• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question about casefan setup.

System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
first helpful comment is almost at the end of the first page but then we get this...
Actually, I thought the first helpful post would have been determining we were talking abour GPU temps and not CPU temps, or me asking about the OP's fan curve for the GPU.

@ThrashZone seriously, the 2-3 degree the OP got when he took the side panel off the case is irrelevant in this situation. The OP GPU is hitting 83'c and throttling (meaning it's trying to heat up even more). 2-3'c will not prevent that from happening. It would only prolong the time it take for the GPU to start throttling by 5 or so minutes. Regardless of the OP's case air flow, that is not the issue here. Something is wrong with the video card it's self.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Actually, I thought the first helpful post would have been determining we were talking abour GPU temps and not CPU temps, or me asking about the OP's fan curve for the GPU.

@ThrashZone seriously, the 2-3 degree the OP got when he took the side panel off the case is irrelevant in this situation. The OP GPU is hitting 83'c and throttling (meaning it's trying to heat up even more). 2-3'c will not prevent that from happening. It would only prolong the time it take for the GPU to start throttling by 5 or so minutes. Regardless of the OP's case air flow, that is not the issue here. Something is wrong with the video card it's self.
Hi,
But also the back of the case is not open
There's cabinet walls on each side and the wall looks pretty close to the back of the case too this is the obvious part I was referring too not the silly side vent lol those are always known to restrict air so nothing new there.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
tenor (2).gif

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
Can you not see the intake vents on the front sides of the OP's case?
View attachment 192649
Still, it's just a horrible design. I just don't know why manufacturers put 3 fans (or mounting for 3 fans) then choke them out with side vents. If they aren't going to do mesh on the front cover, at least widen the side vents or something. I built 2 identical budget gaming machine a few months using little Darkflash DLM 21's. One had the side vents like this, and the other had a full mesh front cover. The ambient temp inside the case was literally 9 degrees cooler in the mesh version. Cpu gap was ever wider at full load, like 11c.

Case fancier than yours
Still, it's just a horrible design. I just don't know why manufacturers put 3 fans (or mounting for 3 fans) then choke them out with side vents. If they aren't going to do mesh on the front cover, at least widen the side vents or something. I built 2 identical budget gaming machine a few months using little Darkflash DLM 21's. One had the side vents like this, and the other had a full mesh front cover. The ambient temp inside the case was literally 9 degrees cooler in the mesh version. Cpu gap was ever wider at full load, like 11c.
Because people wanted that cool clean look of a solid panel or glass to show off those rgb lights and were completely shocked that choking the front panel air supply would increase temps. Who would have known? :rolleyes:

You should watch the Hardware Cannucks review of the 600S to see how many common fallacies about case design get blown outta the water. The chocking that is often assumed in such designs never materializes because the front side vents which were shown in previous photo, provide more than enough air flow. We conduct a smoke of test case airflow before installing componentry on every build and there is no observable difference in air flow dynamics wither way. Actual testing shows less than a 4% impact. So anyone who has actually done testing or observed testing with actual measuring instruments is well aware that there is no observable impact and tiny measurable impact.

There is no choking, the vents on the side of the panels provide more than enough intakle air and this has been proven by actual testing. IT has been shown that "mesh" provides more air resistance than the solid panel simply because the solid panel is not in the air flow path. The air isn't coming in from the front, it's coming in thru the sides as was shown in the previous posters photo markup. ....A case behaves no different than a building. The only thing that determines cooling ability in any enclosure are:

a) the volume of air that flows thru the system (air changes per hour)
b) the open area available for the air to pass thru
c) the ability of the fan to overcome any back pressure caused by air resistance.

