1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question about case fans,

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mediasorcerer, Sep 17, 2011.

1. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    can i wire a second fan in parellel off the "chassis" fan socket on my motherboard without it doing harm? i did have it plugged into the "power" fan socket but as you know,theres no pwm on that plug[there isnt on mine anyhow] and its too noisy at full rpm,heres a picture of what i have done,

any advice is great,
    system is-i5k,asus p8z68 m pro,giga 6850 oc,antec 650,

just wondered if it will over draw voltage/amps/watts/milliamps .i did it in parellel[i think] red to red,black to black etc,

with the extra fan in the case,its idling temp is down to 20-25c instead of 25-30c,check the foto,

cheers from me,regs ms.

Attached Files:

2. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    for standard fan if you make it paralel its ok
    but if you paralel pwm and standard cables i dunno, if you draw too much power thru pmw you may fry your board

mediasorcerer says thanks.
  3. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    theres 4 pins on the "chassis" fan socket,but my fan that came with the case only has 3,it does seem to work fine and rpm up/down according to usage,but having the second fan running off "power" socket is way too loud etc,[stays on full!!!]

so only using the two off the one plug,i thought in parellel the voltage stays the same?

thats what was worrying me tho,mobo toast,just built it a week ago,first desktop build too,you think i should disconnect just in case? and only use one case fan,seems fine at the moment ,

there both running ,

Attached Files:

4. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    couldnt you just plug it into the 5volt molex line instead of the 12 volt?.... or use both the 5volt and 12 volt to make 7ish?

5. ST.Viper

ST.Viper

Thanks Received:
    If plug just two fans you are fine. I did it several times in past and there was no damage so far. Hope this help you.

6. lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    This is a bad idea.

Most motherboards have an amperage limit for the fans. If you are to connect two in parallel the start-up draw will be significant. Most motherboards cannot handle that kind of draw.

If your mobo book says you could support that kind of amperage then there should not be a problem.

7. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    [edit-new post-revaluate thinking ]its not acting up the system in any way,nothings getting hot,its cooler according to temp readings,im not using the "power" fan socket at all,just 2 off the "chassis" socket as u can see etc,,forgive me if it seems an obvious question to some,

but you folks here so far as ive read/discovered are pretty onto it,a good place to ask!

ok so check the manual and find out how much can be drawn from the chassis fan pins? check the fan specs too if possible and work from there?

8. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont have an adjustment unit tho,so it will run at full rpm yes if plug directly into psu?? thats why i didnt end up using the "power" fan pins,cos its just way too loud,it just runs at full rpm all the time etc,at least with "chassis" its regulated according to temp,

as far as i can discern anyhow,

ps,thank you folks for input,!! very kind man.

9. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    aah-that makes sense,so it may not be a problem while its running,but when its starting up it will over draw?
    and in series the line voltage will change,possibly creating problems too yes?

10. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    why dont you use the other power pins? i guess it would be better

11. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes i think your right and i will,im thinking its not a good idea afterall,i just built it and cost me 1k all up so not worth baked mobo oni a week after building it,lol,have disconnected,i think maybe the fan i got given was not a very good one somehow too,that may account for its high noise,the fan inside the case is much quieter anyway,i tested both thru same pins etc,one is very loud,

thanks you guys for your gracious attitude and advice,its well appreciated from me,kudos why not,might have saved me a mobo,haha.!!!

i think i will get aftermarket cpu cooler and add a few better quality case fans too next week,

if any of you good folks can recommend a good brand cpu cooler for i5,be appreciated .cheers ms.

12. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    air based or water cooling?:toast:

13. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    dont know yet?,dont want to spend too much,ive been pricing and having a look around at a few different options,water cooling seems a bit more expensive,but maybe more effective?

im pretty happy with the little machine i put together,my idea was to get as much power as i could into the smallest area i could,i like that idea,its challenging,
    problem solving is the best!!!!! it was HEAPS of fun to build it,the case i cheaped out on tho,
    and had to butcher it to fit the psu in,because of the lenght of the gpu,boy its a tight fit!!!

due to funds,thought its better to have good components[relatively etc] and "adequate" case than the other way,

really id like to design my own all in one air and water cpu cooler system,
    had an idea to build air and water cooling in the same unit!! by using the fan motor to also power a small water pump,and contain it all in one unit,and pump water around thru the cores as well as air cool,somtin like that anyhow,

check out how close the end of the gpu is in the foto,lol!! i grabbed a cheap case cos i couldnt stand the idea of taking all the components home the day i got them and not being able to build it!!!:cry::toast:

Attached Files: