• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSA: AMD's Graphics Driver will Eat One CPU Core when No Radeon Installed

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
While I was messing around with an older SSD test system (not benchmarking anything) I wondered why the machine's performance was SO sluggish with the NVIDIA card I just installed. Windows startup, desktop, Internet, everything in Windows would just be incredibly slow. This is an old dual-core machine, but it ran perfectly fine with the AMD Radeon card I used before.

At first I blamed NVIDIA, but when I opened Task Manager I noticed one of my cores sitting at 100%—that can't be right.

Digging a bit further into this, it looks like RadeonSettings.exe is using one processor core at maximum 100% CPU load. Ugh, but there is no AMD graphics card installed right now.

Once that process was terminated manually (right click, select "End task"), performance was restored to expected levels and CPU load was normal again. This confirms that the AMD driver is the reason for the high CPU load. Ideally, before changing graphics card, you should uninstall the current graphics card driver, change hardware, then install the new driver, in that order. But for a quick test that's not what most people do, and others are simply not aware of the fact that a thing called "graphics card driver" exists, and what it does. Windows is smart enough to not load any drivers for devices that aren't present physically.

Looks like AMD is doing things differently and just pre-loads Radeon Settings in the background every time your system is booted and a user logs in, no matter if AMD graphics hardware is installed or not. It would be trivial to add a check "If no AMD hardware found, then exit immediately", but ok. Also, do we really need six entries in Task Scheduler?

I got curious and wondered how it is possible in the first place that an utility software like the Radeon Settings control panel uses 100% CPU load constantly—something that might happen when a mining virus gets installed, to use your electricity to mine cryptocurrency, without you knowing. By the way, all this was verified to be happening on Radeon 20.11.2 WHQL driver, 20.11.3 Beta and the press driver for an upcoming Radeon review.

Unless you're a computer geek you'll probably want to skip over the following paragraphs, I still found the details interesting enough to share with you.

I attached my debugger, looked for the thread that's causing all the CPU load and found this:

Hard to read, translated it into C code it might make more sense:

If you're a programmer you'd have /facepalm'd by now, let me explain. In a multi-threaded program, Events are often used to synchronize concurrently running threads. Events are a core feature of the Windows operating system, once created, they can be set to "signaled", which will notify every other piece of code that is watching the status of this event—instantly and even across process boundaries. In this case the Radeon Settings program will wait for an event called "DVRReadyEvent" to get created, before it continues with initialization. This event gets created by a separate, independent, driver component, that's supposed to get loaded on startup, too, but apparently never does. The Task Scheduler entries in the screenshot above do show "StartDVR". The naming suggests it's related to the ReLive recording feature that lets you capture and stream gameplay. I guess that part of the driver does indeed check if Radeon hardware is present, and will not start otherwise. Since Windows has no WaitForEventToGetCreated() function, the usual approach is to try to open the event until it can be opened, at which point you know that it does exist.

You're probably asking now, "what if the event never gets created?" Exactly, your program will be hung, forever, caught in an infinite loop. The correct way to implement this code is to either set a time limit for how long the loop should run, or count the number of runs and give up after 100, 1000, 1 million, you pick a number—but it's important to set a reasonable limit.

A more subtle effect of this kind of busy waiting is that it will run as fast as the processor can, loading one core to 100%. While that might be desirable if you have to be able to react VERY quickly to something, there's no reason to do that here. The typical approach is to add a short bit of delay inside the loop, which tells the operating system and processor "hey, I'm waiting on something and don't need CPU time, you may run another application now or reduce power". Modern processors will adjust their frequency when lightly loaded, and even power down cores completely, to conserve energy and reduce heat output. Even a delay of one millisecond will make a huge difference here.

This is especially important during system startup, where a lot of things are happening at the same time, that need processor time to complete—it's why you feel you're waiting forever for your desktop to become usable when you start the computer. With Radeon Settings taking over one core completely, there's obviously less performance left for other startup programs to complete.

