• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PROCHOT locked on 13th gen

Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asus Z690 E Gaming Wifi
Video Card(s) RTX 3070
I have 9.51 downloaded and the disable prochot option seems to be disabled. Is this as a result of a bios setting?

My specs are:

asus z690 e gaming wifi

Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
the disable prochot option seems to be disabled
Do you mean the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen of ThrottleStop? Most 12th and 13th Gen motherboards have decided to lock this feature in the BIOS. There is nothing ThrottleStop can do unless you find a way to unlock this feature in the BIOS.

Processor 13700k
Video Card(s) RTX 3070
Yes, the box on the main screen.

Are there any ways you know of to unlock prochot on 12 and 13 gen boards via the bios?

Cromanin

Most 12th and 13th Gen motherboards have decided to lock this feature in the BIOS
Is it only 12&13 Gen MB related? I have 10 Gen CPU and my Lenovo MB is glitchy and triggering BD Prochot constantly. I avoid updating BIOS out of fear they will lock it up and TS won't solve it any longer.

unclewebb

Are there any ways you know of to unlock prochot on 12 and 13 gen boards via the bios?
You need to modify the BIOS to unlock BD PROCHOT adjustment. You might be able to do this by modifying a UEFI variable. I do not know anything about this subject so I cannot help you with this.

Is it only 12&13 Gen MB related?
Any manufacturer can decide at any time to release a BIOS update that locks out BD PROCHOT control. I have not yet seen any 10th Gen computers with BD PROCHOT locked out but if you update the BIOS, BD PROCHOT could become locked.

I avoid updating BIOS out of fear
That is a good fear to have. If your computer runs well while using ThrottleStop, it is not worth the risk of updating the BIOS. Many laptop BIOS updates can make things worse, not better.

Processor 13700k
Video Card(s) RTX 3070
My cpu is stuck at a frequency of 800mhz and I can't find anything to fix it in my bios. I could have missed something since all this is pretty new to me. BD prochot is flagged as the issue although the option to disable it on throttlestop is locked by my motherboard (Asus z690 E gaming wifi + 13700k). Does anyone have advice on next steps?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230128_082056.png
    Screenshot_20230128_082056.png
    823.7 KB · Views: 364
  • Screenshot_20230123_072756.png
    Screenshot_20230123_072756.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 361

ir_cow

Staff member
Is it 800Mhz in the BIOS or just in Windows?

unclewebb

@Tabs

BD PROCHOT throttling issues can no longer be easily fixed. The motherboard is defective and needs to be replaced.

Whoever first decided to start locking out BD PROCHOT adjustment is an idiot.

The fun part now is trying to convince someone about this problem. Most techs are clueless when it comes to BD PROCHOT. Intel's own testing tools cannot detect this.

ir_cow

Staff member
Can't reflashed the BIOS to something older?

unclewebb

@ir_cow

BD PROCHOT throttling is caused by a sensor on the motherboard that usually shorts out and sends a constant throttling signal to the CPU. On older motherboards with this problem, you could use ThrottleStop to disable the BD PROCHOT signal path to the CPU. This was an easy way to tell the CPU to ignore any external throttling messages. The CPU can still thermal throttle if it ever gets too hot whether BD PROCHOT is checked or not. BD PROCHOT and PROCHOT (processor hot) are two different things.

With all of the 12th and 13th Gen motherboards that I have seen so far, BD PROCHOT adjustment has been locked out. That means you can no longer use ThrottleStop to toggle BD PROCHOT off. The only solution is to replace the defective motherboard. A new motherboard replacement might develop the same problem a week or a month from now or maybe a year from now when the warranty is up.

I have never seen any documentation that shows what sensors are being used to trigger BD PROCHOT throttling. It can vary from one computer to the next. The engineer that designed the motherboard will know but any tech working in the service department will likely have never heard about this issue.

Many motherboards do not seem to use BD PROCHOT. This has been a common problem in a wide variety of MSI motherboards released during the last 10+ years. It looks like this Asus Z690 motherboard has the same BD PROCHOT issue.

Cromanin

While disabling BD-P modification, do they allow to enable it in BIOS or is it disabled “we-know-better-fuck-you-peasant” style?

If you have a BD PROCHOT throttling problem, the BD PROCHOT box should be clear in ThrottleStop. With 12th and 13th Gen, disabling BD PROCHOT is no longer possible.
I have a 10th generation i5 10300h. I didn't see any indication due to bd prochot throttling and the bd prochot box is checked in ts, should it stay as it is or do I need to clear the mark? sorry i don't know much about these settings. also i have one more question can it be related to edp throttling bd prochot?

unclewebb

EDP throttling and BD PROCHOT throttling are two different things. If you do not see BD PROCHOT lighting up in Limit Reasons, you do not have this problem. I prefer to always clear the BD PROCHOT box in ThrottleStop when possible.

EDP throttling and BD PROCHOT throttling are two different things. If you do not see BD PROCHOT lighting up in Limit Reasons, you do not have this problem. I prefer to always clear the BD PROCHOT box in ThrottleStop when possible.
Ok, thank you very much, I had another question, it's about ts, but it's not about this topic, it's about pl4, should I ask or should I open a separate issue?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
@ir_cow

BD PROCHOT throttling is caused by a sensor on the motherboard that usually shorts out and sends a constant throttling signal to the CPU. On older motherboards with this problem, you could use ThrottleStop to disable the BD PROCHOT signal path to the CPU. This was an easy way to tell the CPU to ignore any external throttling messages. The CPU can still thermal throttle if it ever gets too hot whether BD PROCHOT is checked or not. BD PROCHOT and PROCHOT (processor hot) are two different things.

With all of the 12th and 13th Gen motherboards that I have seen so far, BD PROCHOT adjustment has been locked out. That means you can no longer use ThrottleStop to toggle BD PROCHOT off. The only solution is to replace the defective motherboard. A new motherboard replacement might develop the same problem a week or a month from now or maybe a year from now when the warranty is up.

I have never seen any documentation that shows what sensors are being used to trigger BD PROCHOT throttling. It can vary from one computer to the next. The engineer that designed the motherboard will know but any tech working in the service department will likely have never heard about this issue.

Many motherboards do not seem to use BD PROCHOT. This has been a common problem in a wide variety of MSI motherboards released during the last 10+ years. It looks like this Asus Z690 motherboard has the same BD PROCHOT issue.
Planned obsolescence it seems