• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pro Input needed

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Trying to isolate some issues on a friend's rig that I built for him about a year ago.

Starters his specs are roughly:

Phenom II X4 955BE @ 4Ghz (currently, had him clocked down to 3.6Ghz for awhile)
890GX AM3 Gigabyte board
8GB 1333 RAM
Radeon 6870 1GB
Win 7 Pro 64bit

He's had random BSODs. Can't replicate them. Just something that happens. Originally I had him at 3.8Ghz on the initial build. Issues cropped up so I clocked it down to 3.6Ghz. Issues that could be replicated went away. Applied some more insight recently, clocked it up to 4Ghz bit by bit, CPU core to 1.45V. Then gave it a little more voltage on the CPU-NB along with taking the NB freq up to 2.6Ghz. Tweaking the NB was what I didn't do before and seems to have helped get it stable. Similar what I did with my setup after I read up on it.

Now heres where the questions come in. Ran Prime, 2 cores running fine. 3rd Core lags a bit but finishes. But then the last core just seems to hang there. Other cores finish multiple tests and it still remains stuck on test 1. Found people using Vista noted this issue at times but he's on Win 7. This doesn't happen on my older system. The cores finish are roughly the same time with maybe one lagging slightly but not much.

Then I ran Cinebench and noticed one core lagging quite a bit behind the others. Test results at the end gave it a 3.14 rating. This rating is worse than my old nForce 570 AM2. Right now I'm hitting a 3.78-3.92 range @ 3.45Ghz on my 945 (depends on my NB freq) with 4.04 at 3.6 Ghz, but speed is not stable.

I'm wondering, could one of the issues all this time been a defective core? Or something else?

System Name desktop | Odroid N2+ |
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Amlogic S922X |
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M DS3H |Odroid N2+ |
Cooling Inter-Tech Argus SU-200, 3x Arctic P12 case fans | stock heatsink + fan |
Memory Gskill Aegis DDR4 32GB | 4 GB DDR4 |
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 (8GB) | Arm Mali G52 |
Storage SK Hynix SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1T | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB |
Display(s) AOC G2260VWQ6 | LG 24MT57D |
Case Asus Prime 201 | Stock case (black version) |
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 400W | 12v barrel jack |
Mouse Logitech G500 |Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Qpad MK-50 (Cherry MX brown)| Blaze Keyboard
Software Windows 10, Various Linux distros | Gentoo Linux
According to the specs, it is rated at 3.2 GHz so it is overclocked. I suggest putting all frequencies at stock ratings, including (but not limited to) the cpu, NB, ram. Do the same with all voltages, including (but not limited to) PLL and VTT voltages, ram and cpu voltage.
BTW, the memory controller is in the cpu with that cpu model, the NB is not involved with the RAM, AFAIK. But I suppose you wrote "NB" because the BIOS refers to the IMC that way.
Please note that RAM branded as Crucial and OCZ may need a manual set-up of the voltage, clock speeds and latency values (instead of "auto"). Make sure that "memory remapping" is enabled (if it isn't already) and check the PCI-e frequency (which happened to have jumped up for an unknown reason in case of my pc once). The latter should be at 100 MHz.
Does the graphics card have a custom cooler? If so, then I suggest reapplying thermal paste on the GPU, and reapplication of the VRAM/VRM heatsinks.
I read somewhere that it is better to limit the NB voltage to 1.2 volts, someone here on TPU better verify that if possible.