• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PS3: HDMI to DVI w/ Audio

lildragon

Yup, that's what I'm using actually.

Playing PS3 at 1080p with sound, I'll post some pictures of it soon. :rockout:

Really? How in the world did you get it to work through your soundcard? I'm thinking I need all female leads and plug in my computer speakers that way.

~t

ktr

He is not going through the sound card, but directly to his speakers via RCA.

lildragon

Yup that was it, went out and bought a dual female coupler and now enjoying a full HD experience.

Thx for the help!

~t

julio41297

PS3 DVI audio prob

im gettin ps3 and i have a 19" LCD monitor (it has speakers but it plays like shit) in my room so i bought a HDMI - DVI cable but that will only give me video but no audio.... if i run the audio from the 3 color thing striaght to my monitor... will it play?????? and if it does. i know it will be shitty. i wanna run it to my pc speakers but the speakers have a male connection that plugs into the CPU but doesnt have a female part so u can plug it in so it an play audio like the monitor can... wat can i do to get audio.. not jus any kind.....proper audio... and im not 2 familiar with this stuff can u make it simple as possible.. thnks

Awais193

Ohh ok, I remember that, thanks much for your help. :toast:

Hello, i have the same promblem i do not have any sound on my Ps3 for Hdmi to Dvi. i was wondering how i could get some sound im not bothered if its hd sound or normal sound i dont know how to get around this.

Thanks

Awais193

Re: Hdmi to Dvi Sound Promblem

Hello, i have the same promblem i have set up my Hdmi to Dvi cable but i do not have any sound. can you help me getting around this. i am not bothered if it is Hd Sound i just need some sound. can you give me some instructuons please. i am not very good at using the ps3 so could you please giv me some good instructions. Thanks

Awais193

Hello, i was wondering if some one can help me to get sound on my ps3. i have set up hdmi to dvi cable but i do not have any sound can some one giv me some clear instructions please. i am not botherd if it is Hd sound as long as i have sound. so can some one giv me clear instructions i am not very good at using the ps3 so you know. Thanks

System Name Everchanging
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair Dark Hero
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 2 420mm
Memory 2x16GB Corsair DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 256GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) 2xSamsung 28" 4k HDR 144Hz
Case Fractal Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) fiio K9 to Hifiman Sundara's via 4.4mm balanced cable
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX 850w
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 x64
From the settings menu select Sound Settings, then Audio Output Settings. From there you can choose to run the audio over your connector of choice. The PS3 will have pictures of those connections and connectors so you can be sure that you select the correct one.

Darren

System Name Cheap yet powerful gaming and entertainment rig!
Processor AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 Windsor, 1 MB L2 Cache (512k L2 Per Core), 65W Energy efficient, 2GHz @ 2.78 Ghz
Motherboard Asrock ALiveNF7G-HD720p Rev v5.0
Cooling Freezer 64, 2x120mm, 1x92mm
Memory 8 GB DDRII PC6400 @ 929 MHz OCZ (2GBx4) timing: 5-5-5-5-16-2T
Video Card(s) XFX ATI4830
Storage Seagate 320 GB SATA (16 MB Cache)
Display(s) 19' HannsG (1440x900 @ 75hz)
Case Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Case
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian, Pioneer VSX-516 Receiver 7.1 with DD/DD EX/Prologic II/DTS/DTS-ES//DTS: Neo
Power Supply Cool Master eXtreme Power 460W PSU
Software Vista Ultimate X64 Corporate Edition
Awais193,

Posting the same message in such a short duration will not get your question answered any quicker.

I do not own a PS3, but I'm positive that a DVI cable can only pass through video signals only. So theoretically if you use a HDMI to DVI cable you will not get sound only visuals because DVI is for visuals not sound!

HDMI cable should be avoided for audio unless you have the proper equipment such as a compatible AV receiver.

Your best bet is to use the red, white and yellow cable and hook it up to the TV. The white and red cable is for the audio.

Last edited: