1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quad x8 PCI Express Lanes + x1 NIC?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TIGR, Feb 19, 2010.

1. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Motherboard: K9A2 Platinum. Running four video cards which means a quad x8 link. If I toss in a PCI Express x1 NIC, any idea what happens to my quad x8 link? Does it run x8/x8/x8/x4 +x1 NIC or what?

Sorry if this is a real stupid question.

I have a flexible PCI Express x1 extender, and would rather get a PCI Express x1 NIC over a PCI NIC for the extra bandwidth available, but if it's going to destroy one of the video cards' performance, I'll have to go PCI with a flexible PCI extender.

2. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    Logic would seem to tell you it would slow down the bus somewhere.....but the way motherboard designers screw around with the settings i really dont even know anymore

3. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    That's where I'm at too. I'm also wondering whether the onboard NIC uses any of my precious PCI Express lanes. From some reading it appears some of the integrated ones do and some don't. Truth be told, I'm just confused at this point.

4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The quad x8 obviously comes from dual x16, as far as I know there are no chipsets that are limited to 32 lanes, there always are some extra for x1 slots and the likes.

TIGR says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Unless I am completely overlooking something, the 790FX chipset has 42 PCIe lanes: 32 are for the graphics (x8/x8/x8/x8), 6 for the other PCIe slots, and 4 to the SB. So adding a NIC in a 1x slot will be fine.

TIGR says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys, and right you are theonedub (about the 42 lanes).

And after this, here I am looking at switching to a Foxconn Destroyer. *sigh* Sorry! :banghead:

There's another one where I'm uncertain on the lanes. The Destroyer has dual gigabit networking, but I'm having a hard time finding out how all the traffic is routed, and whether those dual gigabit connections can actually give a gigabit connection each or total. First of all I'm just trying to nail down how many PCI Express lanes the Destroyer actually has—I saw 32 + 19 in one place.

7. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Even otherwise don't switch to Foxconn Destroyer. Foxconn abandoned its CPU support updates.

TIGR says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    You mean with the Destroyer, I wouldn't be able to utilize the newest CPUs? That wouldn't be a big deal. If I really wanted the latest and greatest I'd have to get a DDR3 native AM3 board.