• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Questions about removing a bad HDD

I have two storages, my 512 GB SSD (C: ) for my OS, and my 1TB HDD (D: )for games and anything else. My 1TB HDD is the issue here.

I bought this HDD brand new 5 years ago for my gaming PC, and now the HDD is no longer accessible by my PC. When I go to "this PC" I noticed that my HDD drive doesn't have a bar that shows how much space I've used and when I click on my HDD (D: ) to get into the folder, it gives me "File or directory is corrupted and unreadable": the-file-or-directory-is-corrupted-and-unreadable.png (366×168) (easeus.com)
I've tried the command line "chkdsk /f d:" (d is my drive) and it is giving me this: file-record-segment-is-unreadable.jpg (357×132) (ubackup.com) It is giving me "File record segment is unreadable" for pretty much everything.

I’m thinking I might just straight replace the HDD. Based off a bit of my own research, I’m convinced it is done. I don’t have any important files on it that I want to recover anyways. That being said, I do have a few questions about replacing the HDD.

1. Do I need to tweak anything in the windows settings to let windows know I don’t want to be using the HDD anymore? Like since the letter D was set do I have to uncheck anything or unassign the letter D? Or can I just straight up unplug it from my case without having to touch any settings?
I’m wondering this because I’ve never done this before and not sure if I need to do anything to windows before taking away the HDD.

2. This question kind of links to the first in terms of doing something to windows first before removing HDD. Will I need to uninstall the programs that were on the HDD from my Uninstall Programs tab under control panel? I still see some of the icons under Uninstall Programs that belong to my HDD which is confusing me since if my PC can’t recognize the drive, why do they still appear there? What will happen if I uninstall them? Or will unplugging my dead HDD make these programs completely disappear?

3. I’ve noticed that there are still Icons of the games on my desktop that are from my HDD. The Icons are currently blank white and when I right click them, it takes 5 minutes + for a drop-down menu to show. Whereas when I right click the icons that are on my SDD, the drop-down menu is instant. Why is the drop-down menu for icons on my HDD slow to appear? Will unplugging my HDD make these icons disappear?

4. All in all, my computer feels a bit buggy ever since this HDD issue appeared. Such as right clicking the icons for drop-down is slow to appear. Opening up File Explorer and going to This PC and right clicking the HDD, the drop-down menu there is also slow to appear. One time after many restarts in my trouble shooting attempts, after right clicking an icon that was located on my HDD my screen turned to a blank white with my windows apps that I have opened only appear on the bottom left and the entire task bar was gone and desktop icons gone with only white at the back. Every time I start up my computer it would give “Scanning and repairing drive (D: ) 100% complete”(I can eventually log in though to get to my desktop). I assume every time windows starts its detecting that my HDD has issues and it’s trying to repair it every time, that might be why I’m getting this message? It would look something like this: windows-10-scanning-and-repairing-drive-c-stuck-at-100-750x430.jpg (750×430) (howtofixwindows.com) Could the HDD be causing these buggy issues or is there something else that may be causing it?

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Hi Im my experience a dead or dying HDD can give windows all sorts of problems even if the HDD is not dying
In my case it was the actuall sata chip dying But lets see If its the HDD is faulty
Can you see the disk in partition manager?
Can you put the Disk into another computer
In terms of removing the disk without unplugging it i dont think its really possible

System Name Lenovo V14
Processor Athlon Gold 3150U (2C4T 2.4 - 3.3 GHz)
Motherboard Lenovo
Cooling Laptop Cooling
Memory 4 GB onboard + 8 GB DDR4-2400 MHz Hynix
Video Card(s) Onboard Radeon Graphics
Storage 256 GB WD NVMe SSD + 480 GB Sandisk SSD Plus SATA
Display(s) Shitty 768p TN Panel
Case Laptop Case
Audio Device(s) Realtek Onboard
Power Supply 65W Laptop Charger
Mouse Logitech Mini Mouse
Keyboard Lenovo
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores As long as enough for animu
Well just a bit answer
1. Nope, you don't need to tweak anything in Windows. Just shutdown your pc, unplug the power cable from the mains and then take out the HD.
2. They are just some uninstall shortcuts. You can try to uninstall them but since your HD is undetected it will only leads to error message I think.
3, Just some shorcuts too and the reason they are white and slow on click because Windows tries to access them and failed (obviously). You can just delete them later.
4. Yeah. Honestly you could try to take off your HD and then boot the PC from the beginning. 5 years of usage from the HD is pretty decent time IMO so I think your HD is busted and just need to change it.

