• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem updating Bios Please Help

Nowhyyugh

Motherboard is Crosshair VI Hero ( not the WiFi version)

Basically I just need to make a decision if weather I’m going to buy another or same motherboard or if there is any hope to fix the bios in this one. What would you guys do?

All started Last night when I was looking at the motherboards manual before proceeding to update under “Bios update utility” Reason why I decided to try and update is because I’ve been having a stutter when surfing the internet. Sometimes it’s more noticeable than other times but other than that the pc has been running fine since I built it last year until I decided to try and update my bios using a flash drive last night for the First time with a flash drive. The first time I tried to update it I Accidentally used the wrong bios because There are two versions of my motherboard, one is (WiFi) and I have the one without the WiFi.

Basically this is what I did, downloaded the WiFi bios version from Asus website, extracted/unzipped it to the root of the flash using windows unzip, renamed the file C6H.CAP as instructed in the motherboards manual, turned off the pc and power, inserted the flash drive in the bios usb, held down the flashback button for three seconds and didn’t do anything so I turned on the pc then noticed I had downloaded the wrong version so I replaced it with the one my board “supports” (the one without WiFi) then repeated the same procedure exactly and this time I noticed a big difference in the way that light flashed and how long it took to turn off...unaware yet I was hoping...after the pc showed the Asus logo screen I tried entering bios and only some logo/name appeared at the top saying “American” and I forget the other word underneath. Tried to restart several time to see if I could enter bios but noticed the same Q code on the motherboard show up “0d” manual says it’s “Reserved for future AMI SEC error codes”

also tried using the motherboards dvd to see if it will enter bios when I restart the pc but then it started giving me Q code F9 “recovery capsule not found” presuming the dvd that comes with the Mobo is the same as the Asus CrashFree Bios 3 utility/motherboard support dvd that the manual speaks about. (I also tried restarting using all three dvd drives to make sure)

Also tried enabling the LN2 Mode jumper after I turned off the pc with no luck.(assuming I did it correctly)

1) turned off pc
2)moved the jumper pin to enabled
3 restarted pc
4) get the same code

This morning I was on the phone with them and the guy handling my case number said to clear the cmos which is the only thing I didn’t do before and after flashing the bios with the update. Unfortunately nothing new happened and still get the same codes.

I am now waiting to hear back from their experts to get further support.

(Was just reading today too that it’s important to disconnect all drives from mother board, disconnecting any usb flash drives and connecting the keyboard to a usb 2.0 before doing the bios update for any of you who are thinking about updating their bios... not sure if it affected the process but I had a dvd in one of the 3 drives when I did the update, live and learn right. Lol)

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
OS Storage: SSD PNY 480 GB
Mother board: ASUS CROSSHAIR VI HERO
CPU COOLER: Thermaltake water 3.0 Triple Riing
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3200 (Cas 14)
GPU: RTX 2080
PSU: 1000 Watt coolermaster
Also have a few other regular sata drives I use as storage.

Probably won’t help but I included some pics from the manual and the mobo and code.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 869E9EA5-4606-445D-8287-6B97EE81E0E8.jpeg
    869E9EA5-4606-445D-8287-6B97EE81E0E8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 986
  • 0DAB8BBA-74E1-4027-AAA4-5CD5ED17B281.jpeg
    0DAB8BBA-74E1-4027-AAA4-5CD5ED17B281.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 758
  • AB11BF47-3AB6-45F0-A1BF-147A5259CCCA.jpeg
    AB11BF47-3AB6-45F0-A1BF-147A5259CCCA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 683
Last edited:
System Name SloMo
Processor G4560
Motherboard MSi H110-PRO-D
Cooling LC-CC-95 @ Arctic Cooling fan
Memory 2X Crucial DDR4 2400 4GB
Video Card(s) Integrated HD 610
Storage WD 500 GB + Seagate 500 GB + Toshiba 3 TB
Display(s) Lenovo D221
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) Manhattan Flex BT Headphones, Encore P-801 stereo speakers
Power Supply Corsair CX450M
Mouse microsoft office mouse
Keyboard Modecom mc-800m
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores gorstak @ hwbot.org
if clearing cmos doesn't help, take it to nearest it store that has a programator and reflash the bios...or rma it, but you may end up waiting a long time for it...

