has a superior product line, and has no need to drastically drop prices. Just as obviously, AMD is having much trouble selling TR, and has dropped the price of their flagship CPU 4 times (so far). Intel just doesn't seem to be worried, despite the yellow journalism tactics employed by misguided editors. Strange how people spin the facts to fit their preconceived notions, as if that will magically make TR a success. Threadripper is a niche product, with very little appeal for most PC users. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CF7CmG/amd-threadripper-1950x-34ghz-16-core-processor-yd195xa8aewof
@btarunr - I can't help but notice that your personal rig is running an Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU. Where's all the love for AMD? I guess you voted with your wallet. Is it any wonder AMD is losing sales to Intel, when even AMD fans won't buy their hardware, despite all their rabid posts to the contrary?
Haha. Fanboi alert.

AMD is better in multithreaded applications. No one cares if it gets that performance with more cores than Intel. What is important is the price point and the performance. I care for you mate.

"Threadripper is a niche product, with very little appeal for most PC users."

Yes, and Intel 8, 10 and so on core CPUs make more appel for most PC users!

+1

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Yes, and Intel 8, 10 and so on core CPUs make more appel for most PC users!
I agree that Intel's HEDT CPUs make even less sense for most gamers and casual users. Nobody needs all those cores to make posts, web surf, watch videos, or even high-end games, which is maybe 90% of what I do. My quad core i7 is overkill for most of what I do. So my perspective is probably different from most people. I know a lot of people on this site have more use for the high core counts, at work or for video rendering etc. at home, but I think a lot of us hardware geeks just love the idea of having that much speed and power. I can't really afford the expensive parts anymore, may end up with Ryzen myself when this Intel system craps out. So don't take my posts personally, I just feel like I have to stick up for the underdog, which seems to be Intel these days. When I read posts from Intel-haters, I just get reactive. I guess I'm ornery that way sometimes.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Yep the 1950x is almost at $1000 now woot!....

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I think some people don't know how to handle AMD being relevant again. As PC enthusiasts, those of us who just want top performance have been on Team Intel since Core 2 Duo, which was in 2006. That means we've been saying Intel for 12 years. 12 years... let that sink in for a minute. AMD remained somewhat competitive as the value option, that is, "good enough" products at a lower price point, until Faildozer.

During this time Intel has been riding the coattails of their own success in the absence of any real competition from AMD, giving us minor generational gains, each time locking the platform down more and more. You used to be able to overclock any CPU, then you could get a little bit out of the standard CPUs, now it's totally locked down to the expensive K series CPUs only (and whatever's on the HEDT platform, which is also expensive). They got away with it too, because we showed we would pay for the performance we want.

Now, sure you can still build a better Intel system... if you have the money to spare. And I don't think the big problem lies with enthusiasts like us. For Intel, it's those running high performance servers who see that they can build a better system for less money with AMD, unless they're prepared to shell out that price premium which is in the thousands for top performance.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Now, sure you can still build a better Intel system... if you have the money to spare. And I don't think the big problem lies with enthusiasts like us. For Intel, it's those running high performance servers who see that they can build a better system for less money with AMD, unless they're prepared to shell out that price premium which is in the thousands for top performance.

Personally I don't believe Intel is that much better than TR either, in fact I believe the two lines are very close to each other in what they're capable of. True, each has it's own advantages but I seriously doubt when you compare the two there is enough difference to make one worth way more than the other...... Maybe a few bucks but certainly not by a huge amount.

AMD knows it has to deliver the goods and also price things right to attract customers - Plus the chips have to be reliable too. When you consider the cost of building a server setup for a corporation as an example or such for a University as another, each little bit saved per chip adds up to a sizeable amount of $$ they didn't have to spend to get the same basic thing.

I believe they've got it right, I just hope they keep it that way instead of letting it slip away once more.
And in all honesty I'd grab a TR in a heartbeat if I could, old or new.

Personally I don't believe Intel is that much better than TR either, in fact I believe the two lines are very close to each other in what they're capable of. True, each has it's own advantages but I seriously doubt when you compare the two there is enough difference to make one worth way more than the other...... Maybe a few bucks but certainly not by a huge amount.

AMD knows it has to deliver the goods and also price things right to attract customers - Plus the chips have to be reliable too. When you consider the cost of building a server setup for a corporation as an example or such for a University as another, each little bit saved per chip adds up to a sizeable amount of $$ they didn't have to spend to get the same basic thing.

I believe they've got it right, I just hope they keep it that way instead of letting it slip away once more.
And in all honesty I'd grab a TR in a heartbeat if I could, old or new.
SKL-X IPC is actually lower than CFL & except AVX512 workloads it is indeed no better than TR, AMD have a massive winner on their hands. Now all they need to do is to manage 32 cores with just quad channel mem albeit running high freq DDR4, unlike EPYC (octa channel) which is stuck at 2666MHz for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I'd expect Skylake-X to be slower than CFL. Skylake-X is just big Skylake, which is 2 generations behind Coffee Lake. Intel has a habit of releasing the newest tech to the mainstream platform first, then by the time HEDT gets it, there's new tech on the mainstream platform that's better clock for clock.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
SKL-X IPC is actually lower than CFL & except AVX512 workloads it is indeed no better than TR, AMD have a massive winner on their hands. Now all they need to do is to manage 32 cores with just quad channel mem albeit running high freq DDR4, unlike EPYC (octa channel) which is stuck at 2666MHz for obvious reasons.

That's actually not true... When I bench the 7820x @ 4.9ghz it generally edges out single core scores of CFL at the same speed and sometimes 100Mhz faster (cinebench, cpu-z, superpi, aida etc). In games and latency tests the ringbus will always win and like you said in AVX / FPU of any kind (512 or otherwise) SKX is an absolute monster.

I do agree with you about the 32 core TR though, nothing can touch that.

Last edited:
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
That's actually not true... When I bench the 7820x @ 4.9ghz it generally edges out single core scores of CFL at the same speed and sometimes 100Mhz faster (cinebench, cpu-z, superpi, aida etc). In games and latency tests the ringbus will always win and like you said in AVX of any kind (512 or otherwise) SKX is an absolute monster.

I do agree with you about the 32 core TR though, nothing can touch that.

Cmon, we know that synthetics are meaningless lol. That’s like saying IF is just as fast as ring bus. (yes, ryzen IPC is the same as skylake when using fast ram in synthetics).

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Cmon, we know that synthetics are meaningless lol. That’s like saying IF is just as fast as ring bus if you run synthetics (yes, ryzen IPC is the same as skylake when using fast ram in synthetics).

Maybe they match in Cinebench and a few encryption workloads but most of the time SK-x has better IPC. Granted not by much and zen 2 will most likely spank sk-x into next week.

1530252000310.png

I have an r7 1700 for work and a 7820x at home, they're definitely not in the same class even at the same speed.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1457-ryzen-7-vs-core-i7-octa-core/page3.html