• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Project: Diabolo

Project: Diabolo (12-12-12 Final Picks)

Hi Everyone!

So, this time round it won´t be a case revival or a "Mod in a Week" project, mainly because Cooler Master has decided I should have a HAF X and well, I kind of want to take my time with such a nice case :D!

Now, I am useless at google sketch and that kind of software that you guys use, not to mention drawing! So I will try to explain the concept of project Diabolo.

If any of you saw my Fallout Cause project (http://www.neonit.net/) you´ll know that, more than anything else, I enjoy painting, and with my previous project (Acid Burn) it was a pretty simple paint scheme, no matter how detailed it was and I feel like playing with shades and effects again so... I´m going to (or try to) turn this gorgeous HAF X in to a demon, (the fact I played through Doom 3 and it´s expansion again the other day ... may have something to do with it!

So, I will be using foam and epoxy (with internal reinforcing) to build 2 massive horns that will go through the lenght of the top of the case, depending on how these come out, I might also add a pointed tail. Aside from this, I will be modifying the body (it´s going to hurt bashing it in) and adding "skin deformations" to give it that tough demon skin look.

Paint wise, black, with dark red/purple skin tones, and bright-ish red details to accentuate irregularities in the skin. For the horns, I´m thinking white-ish cream with a dark brown dry brush touch, or I may go with dark colours like the rest of the case, we shall see!

Hardware wise, the wonderfull people at Cooler Master (I´m looking at you Gert!) have also sent me an awesome 80+ 1000w PSU. I will be using an ASUS P8P67 Sabertooth (I´ve chosen this mobo because of it´s thermal armor, which I can modify to match the design), with an Intel i5 2500k. 2x Asus ENGTX 275, a Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality, 3x Seagate Barracuda 750Gb S-ATA2 drives and a Pioneer cd/dvd combo drive.

Other hardware like fan controllers, memory card readers and so forth I will add as I see fit if I can put them in to the design.

Right, for those of you who saw my week in a mod project (acid burn) you might remember my work place was a complete mess for several reasons I won´t go in. So, first thing´s first, let´s sort this place out!!!!!!

Quite a mess huh? I should also mention it´s currently 37c... and rather humid...ugh!

Yup that´s my old Fallout Cause sitting there waiting to be either sold or re-purposed :/ and of course, the goodies from CM!

Right so, assorted cables and accesories, sorted!

Assorted Hardware, sorted!

Bits and bobs, sorted!

Tools, sorted!

Workbench, sorted!

I can´t stress it enough, Thanks CM!

Let´s start unpacking...

And that´s it for now, tomorrow I pick up the materials needed to start the transformation of the case!

Last edited:
System Name ASUS ROG Zephrus M15
Processor AMD Rhyzen 7 4800HS
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) Geforce RTX 2060
Storage 1TB
Hi Everyone!

First of all, sorry for the delay, I´ve been rather ill for the last week and a half, and still not 100% but well enough to continue, it´s a short update, but more tomorrow!

So, I continued to dismantle the case completely:

And this is how the bare chasis of the HAF X looks like:

Now that´s out of the way, i measured things up and drilled 2 small holes on the front cover, matching holes behind in the chasis in order to put the supports for the horns:

And lastly for today (I have to wait till tomorrow for the foam to dry), the straight mold of the horn filled with foam:

The horn isn´t going to be straight up, it will mold around the top of the case, however, I decided to make it straight in order to then brake it in to shape and filling the gaps with more foam, so I don´t end up with parts with structural weakness due to lack of foam.

Tomorrow, the other horn plus the shaping, filling, and coating with epoxy.

Hi Again!

First of all, a small rant, it´s stupidly HOT, arg!

Now, down to business:

First horn has been splitted in the desired zones to help curve the form for when the epoxy comes (which, no time for today as I forgot the detail of having to leave the foam tu cure in the filler spots, i.e. where the foam has been splitted) and filled. I´ve also mounted it on the case to see how it looks, unfortunately because of the design of the case frontal (really hard to take it off without taking the top off) I had to mount it permanently, so, when I do the epoxy tomorrow or whenever I will have to cover the rest of the case so i don´t get drops in it, which I might not do aniway because I was planning on leaving irregularities on the case to later help the paint simulate demon skin.

