• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question regarding CPU-z

T

TechnicalFreak

Hi

I downloaded the latest version of CPU-z.

According to it , I get two values. Now, I have heard from so many sources that I do NOT have Dual Channel (fine with me). But what I want to know is -why- two different values.
Take a look:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/roger_of_sweden/cpu-z.jpg

The one column that is marked up with light green, is the BIOS settings I have set myself (according to Elixir's database this should be correct). And at POST it say 400Mhz.

So the column marked up in lightred (almost pink) why does that show up??

According to ASUS : "The Socket754 doesn't support dual channel, however the CPU does". I don't get it :confused: , and it should infact say 333Mhz and that confuses me even more.. ever since I bought it it has NEVER (excuse me for shouting) ever shown 333Mhz at POST. Until some idiot (me!) tried to ASUS Update-winflash-gone terribly wrong tried to act smart :banghead:

membreya

It's just the SPD values for the RAM (Serial Presence Detect) ie the settings that will always be associated with your RAM. It's just show what values the RAM would be running if it were at 166MHz

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
The Socket754 doesn't support dual channel, however the CPU does

Man, that makes me mad right there! Why in the hell would AMD do this?!

Just venting here but doesn't that seem ironic?

Mandown

System Name Rusty Black Dragon <> Spider-Dragon <> Raging Theatah
Processor Phenom II X4 940BE 3.6 <> Phenom X4 9850BE 3.1 <> Phenom II X3^4 740BE 3.75
Motherboard MSI K9A2 Platinum <> MSI K9A2-CF V2 <> ASUS M4A785-M
Cooling ZEROTherm Nirvana <> 2x AC Freezer 64 pro
Memory 4Gb G-skill ripjaws @1200Mhz 5-5-5-18 <> 4Gb - G-skills 1066Mhz <> 4Gb - G-skills 1066Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 4850 X2 <> HIS 3850 TurboX <> HIS 4670
Storage WD 750GB Caviar Black <> Western Digital 640GB <> 300GB Maxtor + 500GB Seagate
Display(s) Hanns-G 28" HG281D 1080p <> Acer 22" X223W <> LG 42" LCD 720p
Case Antec Twelve-Hundred <> NZXT Apollo Black <> NZXT Apollo Orange
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy-Logitech Z-5300e <> Diamond Xtreme 5.1 <> 4670 HD Audio
Power Supply Cosair 850w<> Ultra LSP 750w <> Antec 650w Trio-power
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Its all good don't worry about, i get that with my 512mb sticks as well.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO v2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750 XT
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB, various other SSD's from ages past
Display(s) LG 27GL850 1440@144, AG Neovo EM2701QC 1440@75
Case Zophos EVO Silent by Raijintek
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Wireless headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse ProtoArc EM01
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury
Software Windows 11 Pro
The one column that is marked up with light green, is the BIOS settings I have set myself (according to Elixir's database this should be correct). And at POST it say 400Mhz.

So the column marked up in lightred (almost pink) why does that show up??

According to ASUS : "The Socket754 doesn't support dual channel, however the CPU does". I don't get it :confused: , and it should infact say 333Mhz and that confuses me even more.. ever since I bought it it has NEVER (excuse me for shouting) ever shown 333Mhz at POST. Until some idiot (me!) tried to ASUS Update-winflash-gone terribly wrong tried to act smart :banghead:

Most DDR memory has a couple of settings, they're different steps that can be set. The number you seen at post is a result of the DDR in effect. Your 200mhz speed doubled, or now rather, the 166mhz doubled to 333mhz.

Dual-channel doesn't have anything to do with it however. Dual channel is a benefit of two separate memory banks running in tandem and splitting the workload evenly, thereby increasing overall bandwidth. Like your HD's being in a RAID configuration. However the dual-channel AMD solution (when your board was made) was only 2% to 5% faster at the same speed than the single-channel 754 solutions. Not really a big deal as it's a REALLY small difference.

If you're still posting at 333, and you can see the 200mhz speed in Cpuz, go into your bios, you should be able to adjust your speed there. When you flash bios it pretty much gets rid of any and all settings you made yourself. No reason not to go back and do it again.

Last edited:
T

TechnicalFreak

Man, that makes me mad right there! Why in the hell would AMD do this?!

Just venting here but doesn't that seem ironic?

And they also claim that it is models after K8 that have support for Dual Channel. And some of them mobo's are even worse than mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TechnicalFreak

Most DDR memory has a couple of settings, they're different steps that can be set. The number you seen at post is a result of the DDR in effect. Your 200mhz speed doubled, or now rather, the 166mhz doubled to 333mhz.

Dual-channel doesn't have anything to do with it however. Dual channel is a benefit of two separate memory banks running in tandem and splitting the workload evenly, thereby increasing overall bandwidth. Like your HD's being in a RAID configuration. However the dual-channel AMD solution (when your board was made) was only 2% to 5% faster at the same speed than the single-channel 754 solutions. Not really a big deal as it's a REALLY small difference.

If you're still posting at 333, and you can see the 200mhz speed in Cpuz, go into your bios, you should be able to adjust your speed there. When you flash bios it pretty much gets rid of any and all settings you made yourself. No reason not to go back and do it again.

It's not posting 333 anymore. It did it for 2 reasons:
1.Latest BIOS by ASUS for the K8N-E Deluxe is wrong.
2.Something DID happen to my BIOS, but it's ok now. It's set to 200 (and shows 400Mhz at post :confused: ). I have ordered some spare EEPROM's just in case I want to mess things up again.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
How did you get it working again?

T

TechnicalFreak

How did you get it working again?

Went back to same place where I bought the mobo from (they only sell computer related stuff). They have this thing that looks like a copy machine, you take 1 EEPROM (with latest BIOS) and an empty EEPROM. I gave them my EEPROM, they erased it fully (I guess..) and loaded the 1.009 BIOS into the EEPROM. Went home, installed it , booted successfully.

Rather funny tho , that a company like ASUS sometimes don't know wtf they are doing.. I mean, how smart is it to release a BIOS, that is even non beta (1011 version) and it doesn't work properly..

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
the 166 is just in case a board does not support DDR400 it goes back and uses the spd data for 333

as for dual channel socket 754 itself will not support it nor will the cpu/mobo the socket is just not set up to use dual channel

T

TechnicalFreak

the 166 is just in case a board does not support DDR400 it goes back and uses the spd data for 333

as for dual channel socket 754 itself will not support it nor will the cpu/mobo the socket is just not set up to use dual channel

True, but the BIOS (both 1011 and the Beta) did same thing over and over again except for the memory thing: It made my system from 2Ghz to 800Mhz. Even if I did the settings manually it changed it back somehow. And I know it wasn't the battery, I changed it just a year ago..

What I do know now is : 1. Do -NOT- use the ASUS update. 2.You can easily update the BIOS by renaming the latest *.rom to "K8NE.rom" and put it on a disk. 3.The backup for the original BIOS is always on the CD. I learn something new everyday.....