• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU going down?

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro
Wha' up all you techlicious out there. This is ya boy Cvrk having some problems with the pc over here.
I think my psu is falling apart. I get sudden and often restarts. At first I thought it's because of viruses. After every sudden restart I did a full scan and I found some tojans in system volume. But now a days my pc is clane and that must have been like just a coincidence, cuz I still get the restarts out of the blue. :cry:
The really strange part is that I NEVEr get restarts when I'm gaming. The way I see it, a 3D environment graphics game is the most demanding application for a PC. If I can run for hours Crysis 2 at maximum without any problems, it sould be fine in all other non gaming aplications. But It's not :shadedshu .... I get sudden restarts most of the time when I'm browsing the web like 95% of the times reatrts ever happen and sometimes whne I'm doing some other aplciations. I also noticed It happens when I'm multitasking alot and my uTorrent is downloading at speeds over 3mb/s .....just keep in mind these are just some examples that I can give you guys so you can realise what I'm talking about.
Again, I find it very strange that I never get restarts doring games.
Here is my PC specs:
Motherboard ASRock M3N78D
CPU AMD Phenom II X4 840 Processor
4gb ram dd3 kingston
Seagate Barracuda 1 Tb 7200 RPM
Sapphire HD 5670 1GB
Creative Audigy 2
Tv Tunner Leadtech
dvd-rw pioneer
and my PSU is a.... Casecom 450W. But I think it's not the real deal, cuz the windows doesn't recognise it. On the Control Panel/ Power Options/ UPs / Manufacturer: (None)

So there it is . Do I need another PSU, if so...what kind do you recomand and what power? I was thinking to get a Corsair Gaming Series GS600W.
Also a quick question...If I get a more powerrfull PSU does that mean my computer will eat up more energy? Example: If I have a 600W or a 800W PSU and listen to music and work on a text editor in all this time will I get the same energy consumption,regardless of what psu I use.

Last edited:
System Name Old Damned Rigs!
Processor AMD Phenom X4 9850 BE 2.5GHz
Motherboard MSI K9A2-CF
Memory 2 x 2GB DDR2 PC8500
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce 9800GT
Storage Hitachi 250GB Sata-II
Display(s) Chimnei 22" LCD Wide
Case Powerlogic Modena GTX2500
Power Supply Amacrox Warrior 400w
Software Windows XP Professional SP3
Wha' up all you techlicious out there. This is ya boy Cvrk having some problems with the pc over here.
I think my psu is falling apart. I get sudden and often restarts. At first I thought it's because of viruses. After every sudden restart I did a full scan and I found some tojans in system volume. But now a days my pc is clane and that must have been like just a coincidence, cuz I still get the restarts out of the blue. :cry:
The really strange part is that I NEVEr get restarts when I'm gaming. The way I see it, a 3D environment graphics game is the most demanding application for a PC. If I can run for hours Crysis 2 at maximum without any problems, it sould be fine in all other non gaming aplications. But It's not :shadedshu .... I get sudden restarts most of the time when I'm browsing the web like 95% of the times reatrts ever happen and sometimes whne I'm doing some other aplciations. I also noticed It happens when I'm multitasking alot and my uTorrent is downloading at speeds over 3mb/s .....just keep in mind these are just some examples that I can give you guys so you can realise what I'm talking about.
Here is my PC specs:
Motherboard ASRock M3N78D
CPU AMD Phenom II X4 840 Processor
4gb ram dd3 kingston
Seagate Barracuda 1 Tb 7200 RPM
Sapphire HD 5670 1GB
Creative Audigy 2
Tv Tunner Leadtech
dvd-rw pioneer
and my PSU is a.... Casecom 450W. But I think it's not the real deal, cuz the windows doesn't recognise it. On the Control Panel/ Power Options/ UPs / Manufacturer: (None)

So there it is . Do I need another PSU, if so...what kind do you recomand and what power? I was thinking to get a Corsair Gaming Series GS600W.
Also a quick question...If I get a more powerrfull PSU does that mean my computer will eat up more energy? Example: If I have a 600W or a 800W PSU and listen to music and work on a text editor in all this time will I get the same energy consumption,regardless of what psu I use.

do windows recognize psu?? don't even think psu its not real deal, it's heart of your computer. if your heart have a problems, then all parts of your body will down one by one.

and it doesn't always mean if you have 800W psu it will suck 800w from your socket. it will depend how much load your psu will take, on daily basis like listening to music and writing a document, it will only take power not much than 200w depends on how much hardware on your rigs..

