• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question on raid using intel chipset

Maintainin

Hi all,

I plan on doing an upgrade of my pc this weekend. Among the things I'm upgrading is a new MB, a Z77 extreme9 from Asrock. Also adding a transcend 240gb ssd as well as going to windows 8. I plan on using the ssd as the OS drive. I have a few 1tb hard drives laying around and figured I'd try out installing these in raid 0. Here's my sata config for this motherboard:

Sata ports controlled by Intel chipset:
2 x sata3 6.0gbps ports(plan on putting the ssd on one of these.
4 x sata2 3.0gps ports(want to put the 1tb drives on this in raid 0)

Asmedia controller:
4 x sata3 6.0gbps ports(useless to me in what I want to do because it can't do raid)

So my question is....I'm going to have to put the intel ports into raid mode in the bios. How will that effect that lone ssd drive on the intel chipset that isn't raided? Can I leave that there by itself, install the OS on it, and have it function as a single disk while also being able to raid 0 the other three hard drives? I hope what I'm asking makes sense. Thanks!

lyndonguitar

I play games
System Name X6 | Lyndon-ROG
Processor Intel Core i7-8700k | Intel Core i7 6700HQ
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 | Asus ROG-GL552VX
Cooling Deepcool Captain 240EX
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED | 8 GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB
Storage SSDs: 500GB, HDDs: 2TB, 2TB, 3TB | SSD: 250GB, HDD: 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" CHG90 3840x1080@144Hz, Panasonic 32" HDTV, | 15.6"1080p
Case Cougar Panzer Max
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II | Corsair Gaming H1500 7.1 | ROCCAT Kave 5.1 | Edifier M3200
Power Supply EVGA 750GQ
Mouse Logitech G403 | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Logitech G302 | Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 5
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Red
Software Windows 10
Can I leave that there by itself, install the OS on it, and have it function as a single disk while also being able to raid 0 the other three hard drives? I hope what I'm asking makes sense. Thanks!

Yes

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
I would advise that you image the OS SSD drive first with out the other hard drives being connected. Then after the OS is installed add the other hard drives and set up Raid0 in bios for them.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Or at least don't set up the array in BIOS until after. And unplug your boot SSD just in case.

Maintainin

I would advise that you image the OS SSD drive first with out the other hard drives being connected. Then after the OS is installed add the other hard drives and set up Raid0 in bios for them.

OK, so should I set it to AHCI in the bios, load the OS on the ssd, image it, change to raid in the bios and then add the raid array......

Or set it to raid in the bios right off the bat, load the OS onto the SSD and image, and then do the raid array?

Appreciate the replies!

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Uh good question...I am not super experienced with this but have started messing with it of late and recently did do this with a similar setup for testing RAID and I believe you will want to set it to RAID right off the bat. Maybe you don't NEED to but I am pretty sure it's the safest bet as you would be ultimately changing it to RAID later. Single disk in "RAID" setting will work just the same as in AHCI.

Maintainin

Well it was pretty easy. I hooked up all the drives and put the chipset into raid mode in the bios, installed the OS on the ssd and then simply went into the intel rapid storage utility and created the raid. Works like a charm. Now for some benchmarking.

I'm going to do some benchmarking with this config and then I'm going to undo the intel raid and use windows 8 raid utility and see how they compare.

Maintainin

Interesting numbers comparing the intel raid performance and windows raid performance. Not much of a difference at using either for Raid 0. But seeing as the intel raid really is just a software raid like the windows raid it shouldn't be surprising.

Using crystal disk as benchmark:

Intel raid 0= 405mbps read, 365 write

Windows raid0= 399mbps read, 376 write

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Well "Intel raid" in this context is the same hard hardware (from Intel) but updating the drivers (from Intel). So yeah should perform a little better. The stock one from MS that installs with 7 is from like 2006.

Not bad numbers there. What drives are those exactly and how many in your array?

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Any idea what those drives get alone?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Any idea what those drives get alone?

Specs call for 130-140MB/s. RE4 support TLER and a lot of nifty raid-friendly features. First of all, I'm surprised no one has said this yet. Since you have an SSD already I would strongly recommend not using RAID-0 because your chances of losing your raid just increased by 200% because you have no redundancy. If your 1Tb are going to be storage, I highly recommend running RAID-5. That way if a drive fails you don't lose all of your stuff and you can run with a drive short (don't do this for a long time or you'll regret it.)

RAID-5 in comparison to RAID-0 has slower write speeds (because of parity,) but almost equal read speeds since parity is skipped if your raid isn't degraded. Additionally you lose 1Tb for parity on RAID-5, which isn't as bad as RAID-0 where you have zero redundancy. You may want to do what I'm doing right now with my own machine, running RAID-0 for boot/windows and RAID-5 for files and storage.

I uploaded some pictures of my RAID configuration if you're at all interested.

Edit: Also, if you're going to enable write-back cache, make sure you have a UPS so you can safely shutdown before you really lose power. This is more important for RAID-0 than RAID-5 but it isn't good for a machine to stop in the middle of a cached write anyways. Added a picture of AIDA's UPS readout as well.

Attachments

• raid.jpg
    raid.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 345
  • raid-0.jpg
    raid-0.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 348
  • raid-5.jpg
    raid-5.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 312
  • ups.PNG
    ups.PNG
    151.5 KB · Views: 348

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Yeah I thought he was just "messing" with RAID 0...don't store anything important on such an array, at least longer-term.

Also, as I am converting my P55 box into a home test server I am suddenly a lot more interested in storage-related things than before. Thus, have only recently started playing with Intel RST and I notice I cannot actually create or manage any volumes in it (just see info). Is this because my controller is not set to RAID at present?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Also, as I am converting my P55 box into a home test server I am suddenly a lot more interested in storage-related things than before. Thus, have only recently started playing with Intel RST and I notice I cannot actually create or manage any volumes in it (just see info). Is this because my controller is not set to RAID at present?

Yes, it needs to load the RAID OPROM before RST or RSTe can change anything because it has no ability to change BIOS settings for AHCI or IDE.

Maintainin

Specs call for 130-140MB/s. RE4 support TLER and a lot of nifty raid-friendly features. First of all, I'm surprised no one has said this yet. Since you have an SSD already I would strongly recommend not using RAID-0 because your chances of losing your raid just increased by 200% because you have no redundancy. If your 1Tb are going to be storage, I highly recommend running RAID-5. That way if a drive fails you don't lose all of your stuff and you can run with a drive short (don't do this for a long time or you'll regret it.)

RAID-5 in comparison to RAID-0 has slower write speeds (because of parity,) but almost equal read speeds since parity is skipped if your raid isn't degraded. Additionally you lose 1Tb for parity on RAID-5, which isn't as bad as RAID-0 where you have zero redundancy. You may want to do what I'm doing right now with my own machine, running RAID-0 for boot/windows and RAID-5 for files and storage.

I uploaded some pictures of my RAID configuration if you're at all interested.

Edit: Also, if you're going to enable write-back cache, make sure you have a UPS so you can safely shutdown before you really lose power. This is more important for RAID-0 than RAID-5 but it isn't good for a machine to stop in the middle of a cached write anyways. Added a picture of AIDA's UPS readout as well.

I appreciate the concern, but yeah I already know all about that. This is just a little experimenting. I actually have a separate NAS in raid 5 built from an old pc that I use for the stuff I really cant afford to lose.