• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question about my memory speed

System Name Dell Workstation t5810
Processor Xeon CPU's E5-2683 v4 Broadwell-E Technology
Motherboard Broadwell-E X99
Cooling Default fan System Level 3
Memory 48GB DDR4
Video Card(s) ASRock Vega 56 8GB
Storage 4 External SSD, 4 External HDD
Display(s) HP 27m LCD
Case Dell Precision 7810 Case
Audio Device(s) RealTek High Definition
Power Supply 825 Watts PSU
Mouse Soundless Black Quiet Mouse
Keyboard Dell Black
Software Windows Pro 10 x64
In my bios my memory speed is at 667mhz, but i notice when i removed 2 of my ram sticks and put in two of the same speeds its higher at 800mhz, but when i put the extra back in it drops back to 666mhz. I have 5 ddr2 memory sticks, two of them are the same, the other two are i believe over 500 something, and the last one is 667. Any idea how to increase the speed higher to 800mhz or i need to have all sticks running at the same speed. I'm just curious to why its dropping when i add the other two in.
https://s26.postimg.org/fbi70p1av/memory.png

When you mix and match sticks with different stock speeds the system downclocks the faster sticks to equal the slower ones.

Memory 48GB DDR4
Display(s) HP 27m LCD
Keyboard Dell Black
When you mix and match sticks with different stock speeds the system downclocks the faster sticks to equal the slower ones.

and this will decrease overall game performance?

It might. But you're probably going to be better off with more GBs than less GBs @ a faster speed. Kinda depends on the situation I guess. But that's generally the rule of thumb. More is more, less is less.

and this will decrease overall game performance?
every decrease is a decrease if you want to call it that

the question is at which point will it matter, a couple fps probably not

since you have working ram, you can always test for yourself on the games that you feel are important to not slow down

you are also free to overclock the slower sticks, by loosening the timings, ALL ram speeds are arbitrary, the manufacturer is simply stating they will run at whatever speed with whatever timings at whatever voltage on the sticker

EDIT: i dont have any information on whether it matters if you have increased voltage on the faster sticks (logically it doesnt matter), for example:

667mhz - 4-4-4 1.8v stock
800mhz - 5-5-5 1.8v stock

800mhz - 5-5-5 2v overclocked
800mhz - 5-5-5 2v stock speed but more voltage, within ddr spec of course

i'm pretty sure all sticks have to run with identical settings, unless there are some nice mobos that let you change voltage per slot?

EDIT2: doesnt 5 sticks mean it wont run dual channel?? you're already cutting performance... as is the slow cpu

Last edited:
System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
Memory 48GB DDR4
Display(s) HP 27m LCD
Keyboard Dell Black
best option will be to sell all of them and buy 2 stick(2*4Gb) of ddr 800 as your board support max 8 Gb

or keep the two 1Gb stick with 800 mhz ; sell the other 3 with lower mhz; buy another two 1 Gb stick ddr800...than you'll have 4 Gb

depend how much ram you need and wallet of-course but 4gb isn't so much....

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007611 600006107

I mention this in my other thread, that I'm having some odd issues with my computer, how i can run warframe at 1600x900 max settings and path of exlie in dx11 1600x900 max settings and still get 40-60fps easily. But i can't run simple games like crush online (50fps but moving in slow motion with massive sound static noises), ridge racer unbounded (15fps to 18fps, its like something is holding the performance back) and i am getting some nasty massive sound stuttering crackliing sounds. And recently in bioshock only at the menu i get these crackling static noises and in the bioshock videos, but once in the game there's no sound issues and its moving between 40-60fps easily. My motherboard isn't using full sata, its old ata channel dma ultra 6, so next month im upgrading to a newer motherboard.

I had a custom built rig early last year, same ram sticks, same gpu, same OS, instead of a xeon 3220, i had a q6600 same thing from my understanding and i never ever had any performance or sound issues. So i probably end up buying a HP MB or something else , but I'm staying away from cheap dells lol. I just ran into some money issues and wanted a computer, so paying 7 bucks for a old dell 745, you get what you buy. On the bright side Its only about 6 games atm i can't run, for the most part warframe runs perfect, path of exlie, and alot of my other games which im testing and videos 1080p or 1440p works flawless.

Cheers!

I mention this in my other thread, that I'm having some odd issues with my computer, how i can run warframe at 1600x900 max settings and path of exlie in dx11 1600x900 max settings and still get 40-60fps easily. But i can't run simple games like crush online (50fps but moving in slow motion with massive sound static noises), ridge racer unbounded (15fps to 18fps, its like something is holding the performance back) and i am getting some nasty massive sound stuttering crackliing sounds. And recently in bioshock only at the menu i get these crackling static noises and in the bioshock videos, but once in the game there's no sound issues and its moving between 40-60fps easily. My motherboard isn't using full sata, its old ata channel dma ultra 6, so next month im upgrading to a newer motherboard.

I had a custom built rig early last year, same ram sticks, same gpu, same OS, instead of a xeon 3220, i had a q6600 same thing from my understanding and i never ever had any performance or sound issues. So i probably end up buying a HP MB or something else , but I'm staying away from cheap dells lol. I just ran into some money issues and wanted a computer, so paying 7 bucks for a old dell 745, you get what you buy. On the bright side Its only about 6 games atm i can't run, for the most part warframe runs perfect, path of exlie, and alot of my other games which im testing and videos 1080p or 1440p works flawless.

Cheers!
all this is on a 550ti?

there is A LOT more to measure than only fps, we cant guess which component is the problem (if at all, if it's a driver issue) without measuring which components have high or unusual load readings

ram shouldnt make such a huge difference unless you're running out of it

Memory 48GB DDR4
Display(s) HP 27m LCD
Keyboard Dell Black
all this is on a 550ti?

there is A LOT more to measure than only fps, we cant guess which component is the problem (if at all, if it's a driver issue) without measuring which components have high or unusual load readings

ram shouldnt make such a huge difference unless you're running out of it

Well the ram isn't the issue, i was curious could it be a issue with the Mb i am using. I'm using the same ram sticks which i use in my other rig i had before it died. There was never any issues. Once i upgrade my mb soon and see how everything works out, and if everything works great again, i will update the thread about it. Peace

System Name Main / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X / Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Strix B550i / B450i Aorus Pro
Cooling Lian-Li Galahad 360 / Wraith Spire
Memory Corsair LPX 2x16 3600MHz / HyperX Predator 2x8GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 FE / ARC A380
Storage WD Black SN770 1TB / Sabrent Rocket 256GB
Display(s) Acer Z301c / 39" Panasonic HDTV
Case Corsair 2000D / Cougar QBX
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V379 / Realtek ALC1220
Power Supply Corsair SF600 / BeQuiet SFX Power 2 450W
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Drop Sense75 with WQ Studio Morandi's
VR HMD Rift S
Software Win 11 Pro 64Bit
I had audio crackling in Crysis Warhead for example, when I had my sound device set to 192KHz in the settings. When I dropped it down to 44.1 the crackling stopped. Try that.