• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question about having two cpu's

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Hiya,

I would like to clear up some misconceptions. But first I will water it down for the OP:

You should make sure the processors are the same. If you are using a non-server motherboard IE: an asus/gigabyte/evga workstation (WS) motherboard you should make sure the steppings are also the same.

Now let's get down to business. I work with QUAD and DUAL socket servers everyday. I also deal with blade systems (multiple server connected to a single chassis backplane).

Most of the information in this thread is correct, however there is a lot wrong with the explanations, as some of these "rules" affect certain points in time only.

"The CPUs must be the same stepping"

This is no longer true. It was only true for 55XX and E5-XXXXv1 CPUs. Starting with v2 CPUs many restraints were lifted:

Intel itself tests mixed CPU configurations and supports them, this is the blurb:

7.5 Mixing Processors

Intel supports and validates two and four processor configurations only in which all processors operate with the same Intel® QuickPath Interconnect frequency, core frequency, power segment, and have the same internal cache sizes. Mixing components operating at different internal clock frequencies is not supported and will not be validated by Intel. Combining processors from different power segments is also not supported. Note: Processors within a system must operate at the same frequency per bits [15:8] of the FLEX_RATIO MSR (Address: 194h); however this does not apply to frequency transitions initiated due to thermal events, Extended HALT, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology transitions signal.

Please refer to the Intel® Xeon® Processor E5 v2 Product Family Processor Datasheet, Volume Two: Registers for details on the FLEX_RATIO MSR and setting the processor core frequency.

Not all operating systems can support dual processors with mixed frequencies. Mixing processors of different steppings but the same model (as per CPUID instruction) is supported provided there is no more than one stepping delta between the processors, for example, S and S+1. S and S+1 is defined as mixing of two CPU steppings in the same platform where one CPU is S (stepping) = CPUID.(EAX=01h):EAX[3:0], and the other is S+1 = CPUID.(EAX=01h):EAX[3:0]+1. The stepping ID is found in EAX[3:0] after executing the CPUID instruction with Function 01h. Details regarding the CPUID instruction are provided in the AP-485, Intel® Processor Identification and the CPUID Instruction application note, also refer to the Intel® Xeon® Processor E5 v2 Product Family Specification Update.

CPUs of similar families albeit different models only need to adhere to a few basic rules:

Processors operate with the same Intel:
  1. QuickPath Interconnect frequency
  2. core frequency
  3. power segment
  4. have the same internal cache sizes
  5. Within 1 stepping version

Additionally as bolded above, Intel supports stepping differences as long as it is no more than 1 ahead (S and S+1).

Server chipsets are not generally tinkered with, so Intels vanilla rules of engagement will likely apply, if using a board from supermicro, dell, HPE etc. This gets tricker with "gaming" or "workstation" boards as they do not always adhere to the standards or modify the BIOS's of the respective boards.

Current system checks DO NOT take week batch into consideration.

Now given that rules 1-4 diminish the CPU compatibility pool by a significant margin it is generally "easier" to simply get 2 CPUs of the same model. IE: E5-2630v3.

Further, passed v2 Intel generally does not release multiple "Spec Codes (S-Spec)" (not to be confused with design "stepping") with , save for ES samples on scalable Xeon CPUs. Which means that you generally only need to go by the CPU model anyway.

Case in point for the E5-2630v3:

Intel also is pretty good about listing production "steppings (S-SPECs)" should they exist on the ARK page for the CPU in question if they are newer (IIRC past v4). If multiple production steppings exist a field will exist for it, the absence of such usually indicating only 1 such stepping was produced for that specific model.

Production: SR206
ES: QGZX

Finally: The OS in question also needs to support mixed CPUs, but this ONLY APPLIES too different models. The stepping is checked only on a chipset level. The OS cares about voltage and clock speed as the task scheduler and powerplan needs to be happy about it.

Thankfully this is supported on almost all new OSs.

Remember however, that in windows land, you will need Pro and up as home does not support NUMA IIRC (multiple sockets).

BONUS: As alluded too previously, Dual+ socket has no issues with current OSs and current software, the task schedulers for Windows and Linux are more than capable of understanding it. The task scheduler only differs between kernels, and windows builds, so 1804 and 1909 may have different schedulers, but Hom/Pro/Ent/Server do not matter as NUMA is scheduler agnostic. Compatibility for NUMA is software locked based on edition, but the scheduler is not different.

Hope this clears it up for some ppl.