I did some quick and dirty performance testing in actual gameplay on a 8-core/16-thread CPU and found a small FPS loss, especially in CPU limited scenarios, around 1%, in the order of 150 FPS vs 151 FPS. This confirms that this can be an issue on modern systems, too, even though just 5% of CPU power is lost (one core out of 16). The differences will be minimal though, and it's unlikely you'll subjectively notice the difference.

Waiting on synchronization signals is very basic programming skills, most midterm students would be able to implement it correctly. That's why I'm so surprised to see such low quality code in a graphics driver component that get installed on hundreds of millions of computers. Modern software development techniques avoid these mistakes by code reviews—one or multiple colleagues read your source code and point out potential issues. There's also "unit testing", which requires developers to write testing code that's separate from the main code. These unit tests can then be executed automatically to measure "code coverage"—how many percent of the program code are verified to be correct through the use of unit tests. Let's just hope AMD fixes this bug, it should be trivial.

If you are affected by this issue, just uninstall the AMD driver from Windows Settings - Apps and Features. If that doesn't work, use DDU. It's not a big deal anyway, what's most important is that you are aware, in case your system feels sluggish after a graphics hardware change.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G27Q + AOC 19'
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11 x64
"RadeonSettings.exe" is Not a driver and it is the cached process. When a user starts the "RadeonSettings.exe" manually to change settings it speeds up loading of UI part of the software.

>>Looks like AMD is doing things differently and just pre-loads Radeon Settings in the background every time your system is
>>booted and a user logs in, no matter if AMD graphics hardware is installed or not. It would be trivial to add a check
>>"If no AMD hardware found, then exit immediately", but ok. Also, do we really need six entries in Task Scheduler?

It is a well known issue! AMD is one of the companies that secretly (!) creates an entry in Windows Task Scheduler to load "RadeonSettings.exe" every time a Windows OS starts. It actually violates your privacy.

A solution is very simple: Disable it in Windows Task Scheduler or delete. Personally, I disable it and check regularly that it is Not enabled again.

Last edited:
System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
God! The more I browse the internet the more I come to know that AMD software sucks.

I don't even run the driver installer. I just extract it (with 7-zip) and then point to that location in Device Manager.

But I don't need "Radeon Settings" anyway — the few tweaks that I might need to do (like custom refresh rate) can be done with other less intrusive software (CRU, for example).

Last edited:

SashoDeBoy

This thing happens for installed AMD video cards as well - same process hangs on a i5 6600K + RX470 and needs to be manually cancelled on startup or uses 25% productivity

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Mfw Wizzard uses Hex-Rays and is a total nerd like me
;)

I'm more of an IDA user than Hex-Rays, but yes. Back in the days reverse engineering was the only way to figure out how to make GPU-Z work. Nowadays most vendors have some kind of API, that's more of less useful. Still an extremely useful skill

Last edited:
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
do while loop looking for input. Lazy coding?

Who is writing RTG Graphics driver nowadays? I remember reading somewhere that almost all of Radeon's current driver at least coming from AMD Shanghai.

It could just be the inexperience of AMD China team that is causing so many problems like this.

OK found it, from one of AMD's Sr. Director of Software Engineering, Zhengsan Jian

So looks like AMD's GPU driver are Made in China after all. Damn

Author: Zhengsan Jian

Link: https://www.zhihu.com/question/24684566/answer/29352184 Source: Zhihu The copyright belongs to the author. For commercial reprints, please contact the author for authorization. For non-commercial reprints, please indicate the source.