Nowhyyugh

if clearing cmos doesn't help, take it to nearest it store that has a programator and reflash the bios...or rma it, but you may end up waiting a long time for it...

Yeah chances are they will tell me to rma it. I rather just buy a new board and turn this one into an umbrella.

Any new suggestions before I do guys? I don’t have any problems rewarding someone if they can spare me the time from replacing it or having to take the pc anywhere.

Btw I also ran into this info about adding a special text file with the bios file to retry updating the bios, what do you guys think?

Scroll down and check under Intact Bios boot block:
https://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-update-error.htm

Last edited:
How are you going to RMA it if it's out of warranty? :kookoo:

Anyhow. Buy a cheap SPI programmer and fix it yourself. Plain and simple. :)
https://www.overclock.net/forum/74-...unbrick-flash-almost-any-card-amd-nvidia.html <== Works for motherboards too

Hint: Do buy the clip and try it first. Turns out that damn SOIC8 SOP8 Spring Loaded Pogo Pin Adapter ain't all it's cracked up to be. It'll work. But you'll probably have to mod it to get it to work on your EEPROM chip. The pogo pins are spaced for a "non-wide" 150mil chip(which you almost certainly don't have). So it's almost impossible to get them to make good connections on a 200/209mil chip(which you almost certainly do have). The pogo pins just need spread out a hair. Cut the adapter down the middle and shove something in there to spread 'em apart a touch. I haven't got around to doing it yet with mine. But I know for sure that'd work.

Nowhyyugh

Haha my bad not exactly what I meant to type

(See pic attachment)
Two items in my cart ok or should I get the $5 one at the bottom?

By the way I have the exact same board coming so I will be replacing it and using your solution to fix the bios on the Brick mobo.

Since this will be my first time replacing a motherboard from a failed bios all I need to do is put the new mobo in as if it was my first time putting in correct? There’s nothing special to do...just want to make sure cause I don’t want to mess up my windows files or anything on the ssd where the other motherboard booted from before.

Attachments

• 4EE05A10-0239-453E-A72B-3EF7B4AEDFFD.jpeg
    4EE05A10-0239-453E-A72B-3EF7B4AEDFFD.jpeg
    586.3 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:

CjMitsuki

You should use the method described HERE It wipes the bios chip completely before loading the new .cap file. This method works better than any of the internet flashes or built in flashes on the C6H or C7H. You can also use it to load custom bios'. It should work for your problem as it wipes everything other than the way the flashback does it by overwriting files which is not the best way to replace data. You wont have to go into bios to do it either as the utility boots from a USB providing you have another computer to use so that you can make a bootable USB with Rufus using the Afuefix64 utility. Id highly recommend using this method in the future to update bios on your Ryzen systems rather than the buggy flashback implementations the manufacturers use.

Also the logo you were seeing was the American Megatrends logo. This tool is the tool they use to write to the bios chips.

Nowhyyugh

Hey guys So I’m getting the same model motherboard today and just need some confirmation and have some questions about swapping out the motherboard BEFORE I do.

1) Should I expect any problems running the original Drive where I was running my OS?

2) If answer is yes, I should have no problem accessing the files on it so I can transferr them when I do a new OS correct?

3) Would you recommend I use Linux? I will be using different software like photoshop, and video editing software. Will also be gaming quite a bit.

Thanks Cj I will look into it and trying to fix the bad mobo using your advice if I can before I do the swap because I don’t have a laptop to work from. But if I can get one I will def try it out.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Hey guys So I’m getting the same model motherboard today and just need some confirmation and have some questions about swapping out the motherboard BEFORE I do.

1) Should I expect any problems running the original Drive where I was running my OS?

2) If answer is yes, I should have no problem accessing the files on it so I can transferr them when I do a new OS correct?

3) Would you recommend I use Linux? I will be using different software like photoshop, and video editing software. Will also be gaming quite a bit.

Thanks Cj I will look into it and trying to fix the bad mobo using your advice if I can before I do the swap because I don’t have a laptop to work from. But if I can get one I will def try it out.

