• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Qualcomm Moots a Consortium of Chipmakers to Buy Arm if NVIDIA's Bid Fails

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Qualcomm is proposing a consortium of companies that will make a competitive bid to acquire Arm Holdings from SoftBank, if NVIDIA falters in its acquisition, according to a report in The Telegraph citing an interview with Qualcomm CEO Cristiano Amon. Unlike NVIDIA's bid, where a single company that's in the SoC designing business, gets to own Arm IP, giving it a competitive upper-hand over other Arm licensees; the consortium would be made up of several companies, including Qualcomm, one of Arm's largest IP licensees, which makes SoCs for smartphones, tablets, wearables, and IoT devices, across all market segments.

"If Arm has an independent future, I think you will find there is a lot of interest from a lot of the companies within the ecosystem, including Qualcomm, to invest in Arm," said Amon. "We will definitely be open to it, and we have had discussions with other companies that feel the same way. That's the reason it's a logical conclusion for us, and for many other companies, that to invest in a strong and independent Arm is probably the best for everyone," he added. NVIDIA is in the process of acquiring Arm Holdings, lock, stock, and barrel, in a humongous $40 billion deal, which has run into hold-ups with competition regulators across the globe, including the UK, the home of Arm Holdings.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I hope, I just hope this goes through. Qualcomm has a unique position in the Arm market. Everyone knows and trusts Apple makes the best cores. Well, in terms of power vs. performance Qualcomm is Apple's match - they have a shorter performance scale, but their power efficiency makes up for it!
This would be the best thing to come in Arm Holding's way, Nvidia is power hog trash, sorry for blunt frankness.

The way things are going Nvidia will quite likely acquire ARM, the only way deal doesn't go through is really the regulators in EU/UK or China stop it!

The way things are going Nvidia will quite likely acquire ARM, the only way deal doesn't go through is really the regulators in EU/UK or China stop it!
Weird thing is, Arm's China division is not complying with company directives...

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
This is what should've happened to start with. As always, companies are slow to act, but arm shouldn't be owned by a single chip maker, it's not good for competitive reason. In fact, arm should be turned into a "non profit" in the sense that anyone should be able to license arm technology and all the proceedings should go towards R&D etc. and not towards shareholders profit.
The real problem is that after MIPS failed to keep up, arm has become more or less ubiquitous, with only very recently some RISC-V cores starting to appear in the MCU market.
As such, if Nvidia gets full control of arm, they would be in control of pretty much the entire market of low power chips, ranging from air conditioners to smartphones to cars and factory automation. This wouldn't be a good thing and a lot of their competitors would most likely look elsewhere, even though there aren't many options today that could replace arm based chips in many markets.
I guess this is also a flaw in the market as a whole, arm got a lead and the competition didn't get enough interest/investment, so they kind of fell off the board so to say. Yes, MIPS are kind of still around, but no-one seems to really care, despite MIPS having gone open sauce.
It's really quite sad that this kind of technology is controlled by so few companies these days.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Nvidia vs Qualcomm(consortium or not).
Damn, ARM's future is between black and extremely dark grey.

I really don't wish NV or Qualcomm to hold ARM. But a consortium is okay'ish as long as other major players are in the mix like MediaTek, AMD, Samsung.

Like how I don't like Intel buying SiFive (RISC-V designer), even though this is harmful than NV buying ARM.

I would prefer ARM to be independent, i.e. not owned by any tech companies. It Nvidia manage to complete the acquisition, things will start going south from there. I am not sure if ARM will be in a mess if its owned by a bunch of tech companies as well since each one will want their way.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Well, it's been my experience that the REAL, underlying problem with tech consortiums/mergers/takeovers/buyouts is that in the beginning, all the members start out (publicly) saying they are all in it together with the same goals, aspirations, etc etc....

Then when they see all details/secrets of the actual IP involved, they start scheming about ways to grab & hold onto some of it for themselves, so they can claim to have developed the next "big thing" and get their grubby, slimy hands on all the money it will generate for the execs, so they can buy even moar yachts, mansions, uber-expensive cars, whores/mistresses, jewelry etc.. etc..

Capitalism 101 at it's finest... :roll::D:clap:

Here's ANUTHA vote for an independent ARM ....

Well, now it becomes clear why Qualcomm has been paying for promotional shit-talking articles on how this merger is a bad thing :rolleyes: Meanwhile, they have killed Kryo, Centriq, and now NUVIA is a deer-in-the-headlights.

Nvidia continues to develop/ship it's own Project Denver successors in it's Tegra compute units (so it's the most-likely company to think long-term stability for CPU design)

In terms of GPU side, both Nvidia and Qualcomm have their own superior GPU to Mali (so either company will likely kill it off after purchase), but Qualcomm will be the worst benefactor I can think of for CPU dev (they want it fast and easy, or they will cut you loose).

The only long-term plan Qualcomm ever has is for building market-dominating wireless chips into everything it builds; dominating GPU and CPU are secondary to that mission.

Last edited:
The only long-term plan Qualcomm ever has is for building market-dominating wireless chips into everything it builds; dominating GPU and CPU are secondary to that mission.
Qualcomm has that uncontested IP. Everyone would be better off paying Qualcomm royalty and we reap their wireless benefits.
PS: I think Qualcomm has more relatable IP in the Arm ecosystem.

Last edited: