• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[FS/FT][US] R-T-B's IBM Museum, 1980's Model M Keyboard, Thinkpad R51, IDE HD's, and other legacy gear!!

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I could clutter this post up about the awesome condition of my items. They really are for the most part, museum grade (The Thinkpad in particular). The non-IBM items are also in decent shape, but I'll let the pictures do the talking. Prices and brief descriptions are below, but please do yourself a favor and view the pretty pictures:

First up, how things work:

I'm pricing these things low. This is an auction style thread that will run until Tuesday next week. The price you see is a minimum recommended bid, and may be raised as time progresses. If you want an item badly, I suggest you bid over that figure to ensure your receipt of it. I will of course inform you if your offer is bested. If the offer is good enough I may just accept it outright too! ;)

First Item:

IBM Model M keyboard from 1980's (White label, 89 IIRC) + IBM extra long SDL-PS/2 cord with included USB adapter. These are the famous indestructible keyboards that you can literally beat a man to death with and still type about it on some creepy serial killer forum afterwords. Seriously, it's hardcore durable keyboard with a unmatched mechanical "buckling spring" keyswitch whose feel has yet to be truly matched. The "birth certificate" has some water damage, but the keyboard is clean and every key works (naturally). Suggested minimum bid price: $30

Second Item:

IBM Thinkpad R51 + Original IBM branded leather case. Museum grade condition. Comes with your choice of a copy of "Ecomstation" (modern IBM OS/2, available for kicks) preloaded with relevant OS/2 IBM and Serenity Systems licenses, but I'll gladly preload something else like XP (has COA) or Linux (probably your best bet). Has 768MBs of DDR1 ram, 256MBs of it onboard (possibly in a DIMM, never opened it to look) and 512MBs in a single Micron branded DIMM. Comes with your choice of HD from the below, the Hitachi is the only one however that supports the APS (Active Protection System, parks HD heads when dropped) features as it was the original HD. Your choice takes precedence over bidders on the HDs.The original owner kept this thing in absolutely museum quality. He was a court judge (hence the Washington court IT tracking sticker, it's sale has been permitted so no worries there), but he used it probably 2 times in his whole life. It mostly sat on his desk and acted as a screen for court transcripts, never being actually touched or used. Suggested minimum bid price: $65

The HD collection:

1.) Hitachi IDE 2.5" 60GB 7200RPM HD. Came with the thinkpad R51. Examined with a surface test and SMART software. surface test passes, SMART details show one relocated bad sector, probably a defect from manufacturing. Overall health rates as 98% with probably quite a bit of life left in the drive. Pretty good from an era when these drives were known as Hitachi "Deathstars" instead of Deskstars ;) Only drive here that supports the head parking feature of Thinkpad APS.

2.) Toshiba IDE 2.5" 80GB 5400RPM HD. Examined with a surface test and SMART software. Flawless results, 100% health. Quiet and energy efficient for it's age. Does NOT support APS in the thinkpad, so turn that off. Was pulled from an Apple Powerbook G4, but works in PCs fine.

3.) Seagate IDE 3.5" 160GB 7200RPM 3.5" HD. Examined with a surface test and SMART software, flawless 100% results. Good for an old PC. I think it has 3 platters, but can't be certain. Probably about 8MBs of cache in this one, though not specified.

Suggested minimum bid for all IDE drives: $25

Finally, most modern item here, but still old enough to belong:

1GB DDR2-667 Crucial branded SODIMM. New in packing. See photos. Not much else to say. :)

Suggested minimum bid for crucial DIMM: $15

Finally, pictures:

Heat:
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63621

Remember kids, auction ends 11:59pm Monday the 28th!

Last edited:
System Name Nerd 7
Processor Phenom II 980 x4
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990-FXA-UD5
Cooling Coolermaster TX2
Memory 16gb PC3-10700
Video Card(s) Radeon 6950
Storage 512gb SSD, 2x 2TB Raid 1, 1.5tb Caviar black
Display(s) Benq V2400w, HP w1907, Dell E193FP, Dell 1704FPV
Case Lanboy Air
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Software Mint 13 x64 / Win 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores I put a small scratch in my workbench when I moved it.
I am using a model M keyboard now, although mine is from 1992.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Heh, yeah, they are the best typing keyboards around no doubt... great feel to them. I'm only parting with it because I move between locations a lot and it's a heavy one to carry around. ;)

There hasn't been a lot of interest yet, so people might be able to get some good deals if they bid soon. Otherwise it's going to be ebay for a lot of this. ;)