• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU works, but wont power for test

Jaywray

Hey guys so I'm currently building my new gaming rig (well.. first gaming rig)
And when I've watched building videos etc people seem to test the system when its not in the case to make sure things work before installing everything into the case, my problem seems to be, the PSU is working fine when I do the paperclip test, but not when it's plugged into the motherboard/gaphics card etc, my motherboard is the asus Z77 extreme 6 and the power supply is the Corsaid GS700 Uk, am I missing something here?

The ram is in, the processor is in, the Graphics card (7850) is in, but it just won't boot, earlier I flicked the switch and it went on for a second, then stopped, anyone have any ideas? :/

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Quick on-off is usually an electrical short/bad component, or lack of 8-pin EPS plug connected.

Or, CPU is not mounted correctly.

Jaywray

Quick on-off is usually an electrical short/bad component, or lack of 8-pin EPS plug connected.

8pin eps is connected, also would that be a problem with the board or the psu?

Ill remount the CPU now, does it matter if the fan is connected (Mine currently isn't)

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
does it matter if the fan is connected

Shouldn't, boards that run water cooling don't typically have a fan plugged in there;)

Jaywray

Could the fact I'm using a i5 2500k on a Z77 board be causing it? I know they're backwards compatible and all but still :/

cadaveca

My name is Dave
No, shouldn't be any issues like that, all current SKT1155 CPUs shoudl eb supproted wit hteh shipping BIOS.

Look for shorts with board and case, re-seat videocards and ram. It is possible that the combination of PCIE GPU, PCIe 3.0 board, but PCIe 2.0 CPU is part of it, I guess, although that'd be my last choice. You coudl try removing the add-in VGA, plugging monitor into the board itself, clearing CMOS, and seeing what happens...

DO you get any display on teh POST reader under the chipset cooler?

Processor Phenom II 955 @ 3955Mhz 1.45v
Motherboard ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 push-pull /2x140mm + 2x230mm + 2x120mm = super noisy computer
Memory 4x2Gb Kingston DDR3-1333 8-8-8-22 @ 1527Mhz
Video Card(s) Crossfire 2x Sapphire Radeon 6850 @ 850/1200
Storage 320Gb Western Digital WD3200AAJS
Display(s) Samsung 23" 1920x1080
Case Azza Solano 1000R Full-Tower
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S (integrated) + quadraphonic speakers
Power Supply CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus 700w
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please, don't start double posting... use the edit button to add info/questions/etc. Thanks.

Check all the power connections again.
Un-plug anything not needed, like dvd/cd players, hubs, docks, etc.
Try with one stick of ram (swap them and try again)
Check your cpu is properly mounted and inserted. (make sure it has the cooler/HS in place! And, any plastic covering has been removed.)
Reset the bios(manual should have the instructions)
If, you are testing outside the case, make sure it is not on anything conductive.
If, you have installed it; did you use standoffs under the motherboard?
If, you have a motherboard speaker and a place on the motherboard for it's connection... try it and count any error beeps.

If you can gain access to another PSU, you might want to try it.
The paper clip test alone just shows the power up signal is working and the psu fan spins...
you need to test the PSU outputs with a meter or a load (fan, light (like and led setup),etc.).
A meter is usually available everywhere for a little money. Radio Shacks, Sears, Home Depots, Lowes, Best Buy, Harbor Freight, Northern, K-Mart, Big Lots, etc.

EDIT:
List all your specs and any thing you have plugged in the system when you are trying it.

Jaywray

No, shouldn't be any issues like that, all current SKT1155 CPUs shoudl eb supproted wit hteh shipping BIOS.

Look for shorts with board and case, re-seat videocards and ram. It is possible that the combination of PCIE GPU, PCIe 3.0 board, but PCIe 2.0 CPU is part of it, I guess, although that'd be my last choice. You coudl try removing the add-in VGA, plugging monitor into the board itself, clearing CMOS, and seeing what happens...

DO you get any display on teh POST reader under the chipset cooler?

How do I check for shorts when the mobo wont power? like, I mean it wont power at all, anything, I switched the ram, no change, tried switching pci ports, no change, but! I didn't try the bios thing, ill try that.

What is the post reader under the chipset cooler? :/

Please, don't start double posting... use the edit button to add info/questions/etc. Thanks.

Check all the power connections again.
Un-plug anything not needed, like dvd/cd players, hubs, docks, etc.
Try with one stick of ram (swap them and try again)
Check your cpu is properly mounted and inserted. (make sure it has the cooler/HS in place! And, any plastic covering has been removed.)
Reset the bios(manual should have the instructions)
If, you are testing outside the case, make sure it is not on anything conductive.
If, you have installed it; did you use standoffs under the motherboard?
If, you have a motherboard speaker and a place on the motherboard for it's connection... try it and count any error beeps.

If you can gain access to another PSU, you might want to try it.
The paper clip test alone just shows the power up signal is working and the psu fan spins...
you need to test the PSU outputs with a meter or a load (fan, light (like and led setup),etc.).
A meter is usually available everywhere for a little money. Radio Shacks, Sears, Home Depots, Lowes, Best Buy, Harbor Freight, Northern, K-Mart, Big Lots, etc.

EDIT:
List all your specs and any thing you have plugged in the system when you are trying it.

Thanks

Sorry about the double post!

Nothing except the Graphics card and Motherboard have anything plugged into it, I am testing outside of the case as I said I was testing it before putting it into the case incase anything was wrong.
Cpu has been remounted twice now, checked all the pins with a mag glass and none are bent or anything like that, but you say I should have the Heat sink in place? Will that make a difference?

Gona try resetting the Bios but how can I do that when no power seems to get getting to the board?
I cut open a large card board box and put it on a layer over the table so there's nothing conductive and I've been grounding myself every 3 minutes with a timer :/

Unfortunately I don't have a meter at the moment, but if it makes a difference sometimes when it's turned on it'll go for 2-3 secs and power the GPU and light the board for a blink of an eye then stops.

Specs =
As Rock Z77 extreme 6
Asus 7850 GPU
I5 2500k
G.skill Ram 8gb 2 sets of 4gb
PSU Is the corsair GS700W Gamer series.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
There is a dual-digit LED display located under the chipset cooler that shows 2-number codes as the board boots. If no codes are displayed, there is a short, or the board is bad. Pretty much anything else, and there will be at least one code shown.

atlblackops

Sounds like you have a short somewhere.

To rule it out, start with 1 component at a time:
  • Motherboard
  • 1 stick RAM
  • Video Card
  • addition pci cards
  • additional Dimms

Jaywray

There is a dual-digit LED display located under the chipset cooler that shows 2-number codes as the board boots. If no codes are displayed, there is a short, or the board is bad. Pretty much anything else, and there will be at least one code shown.

There is a small 2 digit LED light doctor thing on the board, unfortunately it's no help since I can't get any power to it! /:

Sounds like you have a short somewhere.

To rule it out, start with 1 component at a time:
  • Motherboard
  • 1 stick RAM
  • Video Card
  • addition pci cards
  • additional Dimms

Unfortunately already tried that ): Is a short the problem of the motherboard or the PSU?

Will fit it now and see.

Also thanks for the getup compliment ^^' If I can get it to work that is! haha :)

Bare with me here folks! might take me a bit of time to install the heatsink (big ass noctua haha) back soon!

Last edited:

atlblackops

If the motherboard on a test bed or actually in the case? It could be a short caused by a grounding issue.

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
Are you sure your board is an Asus Z77 Extreme 6? I think it's an ASRock. Reconnect the 24 pin power to the mobo and the 8 pin CPU power. Connect power to your video card. There is a start button on the mobo. Switch your PSU to on and push the start button.

Jaywray

If the motherboard on a test bed or actually in the case? It could be a short caused by a grounding issue.

It's on a table with a thick layer of cardboard between it and the table, and I've been grounding every 3 mins :/

Are you sure your board is an Asus Z77 Extreme 6? I think it's an ASRock. Reconnect the 24 pin power to the mobo and the 8 pin CPU power. Connect power to your video card. There is a start button on the mobo. Switch your PSU to on and push the start button.

You re indeed correct sir, My mistake typing asus haha, yeah there is a power button but it doesn't seem to be doing anything since the psu doesn't seem to want to give it any juice!

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is the Model/Part numbers on your memory?

Are you trying it with just one stick in A1 or B1 then A2 or B2?
And, swap the sticks.

Jaywray

What is the Model/Part numbers on your memory?

Are you trying it with just one stick in A1 or B1 then A2 or B2?
And, swap the sticks.

Please don't take this the wrong way! But what do the Ram sticks have to do with powering the board? (not saying you're wrong I'm just curious as I'm new to this.

Also the frigging heatsink wont even work now ether )): the brackets wont fit with the spacers on :banghead::banghead:

^ Never mind got the heat sink, just can't put it on a certain way, there's a gold cylinder blocking horizontal alignment on the board though from what I can tell.

the heatsink is now on, thermal paste and all, went well.
Although, no change ):

Last edited:

Jaywray

IT'S WORKING, big thank you guys! No idea how, but when I plugged in the fan the whole thing just started up and running! Although I do have to hold the motherboards power button at the same time as I flick the switch, although it does that Start and stopping thing without the heatsink still.
Not gona lie guys, when it all came alive I was near jumping around shouting "IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIIIVE!"

Haha :)

But quick question, em... the power and reset buttons on my haf 922 case will take care of the holding in the power on the mobo thing right?

Once again cheers haha, I wouldn't have thought to put the heatsink on first otherwise ^^'

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
Yes! Do you have the HSF mounted on the CPU? Don't try anything without that being properly mounted. Put the mobo in the case and be careful to use the standoffs. Read your mobo manual to see where and how to connect power/reset/HDD activity plugs from your case. Good luck and come back here if you have any problems.

Jaywray

Yes! Do you have the HSF mounted on the CPU? Don't try anything without that being properly mounted. Put the mobo in the case and be careful to use the standoffs. Read your mobo manual to see where and how to connect power/reset/HDD activity plugs from your case. Good luck and come back here if you have any problems.

Was a long night, but everything's up and ready :) need to upload windows 7 and that's me, although the keyboard still hasn't arrived yet, which is driving me crazy because it's the only thing that was ordered first class haha!