• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick Question about load vs idle "sensor test"'s numbers

Feänor

Good afternoon,

May the future be good for you unclewebb,

For the software you created is just one of the best i've come across in my life. Simple, quite efficient and powerful. My personal reference when it comes to intel cpu, and a mandatory tool in any "Drivers" folder...

:toast:

Now to the quick question: would doing the thermal sensor test while my q6600 is loaded 100% (running Intel burn test to be precise) give me a more accurate reading of the difference in each sensor?

As my cpu is folding most of it's time, i tought (with my limited knowledge...) it would be a more "realistic" evaluation. What do you think?

Again, keep up the GREAT work!!! :rockout:

You help me fold with any cpu i come across:pimp:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
The reason I recommend using Prime95 Small FFTs during the sensor test is because at the time, it was the best program to equally load all of the cores. I haven't done a lot of testing in recent memory but as far as I know, it still does a great job of equally loading the cores.

On Core 2 CPUs, IBT / LinX / Linpack testing creates more heat but it is not a consistent load on each core so it is difficult to get some meaningful data when using it during sensor testing.

The Core 2 Quads internally consist of two separate Core 2 Duos. My testing always led me to believe that Intel intentionally used a slightly higher TJ Max on the second CPU die but this was never documented anywhere. My theory was that they did this to avoid all four cores reaching the thermal throttling temperature at the exact same time. Much better to start throttling the first two cores which is usually enough to keep the CPU in check. A performance decrease would be much more noticeable to the end user if all four cores started throttling at the same time.

The Core 2 Quads support running a different multiplier on each set of cores. There's no practical reason to do this but it's interesting all the same.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2573346&postcount=27

Thanks for the positive feedback. Just for the record, my favourite hockey team is in your province.
Go Habs Go!! :rockout:

Feänor

Thanks for the (quite detailed) answer! That is why i should use ibt to see max temp AND prime 95 for the mandatory 24hrs stable run...

Again, :toast: for your great work!

For the rest, go habs go! Even though the last few years (well maybe 20 last ones...) are not that good, one day will come we'll hold the stanley cup up high!