1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Prolimatech Black Series Genesis

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by crazyeyesreaper, Nov 19, 2013.

1. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2013
  2. rein_psiko4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    forgive me if im wrong...but i think it isnt fair enough since this cooler can cool ram...it has its negetives but its also have a advantage that other cooler dosent have.

3. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    I have found all positives and negatives explained in the conclusion, including the one you mentioned. Pretty fair score if you ask me.

... and also it looks a lot less ridiculous when installed :D

4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I admit not having read the entire thing. Can the cooler be rotated 180 deg to no block memory slots and pump air onto one bank of VRMS?

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  5. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    I don't think it can, cpu socket is pretty much centered and cooler goes over the board edge. On the back of the motherboard it would clash with the case.
    [​IMG]

Sasqui says thanks.
  6. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    I really don't get why prolimatech sent you thinner than normal fans if they gave it normal 140x25 or 120x25 it would've performed better though what I think is really the best about this cooler is using LED fans on it since see one of them is visible head on or glowing RAM like the Avexir core series and a translucent set of fans like the enermax T.B Silence fans or tinted fans like nanoxia's FX evo series

7. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    If you read the review you would realize I tested with a few generic fans in the 1000-1300 rpm range and saw no performance difference compared to the fans Prolimatech provided. Cheaper alternative? yes better performance would depend on overclock / CPU / socket/ etc.

If i had more test platforms I could offer more concrete info but to be honest. if the fans are quiet there isnt much difference. Due to the design of the cooler and the thin heatsink design lots of static pressure isnt necessary as such thinner fans work just fine.

8. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    we need sinks that perform as good as the Gamer Storm Assassin and Dark Rock Pro 2 without hanging over the Ram slots- any ideas?

9. Para_Franck

Para_Franck

Thanks Received:
    Well I have a Dark Rock Pro 2 with Kingston HyperX Beast 2400, it does fit pretty tight, but it fits. I admit that if my ram sinks would have been any bigger, it would not have fit, so it can be a problem. Arguably, the good AIO water cooling kits like the ones from Swiftech are the best soltuion if you want to avoid any clearance issues and have maximum cooling performance. Good air coolers will always be bulky and will always sit close to the ram and/or the first PCI slot.

Also, great review right here, keep em comin.

10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Im still a lil skeptical of water coolers, besides you still need fans to keep vrms and othrr components cool

11. apertotes New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi, i hope you can forgive my ignorance. i have this heatsink, and until yesterday I had it without fans. It was working great, but I found some fans on sale on newegg, and yesterday I installed them. I did so the way that seemed most natural to me, that is, with the side that has the name on it visible.

And now I wonder if I was wrong. Then fans are https://www.phanteks.com/PH-F140XP.html

Right now I think they are blowing away from the heatsink, and I guess they should be blowing into the heatsink.

Anyway, I am a complete noob, so I would like if somebody experienced could help me a bit. In case it is revelant, my case is Rosewill Thor v.2

Thanks!

12. sttubs

sttubs

Thanks Received:
    A fan's airflow is from the open end through to the back of the fan, that has the framework of the fan frame.