• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSAPI.DLL error on Windows 2000 SP4

dnoiz

Hi,

I tried ATItool 0.26 today and got the following error :

The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL.

In the FAQ I can read that this problem can occur in versions of Windows older then W2K. Am I doing something wrong ?

Thx.

aknot

re :pSAPI.DLL error on Windows 2000 SP4

hello,
The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileName in the Process Status Helper(psapi.dll) is only available in xp or w2k3 not in w2k. If u are running w2k and have this error with atitools 0.26, just copy and paste a w2k3 or wxp psapi.dll version in ur atitools directory .... i use xp version 5.1.2600.2180 ...
Bye

dnoiz

Hi,

Thx! I'll try to find such a DLL and let you know where I'm getting.

Grtz.

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
AKNOT's right, & psapi.dll has MANY build versions that differ over time & diff. OS' versions from MS... iirc, it didn't come "stock" as part of the OS in Windows 2000, until one of the service pack's for it came out!

It's funny, because Windows' "System/Windows File Protection" SHOULD be countering for it... but this is a case apparently, when it does not, properly.

I've seen it before myself.

You'll run into that every now & then... "DLL HELL", almost to a tee is being described here w/ your problem in fact.

His method of finding & using the version build of that DLL/library + placing it in %WinDir%\system32 will probably fix it in no time flat...

APK

P.S.=> What happens is, the functions being "exported" (made available) in PSAPI.DLL change a return data variable value type many times... OR, new functions are added in newer builds, & when a program goes to call them & they are JUST not there (function name) in an older build of a DLL (dynamic link library)?

It flips programs out... like you are seeing...

OR, if say a function returns integer data (1/0 success/failure values for example) in older builds, but for SOME reason in newer builds they change it to a BOOLEAN True/False value instead?

Function/Procedures/SubRoutines in the program itself get "hosed" expecting integer 1-0 values for success/failure, vs. boolean True/False they get back instead & that too, flips code out...

Which is WHY error trapping built by the coder to gracefully issue a warning message to a user, & close a program properly or whatever (resume next maybe) himself to counter for this ALWAYS SHOULD BE PRACTICED IN CODE, & IT'S NOT! apk

Last edited:

dnoiz

THX THX.

I placed a PSAPI.DLL from Windows XP Home SP2 in the ATItool directory and things work fine now.

:)

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
System Name W.I.P.
Sweet I am having this problem since I installed 2k a couple days ago. Mind if i ask where you downloaded that dll. I googled and found a couple of sites but I always try to be careful about malicious stuff. Thanx in advance.:toast:

dnoiz

* Good opening, since I see you are new here man... welcome to the forums!

Sweet I am having this problem since I installed 2k a couple days ago. Mind if i ask where you downloaded that dll. I googled and found a couple of sites but I always try to be careful about malicious stuff. Thanx in advance.:toast:

Got it from a MSDN DVD from work which had Windows XP Home SP2 and other things.

I also have Windows XP Pro SP2 (dutch) on my laptop from work, so that should be fine also. If you want I can provide you with the dll.

Cheers.

antipop

im also on win2000 SP4 and got the same problem. i could only find a psapi.dll 5.0.2134.1 with google. i put it into system32 and it doesnt work.

would be great if someone from win XP could mail me his psapi.dll

thanks in advance,

michael

EDIT:

it was late yesterday, i forgot my flat mate got win xp..

i got it workin now

Last edited:

MarcBomber

I have the same problem with the missing GetProcessImageFileNameW method in the PSAPI.DLL

Can someone please upload the right file on http://www.rapidshare.com/ and post the link here.

Thanks in advance!

MarcBomber

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
i attached it to this post so that you dont have to use gay rapidshare

Attachments

• psapi.dll
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,779
D

Deleted member 24505

thanks wizzard,i suppose i could have done it that way.

btw,why is rapidshare bad,and which is the best file host in your opinion?.

Last edited by a moderator:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
thanks wizzard,i suppose i could have done it that way.

btw,why is rapidshare bad,and which is the best file host in your opinion?.

rapidshare is one of the best free hosts. but free hosts have to have annoying ads and delays to be free .. 1 download in 24 hours? 60 seconds before download? go go sign up, give them some cash

gay /geɪ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[gey] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation adjective, -er, -est, noun, adverb
–adjective
1. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
2. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.
3. given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.
4. licentious; dissipated; wanton: The baron is a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies.

D

Deleted member 24505

i do have a rapid ac,i only pay for it a month at a time tho'(just in case of problems),i also use megaupload too(paid for too).

apart from all the un-spoken things people upload to them they are quite useful,and my isp allows rapid/mega coz the files are not pulicly accessable so it is not considered file sharing.in hull you can have your connection pulled for using bit torrent,and have to pay a fine to get it back on.