• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question About Res Proximity To Rad Fans

System Name Built By Me
Processor Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.1 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
Cooling Custom Water Cooling - CPU Only
Memory 32GB (2 x 16) GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 - ASUS ROG Strix 16GB OC - P Mode
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF @ 280 Hz @ 1440P
Case Fractal Design Define S2
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso Pro
Power Supply 850W Seasonic Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper V2 Pro @ 2k Hz
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope II 96 Wireless - ROG NX Snow Switches
Software Windows 11 Pro
Do you guys think placing my reservoir this close to the output of the radiator fans will cause a problem with thermals or air reversion?

IMG_20190109_065850.jpg

IMG_20190109_065930.jpg

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
In water cooling setups the water temperature reaches an equilibrium within a few minutes anyway, so short answer is no, not a great deal.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Airflow left to right ? past res and then thru rad ?
should not make any difference ( just keep an eye on them )

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Will be perfectly fine, I've got two systems set up with the pump/res up front and no issues, seen quite a lot of other builds using that location.

Looks like you have it set to bring the warm air through the case, which will make the gpu a little warmer unless you plan to add that to the loop.
It might be worth flipping all the fans and pushing the warm air through the front as Dorsetknob says, although my latest build brings the warm air through the case and vrm/ssd temps are fine so not a big deal either way imo.

Enjoy the build :rockout:

System Name Built By Me
Software Windows 11 Pro
Sorry, I should have said, airflow if you are looking at the pictures is going from right to left. The front of the case is at the right, I just have the front cover off right now. The fans are set up to pull air through the radiator and send the air leftward, towards the motherboard/GPU, etc... I was just worried about placing the res where it is currently.

Dear God, son, what is this penispump in your computer?!

Just joking of course.

The only problem I'd see, though I am just a new guy, is that your pump is cilindrical, but seeing you have the noctua's, I don't think the airflow will break, and get caught in a loop between the penispump and the fans, though theoretically, it could decrease the efficiency.

Yours faithfully,
PsychoCaseFansCocainCrazy

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Only way it may affect it at all is for the res to interfere with airflow to or from the fans and I don't see that happening with your setup.
It's good to go as shown.

Only way it may affect it at all is for the res to interfere with airflow to or from the fans and I don't see that happening with your setup.
It's good to go as shown.

I don't know what res is, but pushing air against cilindrical objects, or pushing cilindrical objects against air, can have some 'odd' effects. Seeing he wants to direct his airflow towards a certain direction, the cilindrical object is something to think about. Especially if there isn't enough pressure in the airflow to push through curling effect that comes with pushing air against cilindrical objects.

One might imagine a modernday train, or car. Basically the same thing happens, except that the cilindrical object (round shapes, as modern cars and trains have) moves towards the air, instead of the otherway around. In this case, the air try's to curl inward behind the object, a car for example, and the flow will dissipate behind the car, meaning the air will become largely immobile again.

In case of a train, which is too long for the air to curl behind it, it will instead curl next to it, and against it, causing all the energy to release alongside the train, hence a train passing on a station at high speed can ruin your valuable 'waiting for the train'-cigarette.

If the temperature is a problematic issue, I wouldn't leave anything between the fans and the hotzone. If OP is not trying to solve a hotzone with his airflow, I wouldn't worry about it, either.

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
Do you guys think placing my reservoir this close to the output of the radiator fans will cause a problem with thermals or air reversion?

I have mine mounted exactly like yours and so far not issues at all and if you have noticed my Reservoir is even bigger

20181222_194205.jpg

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
I don't know what res is, but pushing air against cilindrical objects, or pushing cilindrical objects against air, can have some 'odd' effects. Seeing he wants to direct his airflow towards a certain direction, the cilindrical object is something to think about. Especially if there isn't enough pressure in the airflow to push through curling effect that comes with pushing air against cilindrical objects.

One might imagine a modernday train, or car. Basically the same thing happens, except that the cilindrical object (round shapes, as modern cars and trains have) moves towards the air, instead of the otherway around. In this case, the air try's to curl inward behind the object, a car for example, and the flow will dissipate behind the car, meaning the air will become largely immobile again.

In case of a train, which is too long for the air to curl behind it, it will instead curl next to it, and against it, causing all the energy to release alongside the train, hence a train passing on a station at high speed can ruin your valuable 'waiting for the train'-cigarette.

If the temperature is a problematic issue, I wouldn't leave anything between the fans and the hotzone. If OP is not trying to solve a hotzone with his airflow, I wouldn't worry about it, either.

In the pic he posted it appears the res isn't in the way of airflow to or from the fans, it's off to the side and that's why I don't believe he'll have any problems with it as shown.
If it really is in the way that would create airflow problems or odd effects as you've said, no denying that but I believe he's OK.

System Name Built By Me
Software Windows 11 Pro
In the pic he posted it appears the res isn't in the way of airflow to or from the fans, it's off to the side and that's why I don't believe he'll have any problems with it as shown.
If it really is in the way that would create airflow problems or odd effects as you've said, no denying that but I believe he's OK.

I see now that my pictures from that angle are quite confusing. I should state that there really isn't much room where I have the reservoir and radiator. The reservoir is not off to the side, it is indeed in line with the radiator. The output from the fans will definitely be interacting with body of the reservoir/pump.

As much as I hate to do it, I might just have to concede and top-mount my radiator if the body of the res will interfere with the output of the fans from the radiator.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
not really. the air will go around it, any push-back wouldn't be noticeable.

If you really want to avoid it then mount in push, that way there is even less chance (but cleaning rad is a pain). Is that the new A series fan from noctua?

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
I see now that my pictures from that angle are quite confusing. I should state that there really isn't much room where I have the reservoir and radiator. The reservoir is not off to the side, it is indeed in line with the radiator. The output from the fans will definitely be interacting with body of the reservoir/pump.

As much as I hate to do it, I might just have to concede and top-mount my radiator if the body of the res will interfere with the output of the fans from the radiator.
In that case Psycho is right, you will have some odd airflow effects happening, do as you must to resolve it is all I can say at this point.

System Name Built By Me
Software Windows 11 Pro
not really. the air will go around it, any push-back wouldn't be noticeable.

If you really want to avoid it then mount in push, that way there is even less chance (but cleaning rad is a pain). Is that the new A series fan from noctua?

They are those new fans. NF-A12x25, 2000 rpm.