If you take off a side panel and use a desk fan to blow air into the case and you don't see temperature drops of more than 2-3 C, you do NOT have case air flow issues. If you have any doubt, see actual testing destroy common case myths here:

1. Here, we see a default air flow of 271 ft/min with a solid plastic front panel similar to the glass on front panel and the side inlets similar to what the OP has.
2. So when you tilt the panel out, opening up the entire front area to air flow, if that assumption of front panel obstruction was true ... we should see a massive increase in air flow ... but we don't. Air flow only increases by 3.7% to to 281 ft/min. At this point let me save some folks the embarrassment of claiming that "well even angled, it still blocks air flow" ... well, another mouth busted, it does not. With the panel completely removed instead of angled, there is NO CHANGE in air flow; it remains 281 ft/min. The thought to take home here is that while the change in tilting the panel out is not observable, it is measurable. So a user can leave the panel closed while doing normal PS operations but when running stress tests or extreme gaming, they can tilt the panel out and increase air flow by over 3% . Yes they could take the panel off because of the mistaken assumption that something will be accomplished, but there will be no observable nor measurable increase in air flow.
3. Next they take off the hexagonal mesh with it's huge openings and here we see yet another myth about mesh cases destroyed. Removing the mesh produces the largest increase in air flow of removing any other item. Taking out the mesh increases air flow by 19 ft/min ... a 6.8% increase in air flow. Get it ? The biggest thing you can do to improve air flow in solid front panel / side vent designs is remove the mesh. Might not work as well on every case, but the design theory is proven sound.
--- Take of the mesh gain 19 ft/min ....
--- Take off the solid front cover get half the benefit of removing the mesh at 10 ft/min
--- Unavoidable / Irrefutable Conclusion ... the mesh has almost twice the negative impact on air flow as the solid cover
4. Finally take off the dust filter and pick up another 13 ft/min

In summary:

Open Mesh has a performance penalty of 6.76%
Dust Filter has a performance penalty of 4.33%
Removing Solid Front Cover as a performance penalty of 3.69%

Another thing to watch with case air flow design is the balance between intake and exhaust, especially if your fans are equipped with dust filters. While, when clean, you may have a restriction of say 5%, this can grow to 20% when dirty and even 33% if you are like my son and when you peel off the dust layer from the filter, you can make a quilt. Let's look at a typical 3 in (front 2 out all the same fan and all have a flow rate of EQ cfm

The 3 in have say 25% of the flow lost to air flow restriction of the dirty filter.

So that's:

3 x EQ x 75% = 2.25 EQ in
2 x EQ x 100% = 2.00 EQ out

Ok every thing is good .. In > Out. Now the user adds and AIO and for reasons I can never fathom, and against manufacturer's published installation instructions, the user sets up fans to use the preheated case inside air to cool their rad / CPU. Now that's 3 in and 3 out.

3 x EQ x 75% = 2.25 EQ in
3 x EQ x 100% = 3.00 EQ out *

* Note while the rad may cause some restriction also, the extreme speed fans that come with the AIO will offset this.

That creates a negative pressure situation where make up air needs to come in from outside thru and remaining case openings. The path of least resistance will be the rear grill and vented slot covers. And the air just outisede those lacations is what ? I's hot exhaust air from your PSU an a bit of your GFX card exhaust.

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
The chocking that is often assumed in such designs never materializes because the front side vents which were shown in previous photo, provide more than enough air flow.
Ok John, you believe that if you want, I believe science.
Having the fans in the front panel adjacent to the glass restricts air flow, moving them back in to the case behind the front panel as I suggested earlier gives the fans more room to breathe, try your "smoke test" and let me know when you find out I'm right so I can read it here.

Case fancier than yours
You should watch the Hardware Cannucks review of the 600S to see how many common fallacies about case design get blown outta the water. The chocking that is often assumed in such designs never materializes because the front side vents which were shown in previous photo, provide more than enough air flow. We conduct a smoke of test case airflow before installing componentry on every build and there is no observable difference in air flow dynamics wither way. Actual testing shows less than a 4% impact. So anyone who has actually done testing or observed testing with actual measuring instruments is well aware that there is no observable impact and tiny measurable impact.

I can't speak for the 600S but I ran a similar test on my Phanteks 400s as I have both the mesh front and the closed front panel with the top and bottom vent slits. I saw my CPU temps drop 4-5c going from the closed front to the mesh front running Intel benchmarks over several tests; to the point that I was getting the same temps with my side panel and front panel completely off as I was with the mesh front cover. GN saw similar results in their tests as well. I did not test on the GPU as I expected those results to have a smaller impact.