• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question about "find max core" with ATITool

Brawly

Processor Intel Pentium D 930 3.0Ghz 800Mhz FSB
Motherboard Abit AB9
Cooling Evercool WC-202 Water Cooling System
Memory Mushkin DDR2 2GB High Performance Ram
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X800XL PCI-E 256Mb Card
Storage WD 80GB Raptor/Maxtor Diamondmax 10 80 & 120GB HDD's
Display(s) Hyundai ImageQuest L70B 17" LCD
Case Thermaltake Tai Chi
Audio Device(s) RealTek HD On-Board audio 7.1
Power Supply CoolerMaster 600W PSU
Software WindowsXP Pro Media Center Edition 2005
Hello everyone - Newbie here! I would like to overclock my ATI Radeon X800XL PCI-e graphic card. I have installed the atitool utility and after carefully reading the instructions for use on the tech Power Up site, decided to give it a go! This being my first time, and well aware that overclocking can damage components if not careful; I started the atitool utility and prompted it to automatically find max core. This is my concern: The atitool utility began to adjust the clock and displayed the cube graphic to detect artifacts, after roughly 5 to 6 min.s the slider had adjusted the speed to 490 and was continuing to adjust higher having found no artifacts! Default is 400 (I have included an attachment with the default setting for my card & where I quit find max core). Before I utilized the tool, I had google searched for information on overclock results for the X800XL card, and at most the average max core speed settled around 450! Needless to say I aborted the test in fear of damaging my card. Am I doing something wrong? Does this sound unusual to anyone? Possibly this is something inherent with the ATI Radeon X800XL? Any information to help me with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.:confused:

Attachments

• Atitool Default settings.png
    Atitool Default settings.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 659
  • Atitool OC.png
    Atitool OC.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 668
Last edited:

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It seems to be that your memory can go higher than what you found on the web. If youve installed a great aftermarket cooler, this could also explain the results. You might have a terrific card and hardware to support oc'ing it further. Id monitor the temps as it adjusts to find max core and max mem. If they dont get too high,and it doesnt detect any artifacts, I say go with it.

Brawly

Processor Intel Pentium D 930 3.0Ghz 800Mhz FSB
Motherboard Abit AB9
Cooling Evercool WC-202 Water Cooling System
Memory Mushkin DDR2 2GB High Performance Ram
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X800XL PCI-E 256Mb Card
Storage WD 80GB Raptor/Maxtor Diamondmax 10 80 & 120GB HDD's
Display(s) Hyundai ImageQuest L70B 17" LCD
Case Thermaltake Tai Chi
Audio Device(s) RealTek HD On-Board audio 7.1
Power Supply CoolerMaster 600W PSU
Software WindowsXP Pro Media Center Edition 2005
Thanks WarEagleAU! I will give it a try and will post my results when I get to a safe overclock. As I am not very familiar with ATITools, would your opinion be that it is a pretty reliable utility? How is the accuracy? By the way, your response is appreciated!:)