Also, I´ve started the second horn, a big THANKS goes to my sister for helping me out with both, as she has more experience with molds and supports for them.

And now, left to cure til ltomorrow!

That´s all for today!

Hi Everyone!

I know it´s been quite a while since the last update, I havn´t been home this long due to a work contract but I´m back now to my usual day to day life so, I can now officially continue with the project! :D (I´ve really missed doing so).

Now there´s no progress since the last update since I got back not long ago but will start again tomorrow.

However for now, news! A new sponsor has chosen to participate in this project...

So big thanks to Kingston!

The good folks at Kingston have sent me 16Gb of DDR3 1600 of HyperX RAM, undoubtedly one if not the most well known name in the performance memory market. Also, to top it off, they´ve sent 2 96Gb SSD drives of their SSDNow! series which will be going in a striping RAID config.

So thank you very much Kingston!!!!!!

Aside from that, an other I did has arrived!

2 clear fans with red led for the top of the case.

And an ASUS Sabertooth P67 motherboard, now I know it isn´t a high end ASUS motherboard but I just love the look of it!

Right that´s it for today folks, if all goes well, tomorrow or the day after, another update!

I´m just not going to say a date from now on as it always takes me longer!!

Small Update:

Second horn is on, and have realised it looks nothing like the original, but will make them more similar with the epoxy, aniway, all foamed up and currently drying, 24h wait, hopefully tomorrow I can go down and see if it needs any more filler, after that, epoxy.

It´s starting to take shape : )

So the first layer of epoxy is on and now waiting for it to harden so I can use a second layer for more filler, maybe a third if needed, after that, sanding down to create a smooth surface (in preparation for primer) yet rugged so the horns look like they have wear and tear on them : )

Last edited:
Update:

Sanded the solid expoxy down and applied the second and final coat of the stuff:

At one point I was thinking of 3rd epoxy filler layer to make it all one smooth surface, but then I though it would look very artificial, this way it looks like it has a lot of wear and tear, and the once painted in a way to reflect that it should look pretty awesome : )

Quick Update:

So I just ordered a few goodies, this should complete the list of accesories : )

Sharkoon Cold Cathode 30 4x RED Kit,

Sunbeam Cold Cathode 30cm single UV.

Revoltec 5.25" Fan Controller (will be painted according to color scheme).

L.I.S. Premium Silver Frontal Unit (will be painted according to color scheme and in shape of a mouth, teeth, etc).

Aquacomputer Aquabox Professional 5 Black Reservoir (will be painted to act as the eyes)

EK-Ekoolant Blood Red 1000ml x2

EK Waterblocks EK-KIT H30 - Supreme LT 360 Cu

All to arrive on Monday : )

Update:

I´ve given the horns one more coat of epoxy to round things up and give them their final shape before sanding down in order to get them ready for paint.

And started coating the rest of the case with the "skin" which will be painted in a mixture of black, brown, blood red and fire red tones...
...infected blisters anyone?

Now to let it dry till tomorrow.

Update:

I´ve aplied first coat of "skin" to the rest of the areas that where meant to have it. Once dry (in a couple of hours) I will cover all "skin" areas with a very very thin layer of epoxy, so it still keeps the detail but becomes much stronger (it is quite frail on it´s own).

Krony

System Name Stealth Mk III
Processor Intel i7 950 @ 4.2GHz @ 1.38v
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Swiftech Apogee XT, Koolance NX580, 1x SR-1 120.4, 2x RX 120.2 rads
Memory 3x2Gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 PC3-12800C8
Video Card(s) Sli Evga 3Gb GTX 580's @ 825/1650/2025 @ 1.088v
Storage OS: 240Gb Vertex 3, Steam: 120Gb Vertex 2E, Storage: 1Tb F3, Backup: 1TB F1
Display(s) Samsung SM 2493HM
Case LD Cooling PC-V8
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Antec High Current Pro 1200w
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark11 - P12324 / Vantage - P50183
Looking interesting so far :)

Second Update of the Day:

Second and final coat of "skin" (for this one, epoxy as opposed to foam) done. Now it has to dry, tomorrow I will sand any imperfections of over the edge material and prep it for paint (primer).

Update:

Ok, so, imperfections sanded down, panels put togueter, masking tape...

