• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question about RAM.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
I have a question that has been bugging me.
I notice that Intel XMP setting are now a "Norm" for Bios settings and RAM timings.
My question is this.
Are RAM / MB manufactures mainly focused on Intel CPU's and improving there performance?
I mean AMD seems to be always fighting for the same speed from the SAME RAM and most (IF not 80%) fall very short of the mark.
Yes I understand the analogy of the big boy gets all the attention but now I see Intel Inside with Intel logo on RAM boxes and MB Boxes Even on AMD MB's! and now even in the AMD MB BIOS, No AMD ready Nothing?

Is it just me or is this just marketing or is it in fact a form market manipulation from Intel. Huge company has huge fingers..
This would at least explain a few things for me.

intel inside.jpg

Last edited:
What do you mean it falls short of the mark?

The extremely high speed bins are only aimed at Intel because of their more mature IMC. AMD seemingly tops out at 3200 to 3600 for most, but it’s getting better as time goes on. I’ve seen a few running 4000 on AMD... but it’s incredibly difficult.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM

The extremely high speed bins are only aimed at Intel because of their more mature IMC. AMD seemingly tops out at 3200 to 3600 for most, but it’s getting better as time goes on. I’ve seen a few running 4000 on AMD... but it’s incredibly difficult.
Exactly my point.
Intel is the leader so the RAM and MB manufactures are AIMED / designing them around and specifically for Intel CPU's, AMD is the one that has to fight all the time.
Good thing AMD can keep up if Intel takes total control wee will all be feeling it.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
It's not really about being a leader or not. The Intel IMC is simply more capable right now. AMD IMCs cant reach Intel IMC speeds. The sticks and the profiles are not really the issue. There are several models across all brands which are for AMD. There not be as many but part of that is because they just cant run as fast. When you are missing the top 1/2 of speeds... kind of cuts off the chance.

Edit: stick to your motherboard qvl and it really doesnt matter what label is on the box. The mobo is certified to work with the sticks (assuming the IMC is capable).

Edit2: AMD has DOCP(asus) and EOCP(giga).

Last edited:
System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
Intel XMP (Intel Extreme Memory Profile) is an implementation designed to make it easy to set your RAM's overclock timings. It was initiated by Intel, in partnership with a number of RAM makers.
The system RAM defaults to a fail-safe default boot setting at first system start-up. These timings are typically very conservative.
After enabling The XMP profile built into your RAM sticks, the manufacturer's known best settings for your particular RAM are applied for the next system boot.
"Known best" takes into consideration many brands of motherboards and CPU combinations as further manual tweaking can get better results with a little trial and error.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I honestly never use XMP :D

Gotta have some fun.. overclocking isn't nearly as fun as it used to be. ;)

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I was just thinking (smell smoke?)... wouldn't a motherboard manufacturer, one who sells both AMD and Intel systems (Asus, giga, msi, asrock) be shooting themselves in the foot if they only focused or focused primarily on Intel? Sure, Intel has XMP, but how does this affect AMD? AMD, the board and memory partners work together for compatibility, just as Intel does. Board and memory makers want AMD users to use their boards and sticks, right?

To me, the reality is that if the IMC of the AMD CPU could manage higher speeds, those board partners would do their best to support the highest speed possible. They current;y ARE doing their best to support the highest speed possible. Don't let the cart go before the horse...it isn't really up to the board or memory partners. Ryzen IMC's will really only do, for the most part, up to 3600 MHz whereas Intel 24/7 is up to that 4000+ range (beyond 3600 for AMD and 4000+ for Intel is sketch). So again, AMD certified RAM is missing all the options above 3600 for all intents and purposes so it appears that "AMD RAM" is limited in comparison, but its more a lower ceiling limiting the choice than it is big bad intel or anything else.

Trickson - ...what exact model GSkill sticks do you have, btw?

las

System Name Obsolete / Waiting for Zen 5 or Arrow Lake
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.2 GHz @ 1.35v / No AVX Offset
Motherboard AsRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 4000/CL15
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 280 Hz + 77" QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX / Upgraded Op-Amps
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Even 3600 is difficult unless you slack on the timings alot. 3466/CL14 is best case atm.