Processor Intel Core i5 12400F Alder Lake Hex-Core Processor @ 2.5 GHz
Motherboard Asrock B760M Pro RS/D4
Cooling Thermalright Assassin 120X Refined SE
Memory 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Dual Channel Corsair Vengeance LPX
Video Card(s) Asus RTX2060-DUAL-O6G EVO (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060)
Storage 1TB Samsung PM9A1 NVMe + 500GB Crucial P3 NVMe + 2TB WD Black P10 External HDD
Display(s) Asus VG278Q TN Full HD 144Hz Gaming Monitor
Case MSI MAG Shield 110R
Audio Device(s) Logitech G Pro X Wireless Gaming Headset
Power Supply CoolerMaster MWE Bronze v2 450W
Mouse Razer Viper V3 Hyperspeed w/ Hyperpolling Dongle + Razer Deathadder V3 Wired
Keyboard VGN VXE ATK68 Gateron Mechanical Hall-Effect| Monka 3075 V2 Pro Cherry Powder
Software AtlasOS v0.4
With a similar SSD + HDD setup, I have experienced boot issues with a bad HDD before. Same with other people I have encountered.
Better get a fresh new HDD and backup things over there imo.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
Keep in mind that any or all of the data on that drive might have been corrupted and might not be recoverable or usable. That's why we backup before we have problems.

System Name BoX-Server | 775PC
Processor I3 3.5GHZ (3150) | Modded Xeon E5450 (OC @3.60)
Motherboard ASRock B85M-ITX | ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling OEZM HSK | 92MM Heatsink RGB
Memory 8GB DDR3 | 8GB DDR2
Video Card(s) AMD 6450 | AMD RX 550 4GB
Storage 120GB SSD 1TB WD | 120GB SSD 1TB Seagate 500GB HDD <<
Display(s) DELL 17" LCD 1280x1024 | ASUS 24" LCD IPS
Case CoolerMaster 110 | RoseWill ZIRCON
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Rosewill 610WATT | Rosewill 550WATT
Mouse Input-Director| RoseWill FUSION C40
Keyboard Input-Director | RoseWill FUSION
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
That HDD is toast as you suspect. Just disconnect it and get a new one. Out of interest, you could see if it's possible to format it and store files on it again, but don't use it in any serious manner any more if it does, as you'll just lose everything again. Run a utility like Hard Disc Sentinel to check its health. It should show it as faulty. And yes, a faulty HDD with a corrupted file system will make Windows feel sick, as you found out.

As the drive has a SATA interface it's hot pluggable which means that you can connect and disconnect it from the PC with Windows running with no problems. Same with the replacement. It's just like a USB memory stick.

1TB drives are very cheap nowadays, so I'd use this as a chance to upgrade it to something bigger and better.

Also, you want a proper backup regime in place for the future. I know you said that you didn't care what was on it, but it's still recommended. There are various ways to do this, but one way is to buy two identical replacement drives, then use the free Karen's Replicator to make a mirror backup of the primary onto the secondary. This clones the data from the primary onto the secondary.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
As long as nothing required to boot windows is on the drive, simply unplugging it will be totally fine

I would assume it doesnt contain your bootloader or anything, since it would have given issues booting being corrupted/dead.

