1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU Cable management replacement.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ferrum Master, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    Hi Mates!

I've got a vocation... and what a tech guy should do in that? Ok, I am constructing two audio amps, but that's a another story...

I've came up with an idea to replace all my wires for my PSU. I want a clean look. Sleeved type is a must have.

The problem number two... I have an Old Enermax Galaxy DDX II 1000W... And you know guys... I still love it, despite it is already 4 years old...(got for 80 pounds on ebay 3 years ago :rockout:) even the efficiency is still very solid viewing it in modern look. And I do not want another one :).

So where could I find new cables? What query I should use in ebay? I've searched these ones...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NZXT-CB-24P-250mm-Single-Sleeved-24-Pin-Extension-Cable-/280553948061?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item415251839d

Are they any good? And I still need many others for GFX cards... eight and six pin, and eight pin EPS. SATA and power cables are already sleeved few months ago :). And they should be within acceptable length to solder them in the place of the old cables.

Any suggestions where to dig? :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i personally would not hack into a psu to replace wires. i am positive it can be done safely but imo the chances of frying my machine would just be too great. then again, i don't have the greatest of confidence in my electrical skills. anything that can burn, fry or blow up i tend to be cautious around ;)

that said, look for replacements for modular cables. you can pick exactly what you want and they are regularly pre-sleeved.

3. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    Damn it... I am an electronics engineer... I can make a power supply of my own if I wish...

So any real suggestions where to look for spare parts?

digibucc says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    Other cheap power supplies on ebay? Maybe modfy 1 to your liking. What wrong with buying a new 1. We all have 2 eventually.

5. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    Is there a big reason to replace the cables instead of just sleeving the existing cables?

Are you specifically looking for a bigger gauge? More length?

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    The Reason one.

My power cables for GFX cards are very worn out, and needs replacement. Slightest touch sometimes and my GTXs shows red warning - power fault. After fiddling around, cleaning and reconnecting it solves everything for few weeks/months. But the metal coating inside the connector is worn off, it gets oxide and needs replacement this is life, nothing is eternal.

Reason two.

Actually my cable length is too long, Quite hard to hide also. And eventually I'll be opening up everything and changing cables because of the reason 1. So I am thinking to do it efficiently and replace all, as I need to replace some already, I would like to order more or less same looking ones. And will also measure up ESR for supply caps etc to prolong the life of this old trustful fighter... that's my personal stuff... the only thing that I can't get are those cables... And just prefer those sleeved ones, they look cool :D. So the work that I'll be devoting to it, will end up in more aesthetic result, you know what I mean. :rockout:

I have thought of buying a broken one... but on the other hand I'll get the problem number one again... and eventually I'll get greedy and repair that sucker and sell further... :D So I'll need some info on manufactured modular cables as replacement who has them, maybe I just need to ask around my local suppliers for each brand, then just cut the one end off and solder in the supply... it is easy as pie for me...

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    Ferrum Master says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master