1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question on viruses and documents

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Hybrid_theory, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    I've got a laptop which is riddled with viruses. The principal wants it cleaned, but would like some documents off it if possible. Now the documents may or may not have viruses on them.

Im wondering if i boot off a linux live cd and mount the ntfs filesystem to copy them, if that gets around that risk or not.

2. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    One of the computers was infected with Internet security essentials 2010. Which has a file in the system32 folder. and its more of a trojan, so dont know if that would copy over USB.

the other laptop which i got from my principal, he said was filled with viruses. But it just blue screens when i try and boot it, so i copied the files and its just in recovery mode from IBM, installing Windows and such.

3. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Print this and give it to him/her. What you need is MalwareBytes. That will get ride of most if not all of the issues.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i did manage to find instructions on that after i ran the recovery process on the laptop. Which formats the drive then installs Windows. The teacher who had that installed wanted it fully cleaned.

I did use malware bytes on one of these before with that. And after the laptop was still sketchy. its possible cause i didnt follow that to a T, and just ran it under safe mode that it didnt clean everything.

5. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Yeah you gotta follow that to T. That's a nasty virus that prevents updates for normal antivirus program, etc. I had to use those instructions on a relative's computer and it got rid of the virus. There are a few sets of instructions. I gave you the wrong one. I used the one here.

Hybrid_theory says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that was the one i found actually. i bookmarked it in case this thing shows up again.

Anyway, if any1 can provide some insight on the condition of the files that ive copied over to USB on a Linux cd would be great. Otherwise ill just tell the teacher/principal to be careful using these USB sticks.

7. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Yeah their rkill.com program really does the trick to unlocking that virus so that you can start the process of deleting it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Booting to another OS does not get around the virus danger, by the way. As soon as you move those docs back to a MS OS and open them up, you'll re-infect that PC with that particular virus. The viruses need to be removed from that PC and those docs. If the laptop is seriously infected, just reformt/reload it and then individually disinfect the doc files.

Hybrid_theory says thanks.
  9. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    Ok, how would you recommend disinfecting the doc files. dont exactly wanna stick this on my laptop.

10. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Once the virus is removed just use a reputable antivirus program like AVG. I suggest AVG because it does check usb devices for viruses automatically once you stick the usb drive into the usb port.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    AVG was on this computer when it got infected. I cleaned this one a month ago or so. Put the latest avg on it. and yeah got infected. so putting avast on this time

12. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    As with any antivirus program you have to keep it updated. By using AVG it actually prevented that virus from infecting my PC. I know AVG works so there is no question that it would help prevent that particular virus.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    Avira Ftw!!!!!