• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

QNAP Releases Turbo NAS TS-x21 and TS-x20 Series for Home Users

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
QNAP Systems, Inc. today announced the release of the Turbo NAS TS-x21 and TS-x20 series for home users and home offices. The new models in the TS-x21 series are equipped with 2.0 GHz CPU, 1GB DDR3 RAM, and the TS-x20 series with 1.6 GHz CPU, 512MB DDR3 RAM. Both series deliver superior performance for daily routines in file storage, sharing, and data backup, and serve as ideal media centers for storing and sharing huge multimedia files.

The TS-x21 and TS-x20 series feature the brand-new Turbo NAS operating system QTS 4.0. The new QTS 4.0 integrates multi-window operations into the web-based user interface, adds cross-device file synchronization, several smart mobile apps, and more. In an era where almost everyone has at lease one mobile phone or tablet device, the QTS 4.0 fulfills people's needs of mobile data access and synchronization, and storage for huge quantities of data. What's more, the QTS 4.0's multi-window user interface introduces users to an unprecedented NAS management experience. In addition, the multimedia applications and multi-tasking designs not only increase management efficiency but also transform home entertainment.

"The QTS 4.0 is a major evolution of QNAP's software design," commented Meiji Chang, general manager of QNAP. "It aims to reverse home users' typical impressions towards the networked appliances as being complex and hard to use. The QTS 4.0 integrates Turbo NAS hardware design and features multi-window intelligence and smart mobile apps, making home digital data storing and management easier and multimedia entertainment more fun."

Multi-window operations
The QTS 4.0 offers innovative desktop design to compliment smooth working efficiency. The multi-window design allows multi-tasking concurrently, and enables users to switch between each task to increase productivity. The QTS 4.0 intelligent desktop also includes a quick Start menu to quickly find desired applications, smart Dashboard with overview of system status, drag-and-drop icons to create desktop shortcuts or group shortcuts, multiple desktop to extend desktop work space, the smart Toolbar, and so on.

Cross-device file synchronization
Nowadays almost everyone has multiple devices such as mobile phones, tablet computers and desktop computers. The combination of Qsync and the Turbo NAS fulfills seamless file synchronization, enabling users to get the most recent files with their computers and mobile devices. It is useful for frequent travelers who wish to manage files and always wish to have the most recent files on each device. Qsync provides multiple ways of file synchronization and group file sharing, greatly enhancing the flexibility of collaboration.

Smart mobile apps
Users can easily access the Turbo NAS through mobile apps. The Qfile app allows remote access to the Turbo NAS and sharing files stored on the Turbo NAS. File uploading, downloading and management with Qfile is easy. The new Qfile function "auto upload from photo gallery" enables users to take photos with a mobile device and have the photos automatically uploaded on to the Turbo NAS. It works as a real-time backup for precious photos. The new Qfile HD app is specifically designed for iPads with an enhanced user interface. The Qmanager app is useful for remotely monitoring and controlling the Turbo NAS's system status, services, downloading and backup tasks anytime, anywhere.

Integrated multimedia entertainment
The Turbo NAS provides versatile multimedia applications and acts as a media hub at home. The support of DLNA and AirPlay allows users to enjoy a TV experience in diverse ways. The rich applications make it easy and convenient to collect, manage and share huge collection of photos, music, and videos, enriching home entertainment.
QTS 4.0 key features include:
  • Intelligent desktop: multi-window, quick Start menu, smart Dashboard, drag-and-drop icons, multiple desktops, personal wallpapers, and smart Toolbar with desktop preferences, online resources, quick search, event notifications, event notifications, external device and background tasks;
  • File Station: supports photo thumbnails, photo setup with properties and privileges, moving files from local computers to File Station by drag-and-drop, recycle bin categorized by shared folders;
  • Photo Station: provides a new user interface, customized virtual slideshow by dragging and dropping photos, auto-sorting photos in a timeline, and photo tagging, photos and videos backup with Smart Import;
  • Music Station: provides new user interface and lyric editing;
  • Media Library: supports file transcoding;
  • HappyGet: as a third party application that supports backing up YouTube videos, Facebook photos, and Vimeo videos;
  • Surveillance Station Pro: provides new user interface, cross-browser support on PC with IE, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox;
  • App Center: provides more than 80 install-on-demand apps to increase diverse applications on the Turbo NAS;
  • myQNAPcloud.com: a new QNAP membership portal for managing registered Turbo NAS devices, accessing published NAS services, and quickly linking to start.qnap.com for online system setup without using a CD;
  • Qsync utility: creates a specific "Qsync" folder for users to simply drop files into, and automatically synchronizes the files to all of the devices that are linked to the Turbo NAS, with multiple ways of file synchronization and group file sharing;
  • QAirplay: supports browsing videos and photos stored on the Turbo NAS and playing on the TV via AirPlay-enabled devices;
  • Qfile/Qfile HD: supports auto upload from photo gallery;
  • Qmanager: supports remote setting for Wake on LAN and user permission for the Turbo NAS.
Key Specs of New Models
  • TS-x21 series - tower unit, available in 4, 2, 1-bay, 2.0 GHz CPU, 1GB DDR3 RAM, SATA HDD/ SSD, hard drives hot-swappable (TS-421, TS-221), 2X USB 3.0, 2X Gigabit LAN ports (TS-421), 1X Gigabit LAN port (TS-221, TS-121), LCM panel (TS-421);
  • TS-x20 series - tower unit, available in 4, 2, 1-bay, 1.6 GHz CPU, 512 MB DDR3 RAM, SATA HDD/ SSD, hard drives hot-swappable (TS-420, TS-220), 2X USB 3.0, 2X Gigabit LAN ports (TS-420), 1X Gigabit LAN port (TS-220, TS-120).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

The biggest downside to these boxes is their way outdated linux system that is practically never updated. It's great to have fancy interface but I seriously hope they updated some underlying packages (like samba which is stuck in smb_v1) and that this update will be available to older devices as well.

System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
The QTS 4.0 offers innovative desktop design to compliment smooth working efficiency. The multi-window design allows multi-tasking concurrently, and enables users to switch between each task to increase productivity. The QTS 4.0 intelligent desktop also includes a quick Start menu to quickly find desired applications, smart Dashboard with overview of system status, drag-and-drop icons to create desktop shortcuts or group shortcuts, multiple desktop to extend desktop work space, the smart Toolbar, and so on.

Looks like somebody finally got sick and tired of Synology kicking their ass in the WebUI department. They've been doing this for years with DSM and it's a big reason why I chose them.

It's great to have fancy interface but I seriously hope they updated some underlying packages (like samba which is stuck in smb_v1) and that this update will be available to older devices as well.

I can't speak for QNAP, but my Synology box with the DSM 4.2 update now uses CIFS v2. I'm not sure if SAMBA was updated along with the native CIFS protocol, but if you're using Windows, you're not using SAMBA anyways and if you're using Linux, you're better off using NFS.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Looks like somebody finally got sick and tired of Synology kicking their ass in the WebUI department. They've been doing this for years with DSM and it's a big reason why I chose them.

I can't speak for QNAP, but my Synology box with the DSM 4.2 update now uses CIFS v2. I'm not sure if SAMBA was updated along with the native CIFS protocol, but if you're using Windows, you're not using SAMBA anyways and if you're using Linux, you're better off using NFS.

It helps if you know what you're talking about before posting comments "In computer networking, Server Message Block (SMB), also known as Common Internet File System (CIFS)" "Samba is a free software re-implementation of the SMB/CIFS networking protocol for Unix-like systems"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

System Name CUBE_NXT
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
It helps if you know what you're talking about before posting comments "In computer networking, Server Message Block (SMB), also known as Common Internet File System (CIFS)" "Samba is a free software re-implementation of the SMB/CIFS networking protocol for Unix-like systems"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

It'd be nice if you could read. I don't know how you could interpret what I wrote as anything but the fact that I know the difference between CIFS and SAMBA.

I'm not sure if SAMBA was updated along with the native CIFS protocol, but if you're using Windows, you're not using SAMBA anyways and if you're using Linux, you're better off using NFS.

Processor C2duo e6750@ 2800mhz
Motherboard GA-P43T-ES3G
Cooling Xigmatek S1283
Memory 2x2Gb Kingstone HyperX DDR3 1600 (KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX )
Video Card(s) HIS HD 6870
Storage samsung HD103SJ
Case Xigmatek Utgard
Audio Device(s) X-FI Titanium Pci-e
Power Supply Xigmatek NRP-PC702 700W
Software win7 ultimate -64bit
What is the Max HDD capacity ? 2TB per HDD ? Or more ? Most important thing is missing i think .

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
It'd be nice if you could read. I don't know how you could interpret what I wrote as anything but the fact that I know the difference between CIFS and SAMBA.

Uhm, you do know that the NAS runs Samba so that CIFS on your Windows PC can talk to the NAS, right? Well, I guess not, as judging by your comments, you seem to think that the two aren't related...

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name CUBE_NXT
Uhm, you do know that the NAS runs Samba so that CIFS on your Windows PC can talk to the NAS, right? Well, I guess not, as judging by your comments, you seem to think that the two aren't related...

My NAS uses two implementations of it. Native CIFS v2 for Windows and it also you can turn on SAMBA support for Linux distros to use. Even their feature logs discuss the two terms differently and as far as I can tell, they're at two different versions.

Nice of you to continue using a condescending tone to try and talk down to me though.