Last edited:

theorw

Processor C2D 8400@ 4,05GHz(currently)1,36v
Motherboard DFI LP x48 DK T2RS
Cooling XIGMATEK 1283 w/ bolt-thru kit/SCYTHE Mushashi x2
Memory Crucial BALLISTIX 6400 @900MHz 2,00v
Video Card(s) HD 5770 1040/1400 unlocked/musashi
Storage SG 120GB+WD 160GB
Display(s) 24" FLATRON W2442PA Full HD
Case COOLERMASTER HAF 932
Power Supply Thermaltake PUREPOWER RX 600
Software Vista ultimate SP1
Benchmark Scores VANTAGE:11700 3DMARKO06:18600 FURMARK:9K

I think your problem is network related.I dont have much experience on programming etc but i can confirm that if you tress the PSU so hard like gaming for long time and you have no problems but you have in almost no load in surfing and d/l ing then its prolly software related.Or even your network card might be malfunctioning.Try updating all the drivers in your system:)
I dont know if it fixes it but as an electrology engineer (student) if the PSU is stable at heavy games then failing at surfing would be really hard to believe:)

Side Effect

It could be flash player related? A friend of mine upgraded to flash player 10 on XP and his PC constantly crashed on youtube and sites alike.

Try downgrading to flash 9 and see if it helps. My 2 cents :)

All the best with your problem.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Software Windows 10 Pro
Sife Effect....yeah I will try downgrading my flash player.
And yes it never crashes on full load gaming.
Man It's a bummer. I wil see whant happends next. will keep in touch.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Software Windows 10 Pro
same thing

Nope I downgraded my flash player.Same thing. I still get restarts. And I am almoust 99% sure that my PSU is fine, from what this guy told me.
"The problem sounds like its related to the HDD, overheating, or virus/malware.

5670= like 60W at 100% load
your processor has a 95W TDP, (meaning 100% = 95W)
hdd are like 10W
optical drive while in use are like 30W
fans are like 3-5W each
ram are like 2W/stick
motherboard is like 30W

So at 100% system load while using your dvd drive, you system will pull probably around 250-300W. So your PSU is fine.
PSU hit peak efficiency when at 40-60% load. (275W is 61% of a 450W psu) so you are about right on with PSU wattage for your system. So you will get the least amount of power wasted in that 40-60% area, meaning less on your electric bill.
Going way over on wattage isnt too good, not only are you wasting money on the actual PSU, it will make your PSu at like 10-20% load constantly, which wont be peak power efficiency
."

I just formated my hole hard drive, reinstaled windows, new drivers etc. I still get restarts when I am downloading at high speeds, more then 3mb/s .
I will try if maybe the uTorrent I am using maybe the problem. I will get a old version.
Alsow,at the speed of 5mb/s download my HDD temperature is about 38 degrees celsius. And I dont think that it's too much.
Anybody have more ideas?

System Name Acer Aspire V3-771G-53218G75Maii
Processor Core i5 3210M (2,5-3,1Ghz)
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Geforce GT650M
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - 750GB Toshiba drive
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (non-acer-bloatware)
But I think it's not the real deal, cuz the windows doesn't recognise it. On the Control Panel/ Power Options/ UPs / Manufacturer: (None)

Just to clarify: that Control Panel option is for a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), which is something different than a PSU (Power Supply Unit).

See Wikipedia for an explanation.

EDIT: also, after reading your last post, I would suggest to scan your hard disks for bad sectors. Something like HDTune might be able to help you out there.

bokou

System Name The Beast 2
Processor AMD Phenom II 965 OC'd: 3.9ghz
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G-Skill Ripjaw DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 6970
Storage WDl 7200rpm 500gb
Display(s) Acer 21" LCD, Westinghouse 21" LCD
Case Coolermaster HAF932
Audio Device(s) On-board 7.1 SupremeFX
Power Supply Xion 800w Modular
Software Windows 7, Steam, BFBC2, TF2, Adobe CS5
Benchmark Scores 20k+ on 3dMark06, will have to look at exact number
that and if you're getting the "windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown" thing - go into your Windows Event Viewer and see what the last problem that came up before it shut down was.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Software Windows 10 Pro
I did a scan with HDTune, it found no bad sectors.
There is no message after sudden restart. And I check'd the logs and there was nothing bad there.
Pls don't close this thread. I will come back with more news.