...and first coat of primer paint. Needs a second coat but I´m out of primer so will have to wait till tomorrow so I can go get some (was going aniway to buy the actual paint).

I´m really starting to see the final picture : )

Update:

So goodies arrived : )

Ok, lets start the paintjob!

First, a second coat of primer was added, but no need for pictures, it´s just primer, plus it looks like the previous pictures...

Second, a coat of visceral red (it really does look visceral!)

Now let´s darken the whole thing with tones of blood red, purple and black...

more...

mooore! (and while I´m at it, horns!, also, 100th picture of the project)

MORE!!

MOOOAAAAR!!!!!!!!!!

That´s more like it : )

Close ups of the horn that´s almost finished so far...

Now, 3 hours of dry time and then more ; )

System Name Main Rig
Processor AMD FX-6100
Motherboard Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX
Cooling Fans:1x120mm, 2x140mm
Memory 16GB Hyper-X DDR III 1866 9-11-9-27-1T
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6950 2GB x 2
Storage Kingston V200+ 128GB SSD + OCZ Petrol 64GB SSD + WDB 500GB + WDB 640GB + WDB 750GB
Display(s) Asus PA238QR IPS @ 1920x1080
Case Lancool
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 8 Pro X64
very interesting so far :)

System Name Hogan's Crap
Processor Intel i3-2120 Crap!
Motherboard Dell POS Crap!
Cooling Stock Crap!
Memory 4 GB Kingston DDR3 10600 Crap!
Video Card(s) Stock Crap!
Storage 500 GB 5400 rpm Crap!
Software Windows 10 64bit
I like how you left the texture without a lot of modification. Cant wait to see the rest. :rockout:

I like how you left the texture without a lot of modification. Cant wait to see the rest. :rockout:

At one point a few days back I did start to sand it down to get a smoother surface, but as I did a portion I realised it didn´t go well with the theme, so I redid the foam and epoxy in that second and went on with the project, it´s not offen, not sanding & grinding is a good thing, so making the most of it ; )

System Name Hogan's Crap
Processor Intel i3-2120 Crap!
Motherboard Dell POS Crap!
Cooling Stock Crap!
Memory 4 GB Kingston DDR3 10600 Crap!
Video Card(s) Stock Crap!
Storage 500 GB 5400 rpm Crap!
Software Windows 10 64bit
At one point a few days back I did start to sand it down to get a smoother surface, but as I did a portion I realised it didn´t go well with the theme, so I redid the foam and epoxy in that second and went on with the project, it´s not offen, not sanding & grinding is a good thing, so making the most of it ; )
I think the texture will blend very well when you uncover your windows and the other things that dont have any texture to them.

In deed, really looking forward to unconvering the window and putting the system in to see it with the liquid cooling and cold cathodes : )

Second Update of the day:

Second and last fase for the exterior paintjob, another coat of paint and it´s different tones has been added, finished the horns, used brown ink (the one I used to stain the horns) to highlight corners and all sorts of parts in the case, to give it that worn feel to it.

Tomorrow morning I´ll be doing the paintjob of the inside, bright fire red to contrast, the components that will be painted I haven´t decided yet wether to paint them that way, or the same tones used on the outside.

Will let it dry for the rest of the day and then in the evening/night, assemble the whole thing, components, liquid cooling, fans, etc...

On wednesday it´s going to an all week long modding event to make it´s debut.

Aniway, enjoy. I´m knakered.

Update:

The interior paint is done and so are the case´s accesories, as you can see, I only gave it one coat (after primer) because I don´t think a perfect solid red paintjob would suit the look of the case, this way, it still has tones of the black primer, and it´s now been lackered in a metal finish, that way, even the tones shine. It´s time to start with the components.

Yes, those are the eyes ; ) (modified reservoir).

More updates and final completed update later today.

System Name dell beast
Processor dual Xeon x5675
Motherboard dell t7500
Cooling stock
Memory 48gb ecc ddr3
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7870 Myst 2gb
Storage 2tb hpe ssd
Display(s) asus 23.8" 1080p
Case t7500
Audio Device(s) XFI soundblaster
Power Supply 1200watt dell
Mouse logitech
Keyboard logitech
Software win10x64
wow...this is very cool, looking forward to see how the whole thing ends up, will be awesome