Ok the old board was the ch vi amd the new one is chvi-as long as your current windows install is with the dead chvi you will have no trouble swapping mobos

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Motherboard is Crosshair VI Hero ( not the WiFi version)

Basically I just need to make a decision if weather I’m going to buy another or same motherboard or if there is any hope to fix the bios in this one. What would you guys do?

All started Last night when I was looking at the motherboards manual before proceeding to update under “Bios update utility” Reason why I decided to try and update is because I’ve been having a stutter when surfing the internet. Sometimes it’s more noticeable than other times but other than that the pc has been running fine since I built it last year until I decided to try and update my bios using a flash drive last night for the First time with a flash drive. The first time I tried to update it I Accidentally used the wrong bios because There are two versions of my motherboard, one is (WiFi) and I have the one without the WiFi.

Basically this is what I did, downloaded the WiFi bios version from Asus website, extracted/unzipped it to the root of the flash using windows unzip, renamed the file C6H.CAP as instructed in the motherboards manual, turned off the pc and power, inserted the flash drive in the bios usb, held down the flashback button for three seconds and didn’t do anything so I turned on the pc then noticed I had downloaded the wrong version so I replaced it with the one my board “supports” (the one without WiFi) then repeated the same procedure exactly and this time I noticed a big difference in the way that light flashed and how long it took to turn off...unaware yet I was hoping...after the pc showed the Asus logo screen I tried entering bios and only some logo/name appeared at the top saying “American” and I forget the other word underneath. Tried to restart several time to see if I could enter bios but noticed the same Q code on the motherboard show up “0d” manual says it’s “Reserved for future AMI SEC error codes”

also tried using the motherboards dvd to see if it will enter bios when I restart the pc but then it started giving me Q code F9 “recovery capsule not found” presuming the dvd that comes with the Mobo is the same as the Asus CrashFree Bios 3 utility/motherboard support dvd that the manual speaks about. (I also tried restarting using all three dvd drives to make sure)

Also tried enabling the LN2 Mode jumper after I turned off the pc with no luck.(assuming I did it correctly)

1) turned off pc
2)moved the jumper pin to enabled
3 restarted pc
4) get the same code

This morning I was on the phone with them and the guy handling my case number said to clear the cmos which is the only thing I didn’t do before and after flashing the bios with the update. Unfortunately nothing new happened and still get the same codes.

I am now waiting to hear back from their experts to get further support.

(Was just reading today too that it’s important to disconnect all drives from mother board, disconnecting any usb flash drives and connecting the keyboard to a usb 2.0 before doing the bios update for any of you who are thinking about updating their bios... not sure if it affected the process but I had a dvd in one of the 3 drives when I did the update, live and learn right. Lol)

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
OS Storage: SSD PNY 480 GB
Mother board: ASUS CROSSHAIR VI HERO
CPU COOLER: Thermaltake water 3.0 Triple Riing
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3200 (Cas 14)
GPU: RTX 2080
PSU: 1000 Watt coolermaster
Also have a few other regular sata drives I use as storage.

Probably won’t help but I included some pics from the manual and the mobo and code.

Thanks in advance.
while i certainly hope this isnt it i had similar updating to 1001 which vanished after, anyway it killed a ram stick just 1. mines a ch7

As others said clear Cmos but go the extra step of pulling all power cables and the cmos battery , leave it 4 hours/overnight then retry.
if that fails try one stick of memory at a time.

Nowhyyugh

I’m just going to swap the motherboard with the same model board on I got yesterday and will be installing Linux and win 10 on two m.2 nvme ssds today.

Not sure if I will be partitioning one or installing the two OS separately, what do you guys recommend?

Before I do I have a few questions.

1) stupid questions but do you remove the plastic on both sides of the heat pad before you use it on the m.2? I’m assuming you do lol

2) motherboard only has one m.2 slot so I will be using a m.2 pcie adapter, is there any difference in performance between these two? (See Pics) if there is a difference suppose it would make sense to partition the m.2 connected directly to mobo for windows and Linux.

Attachments

• 85CFDED4-0E07-4908-95C9-19EE713DAA01.jpeg
    85CFDED4-0E07-4908-95C9-19EE713DAA01.jpeg
    751.7 KB · Views: 464
  • FC6F2A41-342E-4755-84A0-900A9989D65C.jpeg
    FC6F2A41-342E-4755-84A0-900A9989D65C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 584
Last edited: