• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PS3 to Launch in Europe and Australasia on 23rd March 2007

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
London, 25 January 2007 - Sony Computer Entertainment Europe today announced that PLAYSTATION 3 will be launched in the PAL territories of Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Australasia on 23rd March 2007 at a price of EURO 599 (GBP 425, AUD 999.95, NZ 1199.95).

Responding to retail and consumer demand, SCEE confirmed that initially only the 60GB model would be available, with the 20GB model to follow later in the year dependent on demand.

An expected one million PS3 units will be made available during the initial launch period.

SCEE also announced a stellar launch line-up of over 30 game titles for PS3, including eagerly awaited titles published by SCEE such as Resistance: Fall of Man , MotorStorm , Genji : Days of the Blade, FORMULA ONE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION and Ridge Racer 7. An exceptional range of titles in every genre will also be available at launch from the world's leading third party publishers, including Electronic Arts, Activision, Namco Bandai, Sega, Take 2, Ubisoft, Vivendi Universal, and Sony Online Entertainment.

In addition to games on disc, an exciting range of fully-featured downloadable games will debut on the PLAYSTATION Network. These will include gaming icons such as Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection and Gran Turismo HD Concept; the fully-featured PS3 debut of the best-selling franchise Gran Turismo, realised with full HD (1080p) visual quality. Created by Polyphony Digital Inc and published by Sony Computer Entertainment, Gran Turismo HD Concept has been downloaded by more than 350,000 users since it was released in December 2006 in North America and Japan.

Also available on the PLAYSTATION Network will be brainteasers such as Go! Sudoku and Go! Puzzle, and innovative games such as Blast Factor and flOw , designed exclusively for PLAYSTATION 3 and delivering on the promise to provide original content created by non-traditional developers and publishers.

Concurrent with the European launch, a new System Update to further enhance the entertainment potential of PS3 will be issued.

Announcing the launch details, David Reeves, President of SCEE said, "Following the hugely successful launches of PS3 in Japan and North America, we are absolutely delighted to be able to bring significant numbers of PS3 to the SCEE territories. To be able to launch with over 30 titles across every genre shows that this is our strongest launch line-up in the history of PlayStation, and is what PlayStation fans in Europe have been crying out for."

PLAYSTATION 3 LAUNCH TITLE LINE-UP
  • PS3 Launch Title - Publisher - Network or Disc based
  • Resistance: Fall of Man - SCEE - Disc
  • MotorStorm - SCEE - Disc
  • Genji : Days of the Blade - SCEE - Disc
  • FORMULA ONE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION - SCEE - Disc
  • Ridge Racer 7 - SCEE - Disc
  • Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection - SCEE - Network
  • Lemmings - SCEE - Network
  • Go! Sudoku - SCEE - Network
  • Go! Puzzle - SCEE - Network
  • Blast Factor - SCEE - Network
  • flOw - SCEE - Network
  • Super Rub'a'Dub - SCEE - Network
  • Call of Duty 3 - Activision UK Ltd - Disc
  • Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Activision UK Ltd - Disc
  • Tony Hawks Project 8 - Activision UK Ltd - Disc
  • Gundam - Target in Sight - Namco Bandai Games - Disc
  • Full Auto 2: Battle Lines - Sega Europe Ltd - Disc
  • Sonic the Hedgehog - Sega Europe Ltd - Disc
  • Virtua Fighter 5 - Sega Europe Ltd - Disc
  • Virtua Tennis 3 - Sega Europe Ltd - Disc
  • World Snooker Championship 2007 - Sega Europe Ltd - Disc
  • NBA 2K7 - Take 2 International SA - Disc
  • NHL 2K7 - Take 2 International SA - Disc
  • Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWll - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc
  • Enchanted Arms - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc
  • The Elder Scrolls lV: Oblivion - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc
  • Def Jam: Icon - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
  • EA SPORTS Fight Night Round 3 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
  • NBA Street Homecourt - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
  • Need for Speed Carbon - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
  • The Godfather The Don's Edition - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
  • Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 07 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
  • Untold Legends Dark Kingdom - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
  • F.E.A.R. - Vivendi Universal Games Intl SA - Disc
  • Gripshift - Sony Online Entertainment - Network
PLAYSTATION 3 Peripherals Available at Launch Peripheral

RRP in Euros
  • SIXAXIS Wireless Controller - EURO 49.99
  • Blu-ray Disc Remote Control - EURO 24.99
  • HDMI Cable - EURO 24.99
  • AV cable - EURO 16.99
  • Component AV cable - EURO 24.99
  • S Video cable - EURO 16.99
About Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE), based in London, is responsible for the distribution, marketing and sales of PLAYSTATION 3, PlayStation 2 and PSP (PlayStation Portable) software and hardware in 102 territories across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Oceania. SCEE also develops, publishes, markets and distributes entertainment software for these formats, and manages the third party licensing programs for the formats in these territories. Between its European debut on 24th November 2000 and the end of September 2006, over 42 million PlayStation 2 consoles have been shipped across the SCEE territories, over 111 million worldwide, making it one of the most successful consumer electronic products in history. Between its European debut on 1st September 2005 and the end of September 2006, over 8 million PSP systems have been shipped across the SCEE territories, with over 22.9 million shipped worldwide since its Japanese launch in December 2004.

More information about PlayStation products can be found at http://www.playstation.com and http://www.yourpsp.com or visit the Virtual Press Office at http://www.scee.presscentre.com.

PlayStation, PSP and the PlayStation logo are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. UMD (Universal Media Disc) is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

FORMULA ONE, FORMULA 1, F1, FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, GRAND PRIX and translations thereof are trademarks of Formula One Licensing BV, a Formula One Group Company. Licensed by Formula One Administration Limited, a Formula One Group Company.

RIDGE RACER 7 © 2006 NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc. Published by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Developed by NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc. All rights reserved.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Wait, they are charging them the same that they are charging us here. That means, its more expensive over there for them. REally not fair. Im not sure, but 599.99 Euros is like 700 bucks or so here right?? Australia has to pay like 1000 dollars and that other country has to pay 1200?????

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
regardless of how good the ps3 is £425/€599 (approx usd$850) is an insult to the European gamers, to me this looks like an attempt by sony to try and recoup some of its losses by overcharging in Europe as per usual. Such a diffrence in price from the US launch certainly cannot be put down to taxes but on the brightside the import restrictions should be removed when the console is launched here so smarter people could be a cheaper import if the must have one of these right away, one thing is for certain though with prices like that sony are not doing themselves any PR favours and it may drive those people who waited so long out of loyalty to sony into opting for a cheaper xbox360 with games package and still have £100+ left over. With all the troubles sony has had with this console i still cannot see why sony is still trying to work the prestige angle with the ps3.

overcast

Processor AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7ghz Stock Voltage
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Cooling Stock Opteron
Memory OCZ PC4000 EB Platinum 2GB
Video Card(s) ATI X1900XTX
Storage 2 x Western Digital 74gb Raptors
Display(s) NEC 990B 19"
Case Antec P150
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic S12-500
Software XP 32bit
With the adoption rate of the Wii and the continued release of killer games for the 360. I can't see Europe doing much with this PS3 release, especially at THOSE prices.

Benpi

Processor AMD X2 4400+
Memory 2G
Video Card(s) 7950 GX2
Storage 2x 74g 10000rpm Raid:0
Display(s) Dell 1920x1200 widescreen
Software 3dmark06 score: 7650
With the adoption rate of the Wii and the continued release of killer games for the 360. I can't see Europe doing much with this PS3 release, especially at THOSE prices.

I've asked quite a few Europeans (over xbox live) what they think about the PS3 and how well it will do compared to the 360, and the response is always this ":wtf: :ohwell: '

Processor AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550M Mortar WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum SE 240mm
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 8GB
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB / ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB / Crucial MX500 1TB
Display(s) Dell U2715
Case Corsair 280X
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Ducky One2 Horizon
Software Windows 10 Professional
Benchmark Scores Cinemark r23 Multicore: 22280
as always we are overcharged compared to others, its an insult to all europeans...

all the big companies always bring stuff out late for us and charge much more than others even when you take off our taxes we still end up paying more...

Someone need to beat them with a nice pointy stick :D

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
I wanted to know, what is the Minimum Wage in Europe and Australasia ?

if there is like in the USA

Processor AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550M Mortar WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum SE 240mm
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 8GB
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB / ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB / Crucial MX500 1TB
Display(s) Dell U2715
Case Corsair 280X
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Ducky One2 Horizon
Software Windows 10 Professional
Benchmark Scores Cinemark r23 Multicore: 22280
I wanted to know, what is the Minimum Wage in Europe and Australasia ?

if there is like in the USA

Well I don't know about the other european counties but here in the UK min wage is £5.35 ($10.51) for people aged 22 and over, £4.45($8.74) for people aged 18-21, and £3.30($6.48) for people aged 16-17....

Most people I know get more that tjhat though even in bottom rung jobs, i'm 19 and operate a checkout at tesco, so my min wage is £4.45($8.74) but I make £6.00($11.78) an hour so not too bad just to get me through university lol

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
well thats was what I was trying to see cuz in the USA Minimum Wage is lower I think its going to be pushed up dont know when

well anyways thats why we pay less cuz your Minimum Wage is higher I think that has something to do with it :)

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
well thats was what I was trying to see cuz in the USA Minimum Wage is lower I think its going to be pushed up dont know when

well anyways thats why we pay less cuz your Minimum Wage is higher I think that has something to do with it :)

nope, fact is they just like to rip Europeans off, the last consoles were a few pounds higher due to a higher rate of tax but this new pricing scheme by sony for the PS3 is a slap in the face of the young kids that may have saved up all their pocket money for months for a ps3, their is no justification for such a price hike for Europeans and elsewhere.