I have been doing graphics driver development for many years at AMD. In fact, I came from ATI that year. AMD's shadow is almost invisible in the code. Most of the binary files are still ati*.dll. AMD is neither a large company nor a small company. There are many branches in the world. Basically, there are people in other continents except Africa and South America. Of course, the North/Arctic is not counted. In such an international company, the perceptions of people in different positions and departments must be quite different. My opinion is for your reference only. As far as the Shanghai R&D Center is concerned, from a technical point of view, GPU driver is very interesting work, anyway, I enjoy it. This is a very narrow field, and the learning curve is very steep. It usually recruits graduates of master's degree from prestigious schools. I have seen that I can't touch it after half a year. When writing an app, you can always Google some clues, but in the field of drivers, Google has no help. The driver works with the OS and requires high stability. It is often necessary to debug the kernel of the OS, and Microsoft bugs can be found from time to time. For those who like to deal with the bottom layer of the system and study a detail (such as the optimization of a structure initialization by the compiler) to the extreme, this is a very suitable field. And in Shanghai AMD GPU research and development work, there is almost no difference between China and the United States. Everyone works on the same source code server and can read all GPU hardware specs, except for some sensitive ones such as video encode/decode related Content, engineers here can see all the driver code. From an operational perspective, for a company with decades of history like AMD, the CEO is no longer the founder. Too many professional managers have the faults of most established companies: low process efficiency and a lot of people who eat too much. . Since Jobs released the iPhone in the mobile Internet revolution, many traditional established companies have had a hard time, including Microsoft, Intel, DELL, HP, SONY and other companies closely related to AMD. Naturally, AMD’s life is also very difficult. But as a technical engineer, the company's hard life does not mean that your life will be hard. As long as the salary can be paid, having an interesting and fulfilling job is actually good.

Another proof

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.expreview.com/32270.html

I wonder when did AMD out sourced their driver team out.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Or ...

Just remove the driver before changing the GPU ?

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
do while loop looking for input. Lazy coding?

Who is writing RTG Graphics driver nowadays? I remember reading somewhere that almost all of Radeon's current driver at least coming from AMD Shanghai.

It could just be the inexperience of AMD China team that is causing so many problems like this.

OK found it, from one of AMD's Sr. Director of Software Engineering, Zhengsan Jian

So looks like AMD's GPU driver are Made in China after all. Damn

Author: Zhengsan Jian

Link: https://www.zhihu.com/question/24684566/answer/29352184 Source: Zhihu The copyright belongs to the author. For commercial reprints, please contact the author for authorization. For non-commercial reprints, please indicate the source.

I have been doing graphics driver development for many years at AMD. In fact, I came from ATI that year. AMD's shadow is almost invisible in the code. Most of the binary files are still ati*.dll. AMD is neither a large company nor a small company. There are many branches in the world. Basically, there are people in other continents except Africa and South America. Of course, the North/Arctic is not counted. In such an international company, the perceptions of people in different positions and departments must be quite different. My opinion is for your reference only. As far as the Shanghai R&D Center is concerned, from a technical point of view, GPU driver is very interesting work, anyway, I enjoy it. This is a very narrow field, and the learning curve is very steep. It usually recruits graduates of master's degree from prestigious schools. I have seen that I can't touch it after half a year. When writing an app, you can always Google some clues, but in the field of drivers, Google has no help. The driver works with the OS and requires high stability. It is often necessary to debug the kernel of the OS, and Microsoft bugs can be found from time to time. For those who like to deal with the bottom layer of the system and study a detail (such as the optimization of a structure initialization by the compiler) to the extreme, this is a very suitable field. And in Shanghai AMD GPU research and development work, there is almost no difference between China and the United States. Everyone works on the same source code server and can read all GPU hardware specs, except for some sensitive ones such as video encode/decode related Content, engineers here can see all the driver code. From an operational perspective, for a company with decades of history like AMD, the CEO is no longer the founder. Too many professional managers have the faults of most established companies: low process efficiency and a lot of people who eat too much. . Since Jobs released the iPhone in the mobile Internet revolution, many traditional established companies have had a hard time, including Microsoft, Intel, DELL, HP, SONY and other companies closely related to AMD. Naturally, AMD’s life is also very difficult. But as a technical engineer, the company's hard life does not mean that your life will be hard. As long as the salary can be paid, having an interesting and fulfilling job is actually good.

Looks like lots of recruiting from AMD at Shanghai local University

https://www.1point3acres.com/bbs/thread-688652-1-1.html Another proof https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.expreview.com/32270.html I wonder when did AMD out sourced their driver team out.
WOW. So much effort just to say AMD bad, China bad. Try to keep it concise the next time please.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
WOW. So much effort just to say AMD bad, China bad. Try to keep it concise the next time please.

Inexperienced, not bad. The recent RTG driver has not been stellar which is exactly my point: inexperienced programmer paid a tiny amount of salary in a foreign country, most likely to save money for the corporate.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Or ...

Just remove the driver before changing the GPU ?
absolutely, yes. but if it happens to me, it can happen to others, too i would like to think

not at all, consider what they pulled off this year alone. beat intel, matched nvidia, beat nvidia energy efficiency. these are tremendous achievements

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
Inexperienced, not bad. The recent RTG driver has not been stellar which is exactly my point: inexperienced programmer paid a tiny amount of salary in a foreign country, most likely to save money for the corporate.
Maybe they can't find good graphics driver engineers in US/CA, they do not exactly grow on trees.

From my observation it's quite common to see around-driver software to misbehave when no related hardware is present.

I recall one serious bug in certain intel's package - when there was no related iGPU present, the dll that hooked to explorer.exe caused whole process to crash.
After the explorer crashed, the OS kept restarting the process just to let it crash again, and... you know what's next ;)

I've also seen nvidia's software hog the cpu when there's no card - mainly noticable as stutters during games.

Processor 11700
Motherboard TUF z590
Memory G.Skill 32gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) ROG Vega 56
Case Deepcool
Power Supply RM 850
Well i always DDU before changing the gpu but still a good find.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Maybe they can't find good graphics driver engineers in US/CA, they do not exactly grow on trees.

Cost saving is most likely the answer. AMD was short on cash before Zen. It works well for them to outsource driver R&D to country with way lower average wage and good educated workforce (India and China. Taiwan, SK or Japan are most likely just as expensive as here in US)

Reactions: Rei
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 6800 XT Speedster Merc 319 Black
Storage Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850B x 2 / ASUS MG278Q
Case be quiet! Silent Base 802
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7 / Sennheiser HD 660S
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64
Someone figured out that running a driver for incorrect hardware can be an issue.

System Name Fractal
Processor Intel Core i5 13600K
Motherboard Asus ProArt Z790 Creator WiFi
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 16GBx2 G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 (F5-6000J3040F16GX2-RS5K)
Video Card(s) PNY RTX A2000 6GB
Storage SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GK950F-B (34"/IPS/1440p/21:9/144Hz/FreeSync)
Case Fractal Design R6 Gunmetal Blackout w/ USB-C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless/Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1BT
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850w 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G700S
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows 11 Pro
So are you saying there's potentially millions of machines out there with one core at 100% load 24/7? I'll have to look at my kids i7 920/RX580 rig tonight. Losing 25% of his horsepower would be brutal.

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
Cost saving is most likely the answer. AMD was short on cash before Zen. It works well for them to outsource driver R&D to country with way lower average wage and good educated workforce (India and China. Taiwan, SK or Japan are most likely just as expensive as here in US)
Cost saving on something as important as graphics driver, i don't buy it. I maintain my position of them having hard time findng GPU driver engineers in US/Canada.

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
So, let me get it straight: You really expected corporate code monkeys to write a competent piece of software?
This strikes me as one of the "our software is too slow, we need to cache some things on system startup so the user will blame Microsoft" type of situations. Consequently, the most junior (so cheapest) intern is tasked with writing "the caching thing" in half a day and it "kinda, sorta maybe works most of the time usually" so everyone is happy.

This is more PEBKAC than anything else.
Forgetting to uninstall a whole driver suite after a hardware change, lead to problems?
Who would have thought?!?!

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
At first I blamed NVIDIA...
:roll:

Next feature in NVidia driver... detect unused AMD software.

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
I'm not a programmer my self, but from what i've read, i'd imagine GPU driver engineer have to understand the graphics architectures, low-level kernel stuff, APIs.
It seems like pretty specialized subject, not something for your average programmer. Nvidia probably hoard them all anyway.:p
Hence why i think finding good graphics programmers is not easy.