FUN FACT: Specifications generally require chipsets on dual+ socket motherboards to support multi CPU generations 1 generation at a time.

IE: v1 and v2 CPUs can share a board, v3 v4 can also share a board etc. This is part of Intel's chipset specifications.

Last edited:
Incorrect. Steppings matter! Always have. Please review;

Model numbers have to match, stepping codes have to match, batch numbers do NOT.

Please stop complicating this for the OP when it doesn't need to be complicated... Steppings do matter historically, but you've entirely ignored my point. Broadwell and later very rarely have different errata steppings in tray units. It doesn't matter to check because if you, for example, buy two 2687W v4 CPUs they will both always be S-Spec SR2NA, 4F, M0.

Modern day Intel doesn't waste time with respinning cores for a single generation. They patch it up to ship next generation as a new product.

Intel specs are subject to vendor compliance to the stated spec. Most OEM vendors do not support different CPU models on the same board nor V1+V2 or V3+V4 configurations. I have never seen such support in Dell or HP systems.

Please stop complicating this for the OP when it doesn't need to be complicated...
What is complicated about advising someone to use the same model and s-spec CPU? That keeps things simple by direct application of principle.

Most OEM vendors do not support different CPU models on the same board nor V1+V2 or V3+V4 configurations. I have never seen such support in Dell or HP systems.

This is a tangent and I've already addressed it by saying match the models. So I won't address it again. Read Solaris's post.

What is complicated about advising someone to use the same model and s-spec CPU? That keeps things simple by direct application of principle.

Because your first posts in the thread spread outdated information. Read Solaris's post.

This is a tangent and I've already addressed it by saying match the models. So I won't address it again. Read Solaris's post.

Because your first posts in the thread spread outdated information. Read Solaris's post.
I'm not here to argue, I'm here to help the OP.

If they want to keep things simple and assure stable operation of the system they want to use in a dual CPU configuration they should heed the advice to use identical CPU's.

I'm done.

System Name DELL Inspiron 5400 AIO / HP 17 ca1065cl
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz / Ryzen 5 3500u
Memory 16GB /12GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA MX 330 / Radeon Vega 8
Storage 1TB +SSD
Display(s) 23.8 inch touch screen 17.3 touch screen
Case DELL AIO / HP LAPTOP
Mouse Dell Wireless /LOGITECH
Keyboard Dell Wireless / HP LAPTOP
Software WINDOWS 11
Oh my gosh I didn't even know multiple CPU is possible. I heard of multiple cores and multiple hard drives.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Oh my gosh I didn't even know multiple CPU is possible. I heard of multiple cores and multiple hard drives.
Been around for like, as long as you've been alive. You're just always using normal consumer Dells.

Memory 16GB /12GB
Storage 1TB +SSD
Software WINDOWS 11
@Toothless I didn't always use Dell. I've had mostly HP I once had a Packard Bell and a Gateway and a Emachine in my life and a really old Macintosh Classic 2.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
@Toothless I didn't always use Dell. I've had mostly HP I once had a Packard Bell and a Gateway and a Emachine in my life and a really old Macintosh Classic 2.
I've only seen you use Dell, so eh. Multi socket been around forever so yeah.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Oh my gosh I didn't even know multiple CPU is possible.
As Toothless points out, they have been around, almost forever. Traditionally, they were only (but frequently) found in expensive servers in corporate, university/research (or government) networks.

Memory 16GB /12GB
Storage 1TB +SSD
Software WINDOWS 11
Wow that maybe the reason why I haven't seen it or heard of it. :laugh:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The first dual system I ever saw was 486 based. The next was Pentium Pro...
The cool thing about the dual-386 system was that it could run in in asynchronous mode, with two miss-matched processors. The place I worked had a Netware server that ran two 33MHz 386 processors, then we upgraded one of the processors to a 486 and it worked. Eventually the other 386 was replaced with another 486.

It would be cool if it still worked that way and we didn't need identical processors.

The cool thing about the dual-386 system was that it could run in in asynchronous mode, with two miss-matched processors. The place I worked had a Netware server that ran two 33MHz 386 processors, then we upgraded one of the processors to a 486 and it worked. Eventually the other 386 was replaced with another 486.
Wow! They did away with that by Pentium Pro. BITD I helped build a set of systems with them and it was very clearly stated in the documentation that the CPUs had to be a set matched pairs. According to Solaris above, the latest dual/quad systems can once again take different models and operate in an async mode. I've never actually seem a system that operates in an async mode..

Last edited: