• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

QNAP TS-859 Pro

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
The Turbo Station or TS-859 Pro from QNAP is the largest such unit in their NAS line-up, able to take in eight hard drives. Its comes with an Intel Atom CPU and 1 GB memory within the compact chassis, offering much more than just acting as a network accessible storage device.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
nice review. too bad we couldnt see some real world testing. i wish i had the money for that cause it would make an epic cloud!

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP
:wtf: this is why i dont understand premade NAS systems, your telling me its ~1200 Euros...for a metal box....with an atom board inside?

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
:wtf: this is why i dont understand premade NAS systems, your telling me its ~1200 Euros...for a metal box....with an atom board inside?

the raid hardware is expensive and the software is also fairly advanced.

System Name HTPC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory Kingston Fury Renegade RGB 32GB Kit (2x16GB) 3600Mhz DDR4 CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage Acer Predator GM7000 4TB / WD Blue SN570 1TB / TOSHIBA HDWD130 3TB
Display(s) LG Oled 42C3
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
the raid hardware is expensive and the software is also fairly advanced.

Software RAID FTL

I can't really justify the price tag for an atom based hardware, besides you can do pretty much the same with open source software with half the cost if not less.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Software RAID FTL

I can't really justify the price tag for an atom based hardware, besides you can do pretty much the same with open source software with half the cost if not less.

it is not software raid. it is hardware raid and the software to run all the other apps also costs in development.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It is software RAID, there is no hardware RAID controller included, that is mentioned in the review.

And the software that they provide is pretty useless. Why have a built in media player that needs to transcode all my media? I'll just stream the original file over the network and watch it in the media player of my choice. -Free

But I can use it to watch videos on my PS3/Xbox360. Tversity does that. -Free

A photo viewing app, nice, off cource I can just access the files over the network and use my better photo viewing app on my computer. -Free

A file manger...yeah its called Explorer... -Free

Built in bittorrent app? Big deal, utorrent does that, and provides a web interface so I can use it from any computer. -Free

This device is just overpriced, no doubt about it. The software, while it might have cost them to develope, has free and easy alternatives available, so QNAP isn't providing any value with the software. And for $1200 the least they could have done is throw in an 80GB 2.5" drive so you can install a real OS if you wanted, but for $1200 I would expect an decent sized SSD actually.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
ha. you are right, it is software raid. i guess i figured it had to be hardware raid to justify the price :laugh:

still, if you add up all of the costs of the materials to make the case, the hot swappable bays, the led indicators, the intel atom chipset/mobo/ram it would still come out to around $800 if you were to build one yourself. heck, a full tower server case costs $300-$400 alone.

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
Sure you can do software raid on an ITX board + 4 Port Controller card = 8 ports. But how about dual Gigabit NIC? Not going to happen as there is simply no space left for an expansion card.

Besides all the hardware features, set up Linux, get software raid up and running, all the different applications, get the running ALL the time with ALL of them accessible at the same time, add user access control, all within a package consuming a mere 90W on load. Not going to happen.

You have to see the grand theme of things. Sure, hardware wise you could build an equivalent mashine yourself, but not ITX and not with a power consumption of less than 100W and no were as compact.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Sure you can do software raid on an ITX board + 4 Port Controller card = 8 ports. But how about dual Gigabit NIC? Not going to happen as there is simply no space left for an expansion card.

Besides all the hardware features, set up Linux, get software raid up and running, all the different applications, get the running ALL the time with ALL of them accessible at the same time, add user access control, all within a package consuming a mere 90W on load. Not going to happen.

You have to see the grand theme of things. Sure, hardware wise you could build an equivalent mashine yourself, but not ITX and not with a power consumption of less than 100W and no were as compact.

yea and considering this is targeting small businesses which most do not have any in house IT expertise to build their own storage tower.

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
Darksaber
Page 7
Another run of ATTO did yield slightly lower numbers during teh rebuild process

docfranz

Update - Messing around with the 859 pro +

Just to give anyone else looking for this information a better idea. Here are a couple of things I discovered after I purchased this that aren't mentioned anywhere online. We bought 2 of these to mirror each other we have 8 x 3TB drives (seagate).

1) The file share structure blows - IE: you cannot have sub-directories shared to different users/groups than the parent share. The kerberos (ADS windows domain) integrations works but is crap, reboots drop the domain controller you have to put your password back in to reconnect, you can either have a group or users listed as members of a share if connected to a domain, but not both at the same time, the qnap frequently forgets the UUID of users on the domain. In conclusion: don't attempt to get this going on a windows domain controller and expect anything less than a paper weight. The overall software configuration blows. The qnap runs it own native version of linux, don't know the distro base. However since the 859 has VGA and usb you can plug a monitor in and watch it boot, since it is just an x86 computer. Doing this I was able to access linux console, so I promptly went around setting up proper samba by raw editing samba.conf in command line... this worked great (for a bit -we'll get to that) so everything is going swimmingly after the samba edit have non-shitty file sharing nested directories for shares (the native web-interface doesn't allow), so then I reboot the thing... and discover that apparently qnap stores (somewhere I couldn't find) a hash of the base config files in their last known "good" state -that being the state that qnap webconsole configured them in. If it detects on reboot the hash doesn't make it has a shadow copy -somewhere. That it overwrites the file with so that it returns it to it's expected hash. Nice from a backup idea terrible if you are editing the files manually. Every reboot you'd have to configure the thing all over again. Obviously that wasn't an option.

--- On to the ways to get around this:

- I first though, I'll wipe the internal flash memory and put linux on it, well you get 512 MB, debian with nothing barely fits (squeeze 6.0.3) you have approx 80 MB left, so then I thought well I'll just get a USB flash drive plug it in the back install "real" linux (debian squeeze) on it, run my own software raid and not have crappy shadow files overwriting my perfectly functional confs. This worked great except I happened to pick a flash drive that seems to have bad sectors, and besides it looks tachy sticking out the back.

I came across this site that had taken the qNAP apart: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/QNAP/TS-859_Pro/ [page 4] inside pics

You'll see they are using a usb headered flash drive nice industrial version. For some reason they decided on 512 MB so that had to be changed.

Here is the site that sells these things after market: http://www.e-itx.com/apacer-udm2-plus-type-a.html

--- They use the TYPE A USB header in the qnap 859, I was unable to tell if they use the normal temperature or extended temp. I purchased the normal temp as that is all the supplier said they could get at the time.

They [e-itx.com] basically just calls up apacer and orders one. They aren't cheap (as flash memory goes) but 1) they work, 2) they are the exact form factor, 3) same company, 4) now I can run linux on this thing with plenty of free space for linux extras (samba , tftpserver, ftp, etc) without worry that I only have 80 MB free.
(Base debian with some nice packages is approx 1.3 GB so I got the 4 GB one ... plenty of space now.)

Anyway, as a recommendation, do this, the form factor of the qnap is great, the transfer speeds over network are in the 100-120MB/s (capping Gigabit), just get rid of their terrible software install some real linux and you'll have yourself a nice machine.

--- Extra notes: I did try other OS distros geared toward NASes (FreeNAS, OPENfiler,etc) the problem with these was they all were someone limited in other general linux stuff without some compile from source, and they kind of take over the system and make it a little black box.

---- One note, with regular debian installed it detects all the hard drives however it doesn't seem to control the hdd lights correctly as only 4 (the 4 on the right of the device are on, the others are off but this is no way affects the ability for the OS to see the drives or use them in RAID or alone.)

-- Long post but no one has seemed to compile this information anywhere. So I thought I'd write it does as it has been about 2 months of work dealing with this.