• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question about battery capacity

Lei

Processor 3900x - Bykski waterblock
Motherboard MSI b450m mortar max BIOS Date 27 Apr 2023
Cooling αcool 560 rad - 2xPhanteks F140XP
Memory Micron 32gb 3200mhz ddr4
Video Card(s) Colorful 3090 ADOC active backplate cooling
Storage WD SN850 2tb ,HP EX950 1tb, WD UltraStar Helioseal 18tb+18tb
Display(s) 24“ HUION pro 4k 10bit
Case aluminium extrusions copper panels, 60 deliveries for every piece down to screws
Audio Device(s) sony stereo mic, logitech c930, Gulikit pro 2 + xbox Series S controller, moded bt headphone 1200mAh
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse pen display, no mouse no click
Keyboard Microsoft aio media embedded touchpad (moded lithium battery 1000mAh)
Software Win 11 23h2 build 22631
Benchmark Scores cine23 20000
Can we replace a device batt with something of a higher amperage? Say 3x more

Does the battery tell how much it's full, or device checks the amount?
I doubt device checks, because what happens if you not use a battery for long enough and lose some charge.
I'm worried if I replace a 1000mAh with 3000mAh, it would get charged upto a limit that device is designed for.

Or is it that battery knows its current % and can tell the device to keep charging until I'm full?

Processor I7-4790k
Motherboard Asus Z97-AR
Cooling Noctua NH-D9L 2xfans
Memory Hyperx Fury ddr3L 4x8gb at 1600mhz
Video Card(s) R9 295x2 /modified with 280mm radiator
Display(s) Samsung oled 43inch 4k tv
Case Cooler Master HAF evo
Audio Device(s) tv
Power Supply Corsair RM750x gold
Mouse Corsair M65 PRO
Keyboard Logitech k400 plus
Software Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Graphics score of 25 250 in 3dMark FireStrike
Its ok, what might happen is the % will act weird for a bit while the device adapt to the new battery.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
Also, the charge time will be as many times increased as the capacity increase.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Lithium batteries are charged to a specific voltage, which is closely related to their charge in amp/hours. As long as the voltage is identical (it should be, but it depends on the number of cells) you will be fine. As noted above, the voltage/charge curve may be slightly different, so the percentage may be slightly inaccurate.

Depends on the chemistry, depends on a lot of things, depends on the charge circuitry.

Having 3x C (C == capacity) means that your battery will sink 3x more current during charge. Is your charge circuitry constant-voltage? Well, bam, you just ran 3x more amps than the CV circuit expected. Maybe that makes the CV circuit overheat, I dunno.

Or is the charge circuitry constant-current? Then it'd be fine (CC == op-amps and other crap that measures the current to ensure that nothing bad happens).

Its impossible to know the state of charge of most battery chemistries today. The way "fuel gauges" work is by measuring / counting / coulomb counting in practice, but that requires a timer + model to figure out the internal leakage of cells. So... yeah... depends on chemistry.

----------

I'd say... Lead Acid is probably fine (most Lead Acid batteries are CV-CC). Lithium-ion is lol complex (the charge controller might be part of the cell, it might not be, who knows where it is? There's also LFP vs LiPo vs Li-ion and all sorts of minute chemical differences).

I'm about 50/50 on NiMH. A trickle-charge NiMH probably relies upon the C-capacity being in a certain range, but a CV-CC fast charger NiMH with temperature control probably could figure things out??

--------

Can you give more details: What chemistry are your cells? What device are you putting them into? Etc. etc. What's your charger?

Its ok, what might happen is the % will act weird for a bit while the device adapt to the new battery.

This is only true if the charge controller is built into the battery, such as laptops. This is absolutely not true for NiMH cells or SLA cells, or unprotected 18650 Li-ion cells. There's a lot of different batteries in the wild, and the topic poster hasn't given enough details for anybody in this topic to make any kind of recommendation.

I'm hoping you're not dealing with unprotected 18650s, which are prone to explode when you perform these kinds of experiments on them.

------------

So please, be more specific. What cells, what chemistry, what batteries are you talking about exactly.

Last edited:
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
It really depends on the chemistry. This is an ex. of a bad idea switching from a lead acid setup whose charge is intended to only charge lead acid, and ppl convert to lithium. Eventually the lithium will die due to the wrong type of charger/lack of charge. And then if its lithium, you better have a BMS for it too.

electrowind

Can we replace a device batt with something of a higher amperage? Say 3x more

I doubt device checks, because what happens if you not use a battery for long enough and lose some charge.
I'm worried if I replace a 1000mAh with 3000mAh, it would get charged upto a limit that device is designed for.

