• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question since the beginning...GPU

Hey

I am well aware of the countless of threads asking the question: "How to use GPU with WCG?" and "When will it be available?"

But yeah...I am asking this again in the one place I believe an sincere answer can be given with up to date facts.

Also after setting up 2 additional servers with nvidia cards I am really anxious about this.

Cheers

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
Unfortunately, the video card support for World Community Grid stopped 2 or 3 years ago with no support in site.

Every one of us that crunch for Team TPU wishes the same thing. LOL. It was awesome when video cards were able to crunch, however, it was short-lived and pretty much just a test.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
There's always folding@home :)

System Name octo1
Processor dual Xeon 2687W ES
Motherboard Supermicro
Cooling dual Noctua NH-D14
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
We all feel your pain @Chubfish. It does indeed suck that no more projects have come along to offer gpu support. Personally I think the reason for this is that few projects have dedicated developers. I don't know this for a fact but that's my guess. I think you probably have people who are primarily researchers doing the software development so they're not really current with new developments like HPC with GPGPUs.

Also the line I keep hearing from others at the WCG forum is that not every project is amenable to using the gpu approach. I don't really get the specifics of why that is and I don't really like taking it on faith, but that seems to be the consensus even from the admins and techs at WCG.

Thank you guys for the responses! My brain is going "Hey if Einstein@home and others can do it why not WCG?" , with that in mind shouldn't IBM be able to get this GPU show on the road? :)

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I've been running Einstein@home for a couple of years and have noticed they haven't used GPU for a while too.
I did turn of GPU usage for a while due to heat and power, but tried it again to find it wasn't running.

System Name octo1
Processor dual Xeon 2687W ES
Motherboard Supermicro
Cooling dual Noctua NH-D14
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
Thank you guys for the responses! My brain is going "Hey if Einstein@home and others can do it why not WCG?" , with that in mind shouldn't IBM be able to get this GPU show on the road? :)
I don't know the intimate details of how new projects get launched but it's my understanding that WCG is mostly passive when it comes this. IOW they have to wait for researchers to come to them with project proposals and then the project has to satisfy a variety of criteria including things like having enough work to keep the huge collection of machines running WCG busy for at least a few months. That alone is no small requirement.

Personally, I'd like to see WCG put ads in publications like Science and Nature to attract new projects. At one point I even looked into what such advertising would cost. It's not a lot of money to run a small ad but I don't think IBM gives them enough funding to such things. I guess we should be grateful that IBM supports the project at all but I hate to see their not giving WCG the money they need to really be first rate.

I've been running Einstein@home for a couple of years and have noticed they haven't used GPU for a while too.
I did turn of GPU usage for a while due to heat and power, but tried it again to find it wasn't running.

I am able to use GPU with Einstein actually :)