• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quiet laptop fans?

amihail1

Any PC builder buffs out there recommend some extra quiet laptop fans? The whining of these stock fans is driving me insane ...

Any PC builder buffs out there recommend some extra quiet laptop fans? The whining of these stock fans is driving me insane ...
Do you have a model number and system specs for us? There are a ton of different cooling options out there and before anyone can give any real advice we need to know what we're working with.

amihail1

Do you have a model number and system specs for us? There are a ton of different cooling options out there and before anyone can give any real advice we need to know what we're working with.

I'm looking to modify an already built laptop - a Razer Blade 17 to be specific, I'm not too sure what the model numbers are for the 4 laptop fans currently in there but I know they whine like crazy even at low speeds!

I'm looking to modify an already built laptop - a Razer Blade 17 to be specific, I'm not too sure what the model numbers are for the 4 laptop fans currently in there but I know they whine like crazy even at low speeds!
Ah ok. There's not a whole lot outside of the BIOS fan profiles and the Razer Windows utility. Have you tried those?

just pull them out, they're not needed, laptops are built for fanless operations really and they are really just put in there to make noise. think of it like an electric car with the artificial sound of a petrol powered car to give it some ooomph and let people who are crossing the roads know that something is coming.

I am jk of course... do not pull the fans out of your expensive laptop :p but would need the exact model number to determine what kind of fans that are inside, I would only do this after replacing the termal paste and cleaning the fans/internals and trying to set a custom fan profile BTW all of which are much easier to do

amihail1

Ah ok. There's not a whole lot outside of the BIOS fan profiles and the Razer Windows utility. Have you tried those?

Yes all of the obvious mods have been applied, the things whine loud as F.

just pull them out, they're not needed, laptops are built for fanless operations really and they are really just put in there to make noise. think of it like an electric car with the artificial sound of a petrol powered car to give it some ooomph and let people who are crossing the roads know that something is coming.

I am jk of course... do not pull the fans out of your expensive laptop :p but would need the exact model number to determine what kind of fans that are inside, I would only do this after replacing the termal paste and cleaning the fans/internals and trying to set a custom fan profile BTW all of which are much easier to do

I highly doubt ripping them out is a good idea, this thing is 50 degrees idle, its a powerful machine that runs very warm!

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
just pull them out, they're not needed, laptops are built for fanless operations really
Oh my GAWD ...............if they were not needed and they are >>>> the manafacture would not fit them and save cents in production (it all adds up )

Please save your advice for THW

System Name HP Pavilion a6552f
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
Motherboard Asus IPIBL-LB / HP Benicia-GL8E
Cooling DeepCool Gammaxx 200
Memory 8gigs Kingston 4x2gigs DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Zotac GT630 "Fermi" 2gb DDR3 128bits Synergy Edition
Storage Western Digital Green 7200rpm 1tb
Display(s) LG Flatron EW234 Super LED
Case HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 430w
Mouse Razer Abyssus Mirror Special Edition Blue LED
Keyboard Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS Commander Red LED Backlighting Mechanical Keycaps Membrane Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits
Oh my GAWD ...............if they were not needed and they are >>>> the manafacture would not fit them and save cents in production (it all adds up )

The Hobos World ?

You didnt click the spoiler button I guess :slap:

I highly doubt ripping them out is a good idea, this thing is 50 degrees idle, its a powerful machine that runs very warm!

Seems there's a few who need educating on how to click a spoiler button, I'll see myself out ppl

Um, guys...
You didnt click the spoiler button I guess :slap:
...there was this. Click on it... :laugh::roll:

I'm sorry man. Not much else you can do unless you want to start adding resistors to the fan power circuit, which involves some soldering..

Last edited:

amihail1

Um, guys...

...there was this. Click on it... :laugh::roll:

I'm sorry man. Not much else you can do unless you want to start adding resistors to the fan power circuit, which involves some soldering..

I'd be happy with some soldering work with the right guidance. :)

I'd be happy with some soldering work with the right guidance. :)
Ok, you've got some courage. The idea is simple, add a resistor to the 5v line of a given fan and the fan will spin slower because the resistor will reduce the voltage. How much slower depends on how much resistance. A 500ohm resistor will have a lesser effect than a 1000ohm resistor. Try remember also, the slower the fans go, the hotter the system components get so you will need to reduce the speed of the CPU and GPU by a similar gradient.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Oh so now you are gonna say something about the fans after flashing the 2060 that builds up more heat than it did previously, with the size of fans in said laptop they will need to rotate faster just to prevent overheating, perhaps you should put the gpu back to stock and then get a laptop fan pad.

Laptops need faster fans duecto size constraints.

Ok, you've got some courage. The idea is simple, add a resistor to the 5v line of a given fan and the fan will spin slower because the resistor will reduce the voltage. How much slower depends on how much resistance. A 500ohm resistor will have a lesser effect than a 1000ohm resistor. Try remember also, the slower the fans go, the hotter the system components get so you will need to reduce the speed of the CPU and GPU by a similar gradient.

His gpu is building more heat than previously due to crossflashing

amihail1

Oh so now you are gonna say something about the fans after flashing the 2060 that builds up more heat than it did previously, with the size of fans in said laptop they will need to rotate faster just to prevent overheating, perhaps you should put the gpu back to stock and then get a laptop fan pad.

Laptops need faster fans duecto size constraints.

His gpu is building more heat than previously due to crossflashing

It's nothing to do with heat, the fans whine loud as hell at any speed ... I feel like I'm repeating myself over and over.

Here's my temps BFV on full Ultra:
1581773473131.png

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Its the size of them is why.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I thought as much, is there smaller/quieter aftermarket laptop fans out there?

Yes and then thermal throttling will happen with cpu, ram, gpu.