1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problems with my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Joshmcmillan, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Joshmcmillan

Joshmcmillan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    I just bought a second had ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. I have some problems.

1. Around 70% of the times I turn the computer on there is colorful lined going all over the screen and when I move a window it doesn't refresh it etc...

2.The metal plate on the card seems to get very hot. The card has a big arctic custom cooler so I don't know why it gets this hot.

I have the newest driver from the ATI website for the 9800 series. SIS Sandra says it's a 9800 Pro so I assume it couldn't just be a wrong driver. I haven't over clocked it and I don't know how to but I don't want to. If he had would it still be even on a new motherboard?

Please reply I'm worried that I have been ripped off and before I ask for a refund I wouldn't want it to be something fixable because I got a hell of a deal and wouldn't like to return it.

Thanks!

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you bought it used, send it back, before it's too late. If it's new RMA it. I single line is a good sign of a bad card

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Joshmcmillan

Joshmcmillan New Member

Thanks Received:
    The thing is some of the time it works and some of the time it doesn't. When it works it's really good, much better then my previous Geforce 4 MX 440 and the reason I don't want to send it back is because I got a case, 550W psu, 2600+ Barton, Asus a7n8x-e deluxe, dvd burner,cd drive, 512mb ddr ram and this card for only $127 Australian dollars. Is there anything I could try to make it work? I tried uninstalling the drivers for it and using windows ones in 800x600 and 16bit and it still doesn't work. Do you think I should try installing the driver that unlocks the 4 pipelines on a 9800 SE maybe that what he had done to it, would it do that if you went back to the standard driver?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Joshmcmillan

Joshmcmillan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I seems to only have the lines when you have had it off for a couple of minutes. Like I said in my original post it gets hot but I think if I leave the computer with the lines on long enough to get hot then restart it it usually seems to get rid of the lines. Is this possible? Is there an easy fix?

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ATI drivers stick like glue and confuse each other! ATI Drivers leave a reference point and a fragment of old drivers behind so ;

If you use a driver cleaner your OK; If not, try this:

Turn off computer and remove and reinstall card, making sure it is properly and firmly seated into slot, ; THEN

Use Add/remove programs to remove all ATI drivers.
    Use Search and search for all ATI files.
    Delete them in search, right click, delete.
    Then run HDD defrag, Reboot and re-install drivers.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Joshmcmillan

Joshmcmillan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    I used a driver cleaner to get rid of all the ATI drivers and my old NVIDIA drivers and then I let the video card cool down and tried again and it still had lines and then it had blue screen of death and said ati something .dll was missing. I removed it and put it back in and still had lines but I've tried that before. I will wait for it too heat up so I can see then I will delete everything and de-frag etc...

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    ... this is the age where 9800s, 9700s, 9600s are meeting their end or their lifetime....

Joshmcmillan, please send it back because the vendor knew that this was going to happen, sadistic vendors these days!!!

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. dolf New Member

Thanks Received:
    Probably the contact between the core and the cooler is bad. Remove the cooler and see what is going on. Change the thermal paste and ensure that the cooler fits on the core and the contact is good.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Zotie New Member

Thanks Received:
    My 9800

I just reformatted my computer and installed all the recent drivers. Now when i play CSS i get lag when i look at far distances and from dust and explosion effects...... idk if this is a driver prob being incorrectly installed or wut. I think its bcause i installed the newest drivers and it doesn't have some of the core parts it needs form the others, but idk, thats y im posting. This also happens in GTA SAND ANDREAS! when theres more than 1 explosion or dust effects! wtf that shuld never happen!

Plz help

Zotie

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try ATI 7.1 drivers the newer drivers kinda rely on shader 3 your card doesn't have.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Zotie New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats wut im using, i installed the stock drivers, and then 7.1, i was running CSS on high with good frames with like 5.1

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Use XG warcat drivers, they bring the best out of the 9xxx series.

10 Year Member at TPU