System Name "That computer next to my desk"
Processor Intel Core i5 - 12600K
Motherboard Asus Prime Z690-P WIFI D4
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX PC3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070
Storage Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe 1TB + 2TB Seagate SSHD + 4TB External Seagate HDD
Display(s) BenQ RL2755HM 27"
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Audio Device(s) On board codec
Power Supply Corsair RM650i
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei Raw
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 350
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores The scouter says it's over 9000
It looks like a very cheap PSU, and from what I can tell from the pictures I found, it's not very capable with only 14A (168W) on the 12V rail. That actually makes it not a 450W, but more like a 200W PSU. Since there are no laws or rules for how a manufacturer can rate their PSU, they can pretty much take a bad PSU and put whatever wattage they like on it. I've seen "1000W" PSUs that blow up even before they reach 500W.

I second the low grade PSU.

I would guess that the PSU is actually incapable of powering your computer whenever the power demand spikes. Here is the logic:

Disk drives park and spin down whenever they are not being used. Basically, the system putting components to sleep saves power. Whenever they need to be woken up they take more power than when they are operational. You may only draw 300W when running everything, but waking everything up may well spike the system to 350 or even 400 watts (under non-ideal conditions). The power supply you specify is just this side of absolute crap. MTBF of 10,000 hours (2 years if you ran it 20 hrs/day for 250/365 days a year) is treading water on the very cheap end of things, even given the rated wattage.

Browsing is not process intensive, and so the system will start saving power. Your system will then crash whenever resources need to be woken up. This means games will run fine because they do not let anything sleep. Browsing and word processing will eventually crash the system because any spike in resource demand will overload the PSU.

In order to test this theory disable the paging file on your computer. Run the browser as you normally would, without saving anything to the hard drive. It should operate without issues (no paging file-> minimal HDD writes and reads, assuming not a lot of temporary files are being created). Once the paging file is re-enabled the instability should return. Alternatively, measure the actual voltage going to your HDD or fans. The power supply should produce a rather substantial flux (not constant 12 volt).

As others have stated, a substandard PSU is a foolish expense. If you spend more on a decent hard drive than your PSU (barring SSD) your priorities are really in the wrong place. Given the prices I found on the PSU (sub $30 in some places), you're really not purchasing a PSU that is reasonable. An investment of approximately $50 would likely purchase a name brand (Corsair being the one that comes to mind, though there are others) PSU that you can be assured will actually deliver the rated power.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Shitty power supply does not explain the symptoms though, because the computer should crap out during gaming. Take a look at everything inside and make sure everything is fine?

That said though, when my old psu was about to crap out, it took out the network cards first, and then died after that. Luckily it didnt kill everything else.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
wtf is a casecom ??
I would start with the psu test it with a mulit meter or in a known stable system

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
I second the low grade PSU.

I would guess that the PSU is actually incapable of powering your computer whenever the power demand spikes. Here is the logic:

Disk drives park and spin down whenever they are not being used. Basically, the system putting components to sleep saves power. Whenever they need to be woken up they take more power than when they are operational. You may only draw 300W when running everything, but waking everything up may well spike the system to 350 or even 400 watts (under non-ideal conditions). The power supply you specify is just this side of absolute crap. MTBF of 10,000 hours (2 years if you ran it 20 hrs/day for 250/365 days a year) is treading water on the very cheap end of things, even given the rated wattage.

Browsing is not process intensive, and so the system will start saving power. Your system will then crash whenever resources need to be woken up. This means games will run fine because they do not let anything sleep. Browsing and word processing will eventually crash the system because any spike in resource demand will overload the PSU.

In order to test this theory disable the paging file on your computer. Run the browser as you normally would, without saving anything to the hard drive. It should operate without issues (no paging file-> minimal HDD writes and reads, assuming not a lot of temporary files are being created). Once the paging file is re-enabled the instability should return. Alternatively, measure the actual voltage going to your HDD or fans. The power supply should produce a rather substantial flux (not constant 12 volt).

As others have stated, a substandard PSU is a foolish expense. If you spend more on a decent hard drive than your PSU (barring SSD) your priorities are really in the wrong place. Given the prices I found on the PSU (sub $30 in some places), you're really not purchasing a PSU that is reasonable. An investment of approximately $50 would likely purchase a name brand (Corsair being the one that comes to mind, though there are others) PSU that you can be assured will actually deliver the rated power.
lolno

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Shitty power supply does not explain the symptoms though, because the computer should crap out during gaming. Take a look at everything inside and make sure everything is fine?

That said though, when my old psu was about to crap out, it took out the network cards first, and then died after that. Luckily it didnt kill everything else.

o_O
yes it does

Fourstaff

Staff member
Cooling Stock // Stock

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15

Perhaps you are seeing something I am missing? As I view it, the problem is hard accessing of the hard drive and networking resources. Both power spike during intensive usage, and would cause failure if the overcurrent protection (generally a thermocouple on cheap PSUs) kicked in.

