• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quantum wave function directly measured

T

twilyth

This is pretty cool. They were able to do it only by using identical photons. I think it's incredibly satisfying to be able to visualize something like this.

Science News

The wave function that describes the location of a single particle of light is colorfully depicted in an artist’s interpretation, superimposed on an image of the experimental setup.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Interesting. It's a shame that this thread has received no replies, but I think it's likely because this is all a bit abstract, like cutting edge physics tends to be.

One can ask what's the point of this measurement, but of course there is. Measurements like this can add extra evidence to solidify and refine the theory further, find something new and unexpected, or blow a hole in the theory.

T

twilyth

The concept of a wave function is really difficult to get a handle on. It's not in any way intuitive and your mind keeps trying to find analogies to the real world, but there just aren't any.

I don't know who turned me on to this, but I 've been reading the physics 2000 tutorials and they do a damned good job of explaining things in a way that I think anyone can understand. You just have to be patient and go slowly.