1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick Question for 6950 unlocked shaders only

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by turok_t, Apr 6, 2011.

1. turok_t New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys i have a Sapphire 6950 with unlocked shaders only using one of the saphhire bios that was posted in the thread by wizzard.... When I use MSI afterburner or CCC, i can only overclocking my core to 840Mhz. Is there another program that I can use for higher overclocking? Thanks

2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    You can overclock further by enabling unofficial overclocking. Doing that enables high overclocking, and unlocking voltage control allows for higher clocks still.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. turok_t New Member

Thanks Received:
    For some reason, its not working for me. I followed the guide and i still cant adjust the clock higher. However, my config file also had these:

UnofficialOverclockingEULA =
    UnofficialOverclockingMode = 0
    AccessibilityCheckingPeriod = 0

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it to work after reading all the replies :)

5. turok_t New Member

Thanks Received:
    So my 6950/6970 is still running a bit hot. With Crysis 2, Im getting around 90-92C (fan set to 65-70%) when the GPU is full load. I already changed the thermal paste to AS 5 and reheated the heatsink. Currently, my clock speeds are set to 855/1300 using 1.1mV for the gpu core. I want to further overclock my card but im worried about the temperatures. Any suggestions?

6. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    Seems pretty hot. If you're running the 6970 bios, try the shader only bios

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Turn the fan up more, get better cooling, or turn your OC down. Those are your only options.

That said, how good is your case airflow? Sounds like you may need to clean up some wiring or add fans.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Those temps are not normal, did not get these temps at 1000/1350 with the 6970 BIOS I was getting mid 60's with fan at 65% ... as Wile E said you need some major airflow.

9. jayc New Member

Thanks Received:
    What was the temps before you changed paste?
    Maybe you stuffed up the process. Too much paste, didn't reseat the Heatsink properly, not tight enough?

10. turok_t New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am using the unlocked bios only and my speeds are set to 855 for the core, and 1300 for the memory and 1.1mV for the GPU voltage. Those temps were taken when playing Crysis 2 only, havent tried loading other programs. I barely overclocked the card and temps are that high already..

Currently im using a Corsair 800D case with NO wires in the main chamber of the case since the case was designed with the rubber gourmets for the cables to be wired to the back...I have an intake fan at the bottom and an rear output fan next to the CPU cooler

11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Add more fans. And double check your card's cooler. It might not be seated properly.

10 Year Member at TPU