1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question on Overclocking p4 2.6ghz Northwood

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by joker72, Nov 2, 2008.

1. joker72 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got a question... what is DRAM Frequency, CPU Host Frequency, and DRAM Voltage in BIOS? How do use it to overclock my CPU? I have an Intel P4 2.6ghz Northwood, and i have an ASUS P4V8X-MX Motherboard with 1024mb of RAM.

PS: CpuHost frequency is at standard (100)
    and my DRAM Voltage is set to Normal.

PLEASE REPLY

2. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    cpu host frequency is the front side bus.. it controls the speed of everything.

dram frequency is the speed of your ram

dram voltage is the volage supplied to the ram.. don't change this.

3. NastyHabits

NastyHabits

Thanks Received:
    You probably won't be able to overclock that motherboard. The VIA chipset is not conducive to overclocking. I have a similar motherboard (ASUS P4V8X-X, basically the same board only full size ATX), and there is no way to lock the video frequency. So, all but the most minimal and inconsequential overclock can be attempted without locking, freezing, or crashing the system.

I've only kept this system around because (at stock settings) it's reliable and it has important info (banking, etc) that I don't want to loose during my various overclocking misadventures I may embark on with my other PC's.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    ouch.. if it doesn't lock in the pci e frequency, then you'll have to pin mod to get a boost

5. joker72 New Member

Thanks Received:
    so i cant overclock in BIOS?.... because i watched a movie on [youtube of a guy i think that have a similar motherboard to mine and same cpu and ram and he upped the front side bus. I didnt want to try it because im not sure what to set it?

6. NastyHabits

NastyHabits

Thanks Received:
    I'm hardly a world authority on overclocking. I'm only relating what I've read on this and other boards, and my from my own experience.

But if you want to try, go into your bios and in the Advanced tap, open CPU Settings and raise the CPU host setting 1 MHz at a time.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you dont even know what DRAM frequency is, you really, REALLY should reasearch this stuff a lot more before attempting it yourself.

I beleive we have some overclocking guides here on TPU, you really should go look into it.

10 Year Member at TPU