• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU trouble

• Thread starter Deleted member 211755
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 211755

@Chrispy_ Yeah, probably bad contact on the motherboard. Yes, it's good to have documentation of the events. I usually write stuff down after I fix somebodies PC.
Already helped me a few times. Thanks for the support :)

@eidairaman1 I did not notice any dust in it, but you may as well be right. It probably was a bad contact, although I cannot understand why reseating the graphics card first two times didn't help.
I did notice that at one end of the PCIe x16 slot (side where you mount the screw) was higher then the one where you lock it down because of the way my case was designed.
I really had to push it a little stronger and screw it tighter so it could fit.
That's why I think it was bad contact.
My regular date for cleaning in near so I will take out the GPU and clean the PCIe slot with a can of compressed air just in case it was a little dust left in there.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
@Chrispy_ Yeah, probably bad contact on the motherboard. Yes, it's good to have documentation of the events. I usually write stuff down after I fix somebodies PC.
Already helped me a few times. Thanks for the support :)

@eidairaman1 I did not notice any dust in it, but you may as well be right. It probably was a bad contact, although I cannot understand why reseating the graphics card first two times didn't help.
I did notice that at one end of the PCIe x16 slot (side where you mount the screw) was higher then the one where you lock it down because of the way my case was designed.
I really had to push it a little stronger and screw it tighter so it could fit.
That's why I think it was bad contact.
My regular date for cleaning in near so I will take out the GPU and clean the PCIe slot with a can of compressed air just in case it was a little dust left in there.

It was seated crooked, that will cause cards to not initiate on an agp system even

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I tend to use silicone oil (sparingly) on contacts, although it is not good for high current switches as the sparks produce glass.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 211755

@eidairaman1 It looks like it, yes. And the card is pretty heavy. If it was screwed a bit loose last time I cleaned my PC maybe gravity took it out of the slot over time :p
@Andy Shiekh I always use a can of compressed air as it somehow is the most safest way to clean. It is a great way to get that dust off the components.
Now I have 6 ventilators with the new Artic ones so more dust will be present. I will have to clean it more regularly now then ever before.

System Name Office / HP Prodesk 490 G3 MT (ex-office)
Processor Intel 13700 (90° limit) / Intel i7-6700
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming H770 Pro / HP 805F H170
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S / Stock
Memory G. Skill Trident XMP 2x16gb DDR5 6400MHz cl32 / Samsung 2x8gb 2133MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060 Ti Dual OC GDDR6X / Zotac GTX 1650 GDDR6 OC
Storage Samsung 2tb 980 PRO MZ / Samsung SSD 1TB 860 EVO + WD blue HDD 1TB (WD10EZEX)
Display(s) Eizo FlexScan EV2455 - 1920x1200 / Panasonic TX-32LS490E 32'' LED 1920x1080
Case Nanoxia Deep Silence 8 Pro / HP microtower
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX750 / OEM 300W bronze
Mouse MS cheap wired / Logitech cheap wired m90
Keyboard MS cheap wired / HP cheap wired
Software W11 / W7 Pro ->10 Pro
Is it possible to use another connector on PSU for your GPU?

Never mind, I didn’t read all the comments.

Last edited:
Memory 16GB DDR3
I always use a can of compressed air as it somehow is the most safest way to clean. It is a great way to get that dust off the components.

I find canned 'air' rather expensive, and use a DataVac instead

Attachments

• DataVac.jpg
    DataVac.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
For future reference, I have an idea what might have caused the issue, as I had a very similar problem with my 3080 Ventus just a few days ago. MSI, and I'm sure other manufacturers do it too, uses horrible, low quality thermal pads - I think they're called oil pads by some people, because they get oily over time. My card had actual oil droplets going into the PCI-e slot - I use a testbench so it stands vertically on the motherboard - which caused all kinds of weird behavior, including fans ramping to 100%, clocks dropping to near idle and such. I took it out, cleaned what I could reach with isopropyl alcohol, it's now working perfectly fine and new thermal pads are in the mail. Simply reseating the card before I noticed the oil didn't work, I guess the oil might have created some sort of a thin film on the contacts.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I use an air compressor, never killed anything

Memory 16GB DDR3
I guess the oil might have created some sort of a thin film on the contacts.

Actually that was probably not the problem as silicone oil is used on electric contacts and the electricity quantum tunnels across a thin film.

D

Deleted member 211755

For future reference, I have an idea what might have caused the issue, as I had a very similar problem with my 3080 Ventus just a few days ago. MSI, and I'm sure other manufacturers do it too, uses horrible, low quality thermal pads - I think they're called oil pads by some people, because they get oily over time. My card had actual oil droplets going into the PCI-e slot - I use a testbench so it stands vertically on the motherboard - which caused all kinds of weird behavior, including fans ramping to 100%, clocks dropping to near idle and such. I took it out, cleaned what I could reach with isopropyl alcohol, it's now working perfectly fine and new thermal pads are in the mail. Simply reseating the card before I noticed the oil didn't work, I guess the oil might have created some sort of a thin film on the contacts.
Interesting. GPUs are so expensive, I don't understand why they use that approach other then to cut down the manufacturing price...
I will check if something similar happened to my PC. If it did, should be clear to see.
At first I thought all of this was caused by a bad PSU as it started breaking down at the same time as the GPU started acting all wierd
but when I received a new one from the repairs the GPU continued to ramp up fans and drop performance so I thought the GPU itself was bad.
I tried a lot of things before sending it to repairs but nothing helped and after I got it back I did those 6 things and I think seating the graphics card more firmly and screwing it in more tightly helped.

I know it maybe seems quite a stretch, but could it be a bad HDMI cable was responsible? I replaced it too.
Maybe I could connect the old one. Try to reproduce the problem. But I like it how it works now so maybe leave it alone haha :p

I use an air compressor, never killed anything
That's a good way to clean your PC if it is strong enough air compressor.
I have one too, but it is so weak it can't get off any dust so I buy a can of compressed air.
Could look into a more durable way of cleaning as those cans don't last long.

@Andy Shiekh That DataVec could be the way to go :)

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name EventHorizon
Processor Intel® Core™ Processor i9-13900KF 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P
Cooling CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB)
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB
Storage 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/110
Display(s) LG 34''
Case CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix w/Alan Finote mod for Windows 11
Power Supply High Power 1300W 80+ GOLD Full Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600 wired
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL red Switch
Software Win 11 Pro
I find canned 'air' rather expensive, and use a DataVac instead
I have had one of these for over 10 years. It's loud but it works well.

And to others that do not own one, it's NOT a vacuum.