1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

program to reduce CPU fan speed ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Maju, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Maju New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello.

Have just changed my mobo to an ABIT AT8 32X as was fed up with screaming NB fan.

Now (annoyingly) the AMD Cool&Quiet drivers/uGuru only allows me to reduce the CPU fan to 1500rpm which is still a little too noisy. On my last mobo Cool and Quiet reduced fan to 900rpm which was lovely and quiet and still kept CPU at 32 C

Is there a program out where I can manually adjust the CPU fan speed ?

Thankyou

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. p-jack New Member

Thanks Received:
    try SpeedFan... not sure if it works with your MB though, but for me it´s fine, can´t notice my cpu fan @ 800rpm... :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you checked to see if you can adjust fans in Bios. Or try Speed fan.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Maju New Member

Thanks Received:
    No luck with speed fan - mobo doesn't seem to be supported.
    Havn't tried bios yet.

Ta

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    Scythe has a 'passive' CPU cooler (Ninja)...I think it was passive cooling @ idle (or doing non-intensive stuff), and low RPM 90mm fan for under load.

Go water if you don't want to listen to fans. I have gotten used to it, and consider it part of owning a PC (i.e. I gave up)

'Ocre

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    you could get a new cpu cooler if it really bothers you, I know mine does if I run it 100% in bios.. get one with pmw control like I think the silver zalman 9500 has it... or you could get a regular 9500-9700 and use the fanmate controller :p.

When I got pmw on I cant even hear my fan at all.. with my 9500at

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Maju New Member

Thanks Received:
    Currently have Gigabyte Power Cooler Pro which in my humble opinion is pretty good, so don't really want to change coolers.
    Haven't managed to find a program that my mobo (ABIT AT8 32X) is compatible with yet. Am sure i've seen a in line voltage reducer for fans somewhere so shall have a look for those tomorrow. Don't know if that will work though.
    :ohwell:

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Reviews say this is a loud cooler. Is your game maximum overclock, or stock speeds, but as quiet as possible?

In the past I have spend good $$$ on coolers that looked great, or cooler great, but were in fact poor performers from a noise perspective. For example the Artic Feezer is a great cooler but noisey. Whereas some of the other Artics are not so good at cooling (but good enough at stock or small overclock) but were very much quieter.

I recommend you bite the bullet and get yourself a better starting point for your "quiet" PC. And that means a better cooler.

P.S.

I'm currently running a Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu. Its a bit noisey at stock speed and voltage (12v). However, sticking the fan at 7v makes the thing practically silent. And for a P4 3.0 Northwood, the temps remain under 60C even at full utilisation. I can recommend the Zalman, and a 12v to 7v converter.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
    10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Maju New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok. thanks people. Shall have to forgo new cooler at the mo as just burnt a big hole in the pocket with new mobo and X1950xtx, 5.1 system and thermalright HR 03.:) :D :rockout:

Have found a tempory workaround by connecting 120mm case fan to the cpu fan header and runnning cooler from the fan controller. Perhaps not ideal but will have to do for the moment.
    At least it is back to some semblance of fairly quiet and unobtrusive.

Thanks for suggestions/help

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I forgot that you could get a fan controller for you cpu fan theres "fanmate" you can buy as a controller for like $7 Canadian at nicx.
    I wasent sure if it was fully compatable with any coolers than zalman but in another post I read fan controllers are.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    I have a fan control unit that goes in the 5.25 bay, controls up to 4 fans IIRC. I never used it because my kids like knobs, esp. ones that glow!

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Turbolinux-THERMAL-MONITOR-ASPIRE-609-FN-MSTR
    GOt it from Newegg a year ago, can't find any other info on it.
    I never installed it. Still have it in the orig box if you want it. $15 +ship, pm me

10 Year Member at TPU