1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Proper thermal application on HDT

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Sanhime, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Sanhime

Sanhime

Thanks Received:
    Whats the the proper way of applying thermal compound to heatsinks with HDT or heatpipe-direct-touch (ie: Xigmatek and Kingwin heatsinks)?

2. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    2 ways:
    apply a thin line of paste on each heatpipe

or...

apply a thin layer on the cpu

I prefer the first meathod

Sanhime says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Like this:

[​IMG]

Make sure the cracks are filled in with thermal paste first and wipe away the excess, then two small lines where it's depicted in the picture.

Sanhime says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    I'm a big fan of use a little too much, make up for it by constructing your own mounting plate and have a lot of mounting force. I recently used a Xig on a build for my brother on an AM3 rig. Their mounting mech. would have had the fan facing either up or down instead of front to back so I fashioned my own, spread a thin layer of TIM on the CPU then ran a line down each of the pipes before mounting.... then screwed that bastard down so it won't budge at all when he picks it up and drives it from Ohio to Virginia.

Sanhime says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Sanhime

Sanhime

Thanks Received:
    hmm, 2 different ways: so one is one the pipe, and the other is between the pipes. lol

6. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    I'm PRETTY sure your only supposed to put compound on the actual pipes... To help conduct the heat into them...

But I have a TRUE120 :) - so what do I know.

Edit : Filling in the cracks does make sense tho - HDT coolers do lose a lot of efficiency by air in the cracks preventing proper heat spread (to the outer pipes) - so thermal compound in there would help with that.

Sanhime says thanks.
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The way it is done in the pic I provided is the best way to do it. Benchmark Reviews tried a bunch of different ways, as did I.

Sanhime says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Dragonsmurf New Member

Thanks Received:
    I found on my CPU's to use a 5 dot pattern works best. my suggestion would be is to try different ways and see what works best for you. you go through a lot of thermal paste at first. also make sure u have a retention plate as well.

Sanhime says thanks.
  9. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sanhime says thanks.
  10. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Yeah - I suppose no matter where you look there's somebody claiming one way works better than another - erocker / Arctucas method looks good.

And erocker is looking very "Dr Steel".

What makes it more complicated still is exactly what KIND of compound you are using. Many more exotic variants have quite different spreading & curing behavior as well - so the exact same method may yield different results depending on compound :\

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  11. Sanhime

Sanhime

Thanks Received:
    Can you use isopropanol (aka IPA, rubbing alcohol, 2propanol) to remove the TIM off the NB if I decide to switch from stock NB cooling to after market?
    And why do manufacturer use so much TIM on the NB, I popped my EVGA x58 NB heatsink and its trenched in Artic Ceramique.
    And why did they use something non-conductive like ceramique? Whats wrong with arctic silver 5 on NB?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  12. Dragonsmurf New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea it will work or get the job done. nothing wrong with as5 but there are better compounds that require no curing time and are cheaper. gc xtreme is one of them. noctua nth1, cm thermal fusion 400 to name a few