System Name Yes
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
Cooling Custom water cooling, CPU & GPU has shared 400x400 radiator 2 feet out of case
Memory 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz 16-16-16-36
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
Storage 2 TB Corsair Force Series MP600 NVMe M.2 PCIe 4.0 & 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2
Display(s) 1st: Asus 32" ROG Swift PG329Q, 175Hz (OC) WQHD 2nd: Acer 32" Predator Gaming Z321QU, 165 (OC) WQHD
Case Lian Li, originally got it for ASUS ROG Maximus XI Gene, microATX
Audio Device(s) Several diffetent, I guess...
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Provo Noste Pro, 1 wireless and some other mouses for different purposes
Keyboard Provo Kajo Opto, 1 wireless Microsoft something
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Some 16-17 000 on Time Spy
File system of that disk hasn't turned RAW yet, right? (Obviously not if Windows reads it) That could be so many things including physical damage...

Anyway....

I'm assuming your file system is NTFS, did you try chkdsk d: /r too? /f tries to fix the file record, /r locates bad sectors and recovers information it can read (disk must be locked) /r fixes similarly as /f and has bonus effort to find physical disk errors.

chkdsk d: /x dismounts the disk if necessary. Costing all open handles on it. /x also has /f function.

If you can create image of that D:\ like, say on C:,\ then you can try chkdsk d: /b which clears bad clusters on D:\ and then checks all of the allocated and free clusters for any errors. But needs image first...

You can try online scanning with chkdsk d: /scan /forceofflinefix (latter parameter is optional but may help if /scan won't cut it)

Using chkdsk d: /scan /spotfix does spot fixing on the volume.

Finally:

chkdsk d: /f /dscleanup which cleans sec descriptors no one needs anymore but may "block the view " on the disk.

Also, If I was in your shoes... I would first pull PSU plug from wall, then strip all extra wires etc, unnecessary nodes and what not, check no cable ends can hit on any metal etc, check nothing behind motherboard, then unplugged and then replugged (not satire, seriously) all power cables firmly in place at PSU, GPU and motherboard etc... keeping the powers off all together some hours before plugging PSU back on wall and repeat the earlier chkdsk rumba and if it keeps failing turn focus of recovering data and saying farewells to the disk.

Then I would walk my dog. Probably goto store...

<Edit:> all the above because it can be caused by some part getting too little or unevenly electricity, even GPU, as it can create chain of events that shows as symptom elsewhere in the system such as getting slightly wrong instruction for PC to scan certain addresses at certain file records...

Last edited:
Looking at the screenshot the OP posted, get a new hard disk as the old one is toast

1TB disks are obsolete and lower cost disks today are suprisingly low cost sy 2TB and even 4TB

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
1TB disks are obsolete and lower cost disks today are suprisingly low cost sy 2TB and even 4TB
How is a disksize obsolete?
its not like 1tb disks are useless

System Name ROG MACHINE
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard Crosshair viii Hero
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z 73 my corsair H115i kicked the bucket corsair sucks lol
Memory g-skill rgb 64gb 4x16gb ddr4 3200mgz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x oc 3080
Storage Sabren rocket gen 4 2tb m.2/ samsung 960 evo 1tb m.2/ 3x toshiba 3tb hdd , 10tb seagate, 16tb seagat
Display(s) Acer 4k monitor/ Samsung C34J79x 34 inch curved monitor
Case thermal take view 71 rgb
Audio Device(s) creative ae-5 sound card
Power Supply corsair AX 1200i 1200 watt psu
Mouse ROG CHAKRAM
Keyboard corsair k95
Software windows 11 pro 64bit
try unplugging the power to the HDD and plug it back in maybe it came loose

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
For Western Digital HDDs, check the PCB for oxidation! (rust) It's a known problem with their HDDs.

For Western Digital HDDs, check the PCB for oxidation! (rust) It's a known problem with their HDDs.

I am on the WD forum and that issue was around with the RoHS changes in solder

About that time WD started offering their new green series disks which I have one of and it still works.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I would backup your data if you can, if it can't hire a professional data recovery service, i would use a tool called disk fitness test by hitachi

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Looking at the screenshot the OP posted, get a new hard disk as the old one is toast

the early 1TB drives are slow by todays standards, but you should see how fast the brand new ones are... surprisingly, many blow past 200MB/s

I still wouldnt use them in my systems, but they sure have improved... we just dont notice fast, as mechs usually live for a bloody long time