• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question about some Corsair cables I received.

Starvel

I have a cx650 semi-modular power supply, but I recently got a used gtx1080 as an upgrade. I needed 2 pcie cables with 8 to 6+2 pin. I received these ones from Corsair that say TXM/HX/AXi only. Will these still work? Or do I need type 3?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
This is what sucks about modular PSUs. There is no industry standard dictating the PSU end of the cables. :( :mad: :mad: :mad: :(

Because there is no industry standard, you cannot be certain they are compatible and so mixing and matching cables from different supplies is not advisable. In fact, I tell my clients to make sure they store unused cables from each PSU in a separate zip-lock bag, label it with the drive maker and specific model number, then store it separately. This can be a real PITA if you have many PCs with different PSUs you are responsible for.

Sadly, this is even a problem within the same brand. This is because most PSU makers, including Corsair, do NOT make their own PSUs. They outsource the manufacturing to various OEM suppliers. This means it is very likely a PSU in the CX series from Corsair is made by one maker, and a PSU from the AXi series is made by a different maker. And so it is very possible the cables are NOT interchangeable. :(

If you are adept with a multimeter and know the various pinouts, you might be able to verify compatibility (assuming the connectors physically fit properly). But if me, I would contact Corsair tech support again and verify - and take names.

Starvel

Ok thanks

This is what sucks about modular PSUs. There is no industry standard dictating the PSU end of the cables. :( :mad: :mad: :mad: :(

Because there is no industry standard, you cannot be certain they are compatible and so mixing and matching cables from different supplies is not advisable. In fact, I tell my clients to make sure they store unused cables from each PSU in a separate zip-lock bag, label it with the drive maker and specific model number, then store it separately. This can be a real PITA if you have many PCs with different PSUs you are responsible for.

Sadly, this is even a problem within the same brand. This is because most PSU makers, including Corsair, do NOT make their own PSUs. They outsource the manufacturing to various OEM suppliers. This means it is very likely a PSU in the CX series from Corsair is made by one maker, and a PSU from the AXi series is made by a different maker. And so it is very possible the cables are NOT interchangeable. :(

If you are adept with a multimeter and know the various pinouts, you might be able to verify compatibility (assuming the connectors physically fit properly). But if me, I would contact Corsair tech support again and verify - and take names.
ok so unless I test the cables with a multimeter, I should not use them... and basically there is no way to get the exact cables? Or can I

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I think elghinnaris' link (an excellent find, BTW) shows which cables are interchangeable with which supplies and it is probably safe to follow that chart.

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
Doesn't the CX650 have two 6+2-Pin PCIe connectors in the wiring coming out of the case?

You may be able to find the correct cables used on Ebay. Also, do a Google search. When I got a used AX1200i a few years ago some of the cables were missing. I have a stash of HX cables and all but the 24 pin were compatible. Corsair was out of stock on them but after much searching on Google I found an office supply store that had the correct cable at 1/2 of Corsair's price. In my experience trying to locate that cable I discovered in some cases buying a new power supply can be less expensive in the long run then getting aftermarket cables. I only paid $50 for the AX1200i but the 24 pin cable alone cost me $20 including shipping (and they were the only place that had an OEM Corsair AX1200i 24 pin cable in stock).