• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question Red CPU and Orange DRAM light

kyos

hi
i build a new pc and when i started it for the first time i had ram installed in A2 and B2 slots as advised but i got a fast red cpu light then a longer orange dram light and they keep cycling like that A2+B2 then i tried with only one ram stick in each slot and when i put it in the A1 and A2 it blinks fast red cpu then it stays a constant orange dram lightA1+A2 but when i put it in the B1 and the B2 it does a fast red cpu then a couple of secs of orange dram light then it turns off for a seconds and i get a white vga light then a green boot light after secs B1+B2and i get image and everything works well i updated the bios then installed windows 10 and installed cpu and gpu drivers .
then after that this is what i tried :
  • replugged psu connectors and changed their psu slots
  • reseated cpu
  • removed all unnecessary cables
but still the same . i wanted to ask if anyone knows anything else i can test before returning the motherboard beacause i think it is the problem. notes :
1-when i open then task manager it is detecting the other 2 slots A1 and A2
2- i tried with 3 rams B1+B2+A2 and i git the cycling red cpu then orange dram light like in A2+B2
3- one time i forgot to plug the 8+4 motherboard connector and it didnt give me image ofc but there was no orange dram light even tho it was A2+B2 slots installed.
specs:
mb : asus tuf gaming z690
cpu : i5 12600k
psu : asus rog strix 1000w

With Ryzen systems sometimes weird detection memory issues are caused by cooler being too tight, or uneven, though you did say you'd changed it at least once. It could be worth a try, even though it's an Intel build, if you have the kind of cooler that is manually tightened.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that B1 and B2 works, but no other combination? So, only one channel?

What's the memory, by the way?

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
check your motherboard manual or go toasus website support. that orange light is the memOK - staying on is trying to train w/ram. sometimes it will reboot while trying.

if you're having a fail - it points to the ram being bad.

what is it?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
With Ryzen systems sometimes weird detection memory issues are caused by cooler being too tight, or uneven, though you did say you'd changed it at least once. It could be worth a try, even though it's an Intel build, if you have the kind of cooler that is manually tightened.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that B1 and B2 works, but no other combination? So, only one channel?

This is not an Amd only problem, Intel LGA 775-LGA 1700 exhibit the same exact problem if the heatsink is too tight.

I think the ram is a dud.

Best thing to do is get to shop and have ram tested.

kyos

yes B1 and B2 only working without dram problem.

i have 2x 16gb 3600hz corsair vengeance Lpx.

check your motherboard manual or go toasus website support. that orange light is the memOK - staying on is trying to train w/ram. sometimes it will reboot while trying.

if you're having a fail - it points to the ram being bad.

what is it?
nothing about it in this mb manual it's more of an installation guide

motherboard is : ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4

This is not an Amd only problem, Intel LGA 775-LGA 1700 exhibit the same exact problem if the heatsink is too tight.

I think the ram is a dud.

Best thing to do is get to shop and have ram tested.
tried with a different ram and same problem so it's not the ram.

Another possibility to only one channel is a broken pin, but I assume you checked that when you reseated the CPU. No thermal paste on the underside of the CPU too.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD

i have 2x 16gb 3600hz corsair vengeance Lpx.

nothing about it in this mb manual it's more of an installation guide

motherboard is : ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4

tried with a different ram and same problem so it's not the ram.

Check orientation of cpu, check lga pins, clear cmos.

kyos

Another possibility to only one channel is a broken pin, but I assume you checked that when you reseated the CPU. No thermal paste on the underside of the CPU too.
yeah when i reseated the cpu i didnt see broken pins

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD

fourital

For anyone that is still having this problem after like hours of troubleshooting:

First I followed basically every single step I found online except checking my power supply. I had just updated to am5 so I have a new cpu, ram, and mobo which means that I cannot swap parts out to test them.

I took out the right stick of ram so I was left with one stick, still nothing happened. I used compressed air on the slots and used a paper towel and 70% isopropyl alcohol on the ram stick connectors then plugged the stick into the slot that gave me the error code (orange, then red, then white) and it BOOTED.

tldr: use compressed air on the slots and 70% isopropyl + paper towel on the dram pin contact area. and pray that your boot led turns green. If it does and you get a thing that says "New CPU installed, fTPM/PSP NV corrupted or fTPM/PSP NV structure changed." just press Y (worked for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).

If this doesn't work then good luck soldier o7

ir_cow

Staff member
@fourital shouldn't have to do any of those steps unless it's a old dirty motherboard. If it a brand new one and these steps are required, send it back because something is very wrong.