Or is it that battery knows its current % and can tell the device to keep charging until I'm full?
It's generally not recommended to replace a device battery with one that has a much higher amperage than the original battery. This is because the device is designed to operate with a specific type of battery, and using a battery with a significantly different amperage could potentially cause damage to the device, including overheating, short-circuiting, or even battery explosion.

Regarding your question about whether the battery or device determines the battery's charge level, it's actually a combination of both. The battery contains a small microchip called a "fuel gauge" that keeps track of the battery's charge level and communicates that information to the device. The device also has its own software that monitors the battery's charge level and may adjust its charging behavior based on the information provided by the fuel gauge.

If you replace a 1000mAh battery with a 3000mAh battery, the device will still use the fuel gauge in the new battery to determine its charge level. However, the device may not be designed to handle the larger battery capacity and may not charge the battery to its full capacity, or may charge it too slowly. Additionally, the larger battery may not fit properly in the device's battery compartment, which could cause other issues.

It's generally recommended to use a battery that is compatible with your device's specifications to avoid any potential damage or performance issues. If you need a higher capacity battery, it's best to look for one that is specifically designed for your device and is compatible with its charging and power management systems.

System Name Asus X450JB
Processor Intel Core i7-4720HQ
Motherboard Asus
Memory 2x 4GiB
Video Card(s) nVidia GT940M
Storage 2x 1TB
Exchanging capacities are usually fine most of the time. Though you HAVE to make sure the battery is of the same series amount (same 1S, 2S and so on), and of the same chemistry. Lithium batteries come in several flavor. Li-Ion have 4.1v full charge per cell, LiPo have 4.2v, LiFePo have 3.3v. Exchanging Li-Ion to LiPo is fine, exchanging LiPo to Li-Ion is usually fine but probably shorten its life, exchanging any other to LiFePo (or the other way around) won't work, with sparks and fires potentially involved if you insist.

Depending of 1000 to 3000mAh this capacities range suggested something like mobile phone. Too large for smart watch and ink paper devices like ebooks, too small for tablets and laptops.

Lei

Processor 3900x - Bykski waterblock
Motherboard MSI b450m mortar max BIOS Date 27 Apr 2023
Cooling αcool 560 rad - 2xPhanteks F140XP
Memory Micron 32gb 3200mhz ddr4
Video Card(s) Colorful 3090 ADOC active backplate cooling
Storage WD SN850 2tb ,HP EX950 1tb, WD UltraStar Helioseal 18tb+18tb
Display(s) 24“ HUION pro 4k 10bit
Case aluminium extrusions copper panels, 60 deliveries for every piece down to screws
Audio Device(s) sony stereo mic, logitech c930, Gulikit pro 2 + xbox Series S controller, moded bt headphone 1200mAh
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse pen display, no mouse no click
Keyboard Microsoft aio media embedded touchpad (moded lithium battery 1000mAh)
Software Win 11 23h2 build 22631
Benchmark Scores cine23 20000
It's generally not recommended to replace a device battery with one that has a much higher amperage than the original battery. This is because the device is designed to operate with a specific type of battery, and using a battery with a significantly different amperage could potentially cause damage to the device, including overheating, short-circuiting, or even battery explosion.

It's generally recommended to use a battery that is compatible with your device's specifications to avoid any potential damage or performance issues.
1676677297725.png

Additionally, the larger battery may not fit properly in the device's battery compartment, which could cause other issues.
If you need a higher capacity battery, it's best to look for one that is specifically designed for your device and is compatible with its charging and power management systems.
1676676860196.png

Depending of 1000 to 3000mAh this capacities range suggested something like mobile phone. Too large for smart watch and ink paper devices like ebooks, too small for tablets and laptops.
good analysis, but two batteries with same dimensions being 2000mAh apart, or a phone that a battery even 2 millimeters larger can fit in it, makes the phone a wrong guess.

Confused Look To God GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Or is the charge circuitry constant-current? Then it'd be fine (CC == op-amps and other crap that measures the current to ensure that nothing bad happens).
Charge via USB-C

I'd say... Lead Acid is probably fine (most Lead Acid batteries are CV-CC). Lithium-ion is lol complex (the charge controller might be part of the cell, it might not be, who knows where it is? There's also LFP vs LiPo vs Li-ion and all sorts of minute chemical differences).
LIP
Can you give more details: What chemistry are your cells? What device are you putting them into? Etc. etc. What's your charger?
Want to change this battery:

1676678338233.png

To this:

1676678338101.png

thickness mmwidth mmheight mm
Stock83040
MOD84066

both 3.7v
I know you say it doesn't fit, but it can be placed on top of the board if you turn it 90°. (not in the battery compartment)

kinda like this:

1676679534034.png

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Should be fine, those are sufficiently "dumb" that there should be no cell management issues.

• Haha
Reactions: Lei
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64