Gaming would not utilize insane amounts of power, given the components cited would draw a continuous power level. I view this as a question of peak power draw (highest when waking components and using parts that spike in power while active) versus average power draw. Gaming draws more power on average, but will not pull an extremely high peak. The failure situation, as described, seems to be a failure when peak power is drawn. Given that the HDD and OS have checked out, the next cheapest component to verify is the PSU.

Barring voltage testing, the fastest way to test the thing (assuming no testing equipment) is with a good PSU. It may not me ethical, but getting a PSU to test the system is easy; walk into a technology store with a decent return policy, purchase a respectable 450W PSU, test out the system, if it solves the problem return it and get something in your price range, if the problem isn't solved return the PSU and tell them it caused system instability (you're going to try a higher wattage PSU). Again, ethics here are murky at best. Given you'll pay a premium at a brick-and-mortar store, the ethics seem somewhat less complex to me...

That said, there is little else that can be done to the system if it isn't the PSU. I would presume that the memory has been tested, the BIOS is up to date, and all drivers are current. If that were not the case any tech worth a damn would start checking there (I hope I'm not proven wrong...).

My insight is not perfect, so if I'm missing something please tell me. I'm going with what I've observed personally on cheap PSUs. Partial failure like this is a sign that the overload may soon trip permanantly (cheap PSUs tend to degrade quickly once any problems arise). While it doesn't slag the system, it is an annoyance that can be avoided.

Fourstaff

Staff member
Cooling Stock // Stock
Because it doesn't matter if its under-load

Random shutdowns only occur when there is underloading, not when fully loaded, if we discount the underloaded, then the PSU is fine :confused:

Edit: lilhasselhoffer, I think you might be right about the peak draw problem.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
I don't trust non-name brand psu's as far as I can throw them
and given how much the cheapons weight I could probly throw that one a good 40ft

Fourstaff

Staff member
Cooling Stock // Stock
I don't trust non-name brand psu's as far as I can throw them
and given how much the cheapons weight I could probly throw that one a good 40ft

Still does not explain your position. A car able to do 60mph should be able to do 30mph. If you have the same idea as lilhasselhoffer, then I wouldn't bug you anymore ;)

OK, I'm part of a crowd arguing something I am only conjecturing at.

Rather than become a troll, I will seceed any claims to knowing anything worthwhile about your system. It's not like anyone versed in simple mechanical engineering (yes, I am) could tell you an HDD is a motor, which takes little power to keep spinning when it reaches running velocity. They couldn't tell you that speeding up an electric motor requires several times the amperage required during operation. None of this would make any sense...

I will not apologize for that bit of snarkiness. It is simple fact.

I submit to the fact that the system is under load in both cases. I even agree that the "under-loaded" situation has less average draw. Utorrent must continuously access the HDD to keep it awake...assuming your torrenting program works completely different from the majority of them out there. Otherwise it will only write to the HDD when new pieces are available.

Browsing the internet is extremely data intensive. I mean, it's not like a cellular phone that barely competes with my calculator's power can access the web. The phones that currently access the web require at least 800 GB of storage attached and six phones to be linked to get a 1200 Baud rate.

Wow, I'm dating myself with the baud rate. Really a joke for the people who started on old token ring networks.

Yes, I admit that I can't see the problems with my own two eyes. I may be barking up the wrong tree. What I submit to you is Occam's razor. The simplest explaination is usually the correct one. Failing system during power requirement spikes, but stability during sustained high draw, is indicative of a low ceiling. Cheap power supplies generally do exactly that, assuming windows hasn't decided to jump the shark. There are other, more complex, answers that could solve the problem. This may be the time that Occam gives in. I would not bet on it if it was my rig, given that a $30 PSU can cost $400 in fried components if it decides to power spike your system before dying.

Edit: Sorry, I have entered trolling. My apologies if I have offended anyone. I will not post anything else in this thread unless specifically asked. Again, my apologies for letting my idiot side rule over reason.

Last edited:

Fourstaff

Staff member
Cooling Stock // Stock
lilhasselhoffer, no one is arguing against you :)

There is something called "transient test" or something like that which describes what you are explaining, and based on TPU's charts and crmaris's reviews, even supposedly high end models fail at the test, so I think you are barking up the right tree.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Still does not explain your position. A car able to do 60mph should be able to do 30mph. If you have the same idea as lilhasselhoffer, then I wouldn't bug you anymore ;)

bad analogy
a engine might have low oil pressure at lower rpm
a transmission might have a problem with first or second gear
the car might have a vibration at highway speed but be ok at non highway speed

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
back on topic anyway can you post a screenshot of HWmontior or speed fan showing the voltage's its reporting