• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Project: Light Meadow (Completed)

Hi Guys,

As some of you know, at the time of posting this I´m also working on the tutorial project: nº2, it is however because of that project that this one came around. One of the readers in one of the forums really liked it and she decided she wanted something similar, using the same brand and model basic case, but with a "normal" window, and matt pastel green and white with a little detailing on the opposite side.

So for the last four days I´ve been doing it, it´s now been given to her, the client and she seemed over the moon happy with it, so that makes me happy : )

I won´t go in to much detail because really, there´s not much detail, it´s a minimalistic mod with simple every day hardware, somehow however, I had a lot of fun doing it, I found it quite relaxing to be honest.

So here goes, 18 photos from start to finish (most of the actual finished case but hey).

The flower detailing was done with a fine brush, I´d like to thank my sister for helping me with that.

Took me quite a while to find the right kind of matt clear lacquer so it wouldn´t shine whatsoever or reflect anything which is what she wanted, turns out that´s quite hard to find in acril based paints but did eventually find it, and I love the stuff!

Anyhow, the whole thing took just about 8 hours in 4 days (a couple of hours a day) from start to finish.

Thanks for reading/watching! : )

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
very clean work done here. but why paint the HDD ?

Thanks AhtlonX2, to be honest I never stopped to think about it, it´s just something I do in most if not all of my projects. I think it adds a few more details to the whole look and it takes almost no time or paint to do so : )

This is one of the few builds for a Woman that looks good. Great Job.

Processor R9 5950x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling EK 360mm AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16gb (CL16@3800MHz)
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe | Intel 660p 2TB NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB323QK 4K 144Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Objective2 Amp/DAC | GoXLR | AKG K612PRO | Beyerdynamic DT880| Rode Pod Mic
Power Supply Corsair AX 850w
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite V2
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB "Cherry MX Brown"
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro
simple and clean, like it! :toast: :respect:

System Name Mad Moose 2600K
Processor 2600k OC4600
Motherboard Asrock Z68 Extreme 4
Cooling Megahalems 2 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm
Memory 2 x 4Gig Gskill Sniper
Video Card(s) Was Gigabyte 6850OC. Now in kids pc :-( 9800GT
Storage OCZ Agility 3 120, WD 1 TB
Display(s) Benq 22.5
Case NZXT H2
Audio Device(s) Onboard. Logitech Z4 speakers
Power Supply OCZ Fatal1ty 750W
Software W7 Ultimate
The decoration is very creative and different from the norm. Well done.

Huddo93

System Name Gaming Rig
Processor i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus Z77 Deluxe-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory RipjawsX 8GB @ 2133MHz 11-11-11-30
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX670 SC @ 1300MHz core
Storage OCZ Vertex 4 256GB + 1TB Samsung HDD
Display(s) 23" LG W2343T
Case Corsair 650D
Power Supply Corsiar AX-850
I love how you have turned that fairly simple and boring case into something as clean, crisp and a absolute delight to look at! Would fit so well in any home, great work.

System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
Not trying to cause trouble, but most hard drives have breather holes on them to allow the drive to adjust for differences in pressures inside and outside the drive. Seems like painting a hard drive could potentially cause them to fail faster than they would otherwise. Have you successfully painted hard drives in the past without issue?

Hi CJCerny,

No trouble at all : )

I will be explaining how to paint hdds in the next part of the tutorial project posted in a different thread, but might as well answer here aniway. The hdds painted here are both seagate drives, which do not have breather holes on the top metal plate which makes it a lot easier to paint.

Other drives like WD do have them on top, the trick with this one is to spray (be it gun or spraycan) on sideways manner as opposed to top down. In both cases, as long as we use acrylic paint (water based, non dissolvant) we´re fine as this paint transpires and does not create a coat if you will like synthetic or plastic paints do.

As for the question, yes, I tend to paint the HDDs in most if not all of my projects for that extra detail. Never had any problems in the 2 years I´ve been doing it for. A word of warning though, I´ve never had to check but I´m pretty sure it WILL void the hdd guarantee so I suggest using drives that are out of guarantee to begin with, not so much for the risk of braking it, but more for the risk if your hdd is wrong, or simply dies, not being able to replace it as you would with any other part.