• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem with .NET and Windows 7 [I know, most people soved it, I haven't! HELP]

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Hey brothers from other mothers!

I got a problem with .Net framework (bangs head, <--- I know right?).

But this one is a bit odd, and also, I'm competing with the old lady. She's posted on the official Win 7 forums - I told her I could get the boys at TPU to solve it first before those egg-heads.

I am trying to get framework 1.1, particularly 1.1.4 (SP) to work on Win 7. Unfortunately, as some of you may know, it's not as simple as click and install.
There's a widespread method of 'slipstreaming' the 1.1 and 1.1 SP packages together, however while it apparently works for everyone else, it fails for me.

Here is what the method involves:

With a copy of dotnetfx.exe (1.1) and dotnetfxsp1.exe (1.1 SP renamed) in the same folder (in this case it's C:\DotNet\) open a cmd prompt and navigate to C:\DotNet\ then type in :

dotnetfx /C:"msiexec.exe /a netfx.msi TARGETDIR=C:\DotNet"

You will get a window asking if you wish to install.
Correct

You'll probably get a pop up compatibility window warning(.net 1.1 is not compatible with windows 7).
I never get a compatibility warning, but moving on...

It will install, and you should get a dialog box stating installation is complete
Yes I get the completion information.

Type in :

dotnetfxsp1 /XP:C:\DotNet\netfxsp.msp

You wont notice anything other than maybe an hourglass cursor
Correct

Type in:

msiexec.exe /a c:\dotnet\netfx.msi /p c:\dotnet\netfxsp.msp

Once again you'll get a pop up compatibility warning, ignore and run program button, then choose yes to install on the next pop up

Again, no pop up here.

Type in(or double click from DotNet folder)

netfx.msi

At this point, the netfx.msi should install 1.1 SP1 and that's it, you're done.

Unfortunately for me, I get an error saying that this package cannot be installed on XP 64! I assume because of the package's age, that it says XP 64, because Vista wasn't around then, all it knows it's some O/S that's 64 bit, and it supposes it's XP.

So what I'm thinking is, I can move my framework 1.1 folders from the working Vista drive and put them onto the 7 drive. But that won't be enough, I'll need to get the registry to match as well - or to register the .dll files in their entirety.

I don't know all of the entries that should exist for a properly installed 1.1SP.
I am aware of the general HKLM>Microsoft>.net location, which on the Vista drive doesn't even mention any policies or what not for 1.0, or 1.1, so I hit a dead end there.

As an FYI, we are aware of Regasm and Aspnet_regiis, but I don't believe those are what we need in this instance.

I'm open to using someone elses exported registry if that's necessary.

Anyone have any suggestions how I might manually 'install' the 1.1 into Win 7?
Please do share, as I'd really like to stop having to depend on Vista for a few obscure programs that use old .NET packages.

Thanks

Last edited: